Question about defensive pacts and the warmonger tag.

1. Does the AI ever sign defensive pacts, with other AIs or the player?

2.Since the warmonger tag seems to cause so much trouble, with the AI refusing to surrender at all, is there a way to disable it?

1) Very rarely. Defensive pacts are a huge commitment, so it's very rare that they'd sign one.
2) There probably is a mod. Information if you can't find one: The way I heard it works is something like a point system where declaring war is worth 5 points (per declaration) and taking a city is worth 10 (per city). Different AIs probably have different tolerance levels.

1) I've never seen one take the initiative, but it's pretty easy to get one with a friendly AI if you ask. Usually they'll either do it for free or refuse altogether.

I have had many defensive pacts with the AI. If they are near another powerful AI and friendly with you they sign a defensive pact easily. I once had one with Siam that he renewed with me every time it expired. We kept it basically the whole game.

I think other civs take into consideration your defensive pacts.
Once the Inca have effectively conquered all their continent, with the Iroqouis being the only "resistance". I was alone with Arabia on my continent, and Arabia was getting ready for war. I could've wiped them out (AI, duh?) but I wasn't willing to fight. So I singed a defensive pact with the Iroqouis. The plan worked, and for 30 turns, the world was at peace.
And then!
The dp ended, and one single turn later, the Inca declare war on the Iroqouis. Apparently, the Inca were not willing to fight us both.

Moral: the AI takes into consideration your dp, even if they don't sign them, AND Harun will gladly build enough units to fill his entire territory and live with a -900 gpt economy.

Top Bottom