Qn: When do wonders become obsolete?

spiffamoo

Chieftain
Hi everyone, I just wanted to know when wonders become obsolete. Do they lose their effect when ANY civ gets the related technology? Or is it specifically your civilization?

And more importantly, how do you tell when a wonder has lost its effect?? I tried poking round the city screen but couldn't really see any indicators.

Hoping for some kind soul to enlighten me....:confused:

They obsolete when the player possessing the wonder obtains the obsoleting tech... (IIRC you get a notification pop-up)...

Apparently it's when you discover the tech, unlike the previous games. I prefer it this way, personally. If nothing else, it takes the edge off being behind in tech a bit.

Kilroy said:
Apparently it's when you discover the tech, unlike the previous games. I prefer it this way, personally. If nothing else, it takes the edge off being behind in tech a bit.
It was this way in CIV 3 as well, so it's not new. I don't remember how it was is CIV 1/2, though.

Same way in civ1 and 2. Anything you own gets obsolete when you discover the obsoleting tech.

I think the ONLY exception in civ1 and civ2 was when anyone discovered Gunpowder the Great Wall would stop being effective. I could be mistaken it's been YEARS since I played those ;)

narmox said:
Same way in civ1 and 2. Anything you own gets obsolete when you discover the obsoleting tech.

I think the ONLY exception in civ1 and civ2 was when anyone discovered Gunpowder the Great Wall would stop being effective. I could be mistaken it's been YEARS since I played those ;)
I only ever played the SNES version of Civ1, but I'm positive that that one, at least, obsoleted wonders regardless of who discovered the tech. Maybe it was different on the PC.

In Civ 1 and 2, wonders were obsolete as soon as anyone discovered the right tech. Civ 3, I'm not sure, I assumed it was the same but to be honest I never checked.

I really like how with Civ 4, your wonders only obsolete when you discover the tech yourself. I have played several games putting off Calendar till the last possible moment, to get the most culture from Stonehenge and the free obelisks.

--Julian

Top Bottom