Question about Airforce

JohnnyIsGood

Chieftain
I was really excited about CivIII when it came out, I bought the game and I found out it was riddled with problems that prevented me from enjoying the game. It was a frustrating experience but I was thinking of giving it a try again.

The only problem I remember right now is this: is it still impossible to destroy a ground unit with an aerial attack? Even after the patch that fixed a lot of things about airforces, I think this remained as a feature. You can reduce a ground unit's strength to the minimum but it can't be destroyed. Is it still like this? Thanks.

P.S: Are there good customised WWII scenarios out there? This was touted as a feature but I never saw it. Sorry if I'm outdated.

Oh... thanks, that's disappointing. I had compiled a big list of problems with the game (IMO) but I can't find it.

For example I will stand by my belief that the same aerial attack on equal units with different strenghts should be more devastating on the stronger one (because of a higher density of elements) but obviously a weak unit should be destroyed by a bomber attack for example. Pisses me off!

Yea, alot of people disagree with with the bombardment of airforce & naval units not being able to kill units. I'm pretty nutural in the discussion. You just have to adopt a diffrent strategy with them. Use the airforce to take out their lux/resorces/& soften up the backup units, then use 1 of you tanks to go put the finishing blow in(you might even get a leader:))

I believe that you can modify the bombardment units to do lethal bombardment with the editor. I know you can do this with PTW, not sure with regular civ3 though.

Originally posted by Gengis Khan
Yea, alot of people disagree with with the bombardment of airforce & naval units not being able to kill units. I'm pretty nutural in the discussion. You just have to adopt a diffrent strategy with them. Use the airforce to take out their lux/resorces/& soften up the backup units, then use 1 of you tanks to go put the finishing blow in(you might even get a leader:))

That's my point, it is limiting strategicaly. For instance if you are a continental empire you can't opt to spread cruise missiles along your seashores and a few planes for scouting, instead you have to build a more expensive navy and micromanage it. Doesn't make sense to me, I'll look into buying PtW.

Without a good engine no amount of civs and units will save this game. I only like to play "last king standing" though, and always with the same setting and civilization (Germans).

Try this.

Go to your civilization 3 folder.

Find the file Civ3.bic, and make a copy of it.

rename the file original.bic, and move or copy it to a different directory. Dont' forget where it is!

Open your editor.

Load the Civ3.bic file.

Click on the Custom Rules line in the menus. Not quite sure where it is, but you'll see it by paging through the menus.

On the drop down box, select 'Units'.

In the lower left hand box, there are rules that you can turn on or off. Find the Catapult, Cannon, Artillery, and Radar Artillery units. For each one, scroll through the list and hold down the control key while clicking on 'Lethal bombardment' Sea and ground rules.

Do the same for the Bomber, Jet Fighter, F-15, Stealth Fighter and Stealth Bomber.

Might want to do the same for your naval units as well.

Now you can have lethal bombardment for your units, and this will become a standard rule. I think by copying it to the civ3.bic file, you'll still keep your high scores.

As for the WW2 scen, wait until Conquests. There should be a good one out by then, but it will be fore Conquests, not just VC3.

Thank you Turner_727, I am forever grateful! I did what you said, I think the file you wanted to refer is civ3mod.bic. Anyway didn't have the chance to test it yet but I'm pretty sure that will do the trick. Thanks again!

Cruise missiles will sink damaged ships and destroy damaged units, at least in 1.21. If you cruise missile a red or (usually) yellow unit or ship, it will die.

A combo of artillery and cruise missiles is great for island-continent defence. Now, if there were a way to transport the cruise missiles off the land mass that built them... (That part drives me crazy; carriers at least, if not transports, should be able to carry cruise missiles.)

Top Bottom