Putmalk's Sengoku: Sword of the Shogun Scenario for Vox Populi

Putmalk

Deity

CURRENT VERSION: v0.1 (BETA)​

DOWNLOAD HERE

Github Repository (REPORT ISSUES HERE)

Putmalk's Sengoku: Sword of Shogun​

Step into the heart of a tumultuous era in Japanese history in an immersive scenario that transports you to Feudal Japan. Become a fearless daimyo, a powerful feudal lord, and engage in a thrilling battle for supremacy over the fractured lands of Japan. As you assemble your loyal samurai, cunning strategists, and formidable armies, the fate of an entire nation lies in your hands. Unleash your tactical prowess as you navigate treacherous alliances, wage epic battles on breathtaking landscapes, and forge a legacy that will be remembered throughout the ages. Will you rise above the rival warlords, conquer the realms, and unite Japan under your banner?

SCENARIO DESCRIPTION​

The year is 1540. Once-unified Japan has fractured into numerous warring factions, led by powerful warlords who seek to become the Shogun and force their rivals to bow before them. It is a time of unprecedented upheaval and opportunity, where the clash of steel echoes across the land, the scent of gunpowder fills the air, and the dreams of countless daimyo fuel the fires of ambition. Are you ready to become the Shogun of Japan?

SCENARIO FEATURES​

1. 11 playable Japanese clans from the Sengoku Feudal Japan period.
  2. The entire game has been themed around Feudal Japan, including brand new religions, social policies, buildings, units, and technologies
  3. A custom map of Japan
  4. New soundtrack / sounds
  5. Ethnic units for the time period
  6. Custom artwork
1690338948130.png

1690338492676.png
1690338499417.png
1690338507538.png

Author's Note​

This scenario is inspired heavily by Shogun II: Total War, and Civilization 3's Sengoku Jidai scenarios. Featuring an entirely rebalanced game, fight against your opponents to conquer Japan in this Firaxis-like scenario.

This scenario is still in beta and given the large number of changes, it is largely unbalanced. I am most active on discord (https://discord.com/channels/707403015845576735/1024137023105277953) or github (https://github.com/mwhiter/SengokuScenario/issues?q=is:issue+is:open+sort:updated-desc). Please post any bugs on Github or feedback here or on Discord.

Last edited:
How to install properly though ? Modded scenarios can be tricky to fiddle with.

How to install properly though ? Modded scenarios can be tricky to fiddle with.

There is a .zip file in the Releases folder. Extract the .modinfo's contained into your ~\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS folder and load up Civ 5 and activate the two mods. The mod will tell you instructions on how to activate it (dependent on Community Patch, Vox Populi, and Sengoku Scenario Art. Once the mod loads, follow instructions just like you would any other Firaxis scenario.

Cheers!

So, after an auto-game, here are some early things to say (mix of bugs and ingame problems) :
- Barbarians doesn't seem to have their civ icon appear
- Shimazu's DoM picture didn't load
- City-States and barbarians used recon units, which in base VP is never the case
- The Tokugawa AI declared independence on turn 10 and got wiped out within 50 turns by the Imagawa
- As you said before, everybody chooses Bushido
- Ikko-Ikki currently uses Samurai, and I didn't see a single warrior monk during the game
- Too many people seem to use Escaladers in the early game (sometimes half an army is made of it)
- I saw Shinto players using Inquisitors. Is it intended ?
- All non-founder factions spawned Great Prophets during the game (4 for the Hojo for example)
- Except against the Tokugawa, no war has been decisively : I do suspect defense buildings to be too powerful currently
- No vassalage happened, as a direct consequence to what said above
- The Chosokabe colors (taken from Shogun 2, I know) are exactly the same as some CStates
- There seem to be too few buildings : at around 2/3 of the game, almost all cities run processes
- I saw Chosokabe using Tercio and having Uprising policies despite being Shinto
- In the late game, embarked units use Modern Era ship models
- Only the Capital cities of factions use their main religion, leading to difficulties playing the religion game => all cities of a faction should be of that faction's religion from the start

You could use numerous existing 3d models and icons from other mods if you want to perfect the aesthetic of your project, for example :
- using janboruta's unit icon for the Daimyo to replace the one used by the GGeneral ;
- PorkBean's unit icon for the worker ;
- grant's 3d model for the Citadel.
PorkBean's Ambition mod has many interesting assets that could be used if you asked.

Some personal suggestions now :
- I suggest replacing the current adjective for the barbarians, "ronin", with one less loaded and easier to employ : "Zoku" (simply meaning bandit) => most ronins weren't dangerous, and they mostly grew up in number after the war ended + having Ronin Ashigaru doesn't feel well.
- I think the current era names, although good enough, could be replaced by more interesting ones (post-Onin Era > Sengoku Era > Shokuho Era > Edo Era)
- Knowing the nature of the scenario, I do think that razing should be hastened : it can be done in the Traits table very easily
- Izumo, where the most ancient shrine in Japan is located, should be the Holy City for Shinto I think => there is already enough Shinto pressure in the east / north of the map, and it creates an interesting objective for the Otomo and Ikko-Ikki to capture and destroy in the midgame.

I have many more things to say, but I don't want to be overwhelming, so I stop there for now.

Last edited:
Got CTD when trying to launch game, I activated vox populi full list (43 civ install and EUI). It loads for 2-3 seconds then crash... That's a shame, I really wanted to try it

I have units from Civ IV that I have made that could be used for this mod to make it further authentic. :)

Top Bottom