Question about Mana nodes

Madhatter4

Chieftain
If I upgrade a mana resource into a mana node do I have to make a road to that resource in order to have access to it? I know thats the case with standard resources but Im not sure if the same rule applies to mana..

The super resources appear to grant bonus' automatically. IE Yggdrasil Pool of Tears etc. Perhaps using some of that code? Just off the top of my head I haven't looked at it myself.

No, those still require trade routes too to get the resources they provide (and many of them, like the Pool of Tears, don't provide resources anyway).

Another quick question about Mana resources. Why do all the AI civs want my earth mana so badly? Seems like every couple turns they are trying to trade me some lame resource like fish for my mana(Which I always refuse).:rolleyes:

Don't know. It isn't a bad choice though, as it makes them more likely to discover resources of their own.

Really? Earth mana means that your mined hills are more likely to "pop another one" TM?

Besides enchantment mana which grants +1 happy, what other passive effects do mana nodes have?

EDIT: I also know that chaos nodes have a very small chance of making any unit you create have the mutation effect (observed that for the first time ever last night when i got a free blitz promo on a ranger who promptly went on to earn mobility one and two).

I.

Body: +5% to heal rate of friendly units within your borders
Chaos: +2% to mutation chance
Death: -1 to AI relations (I believe this is with neutral and good civs)
Earth: Increases the chance of discovering new resources
Enchantment: 1 happy
Entropy: -5% to heal rate of enemy units within your borders
-2 to AI relations
Law: -5% to maintenance costs
Life: +1 health
Mind: +3% to research
Spirit: +5% to Great Person Growth

I'm sure I missed one because I'm going off of xienwolf's sig.

Is this cumulative? Could i greatly increase my research rate by having access to multiple 'mind' mana?

I.

Entropy: -5% to heal rate of enemy units within your borders

Does it damages units which are moving? (if they are not healing with March)

Yes, they are all cumulative (except possibly the relations hits, haven't tested that).

No, Entropy cannot cause the enemy to actually take damage. That was the original intent, but the AI would see their units are damaged, so fortify to heal, and of course continue to get damaged...

Also, some of these bonuses don't show up in the "breakdown" of where your points are coming from in the city screen, but they DO show up in the tabulation (ie - if you have 1 mind mana it might show "75 :science: from worked tiles + 25 :science: from buildings" but you will actually be producing 103 :science: in that city, due to the 3% gain of your mind mana.

Well, a Mine has <iDiscoverRand>10000</iDiscoverRand>, and an Earth Mana provides <iDiscoverRandModifier>20</iDiscoverRandModifier>.

If you use the World Builder mouseovers, you see a 1 in 38% Chance of Discovering... on a normal mine, and you cannot get such a tip on a mine that reflects the changes from Earth mana. (Using the Civlopedia by the way gives you a junk number)

My guess would be that it is probably a roll on a 0 to 10000 random, and if it gets under 100 then you discover a resource normally. Now, without any earth mana you don't seem to discover all that much, but with 5 earth mana you make a discovery almost every turn. Thus I would think that the modifier of 20 divides your result. So essentially with 1 earth mana you are now doing a random 0 to 500, need a value under 100. With 2 it is now 0 to 250, then 0 to 167, 0 to 125, 0 to 100....

But this does seem a little TOO likely too fast.

The other way it could work is that the 20 modifier adds. So you always random from 0 to 10000, but without earth mana you need a 100, with 1 mana you need a 120, 2 mana for a 140....

But this seems a little too UNLIKELY.

End result... here's some numbers! Earth Mana does something!

Seems like there are dozens of different types of Mana...... How do I decide which one to upgrade a mana node into?

Depends on the situation & playstyle ;)

yeah, like if you're aiming for the tower of mastery, or there are spells you like the best.

I personally have one fire for the spells and then the rest are stacked depending on my objectives for the game. i like to stack my bonuses because in my experience, diversification is not all that helpful (depending on map type and such... like i would need courage if i'm gonna take on the dragons).

Top Bottom