Question about Steam

Is your internet poor quality as in unreliable, or as in slow?
Both, usually. Speed is bearable a lot of the time (e.g. using the forums here) but at other times the connection can't even be established for hours at a time.
I suggest you may want to buy a physical copy of the game if downloading it may be a problem for you.

So no deluxe edition for me?

Both, usually. Speed is bearable a lot of the time (e.g. using the forums here) but at other times the connection can't even be established for hours at a time.

While a download manager can overcome some hickups while trying to download several gigabytes of data, it's not really going to save the day on the type of connection you're describing. So yes, if you go retail, the deluxe version is not an option for you.

:(

There is one solution - if you know someone else who has also bought the delux edition, he can just send you his files on an external HD or something. If you start the game downloading, exit steam, copy all of your friend's files in there it will just go "validating... done" and let you play without having to download anything.

There is an option that appears to turn it off, but I've not tried using it.

That's all I need then, thanks.
I don't care about their sales. I only buy stuff when I want/need to buy something, not when someone offers me a deal.

As I said in previous posts, my internet connection is pretty shocking. I'm still in a battle with my ISP to get it fixed (have been for more than 2 months now).

Without giving you my life story, there is a small concern that the money I spend on the game will be wasted on something I am not able to download for perhaps several weeks after release. If this happened, buying the disc in the store would be the more pain-free route to take.

Firewall, router etc. is non-issue. It's the physical connection (the copper twisted pairs - infrastructure I have no control over) that is the possible cause of a possible problem. Sepcially, a bucketload of interference that shouldn't be there, increasing error rates and obliterating any decent bandwidth or connection reliability.

Then buy the disc at retail, install from the disc, and activate/patch it through Steam. That will make your download total very small, definitely less than 1 GB.

That's all I need then, thanks.
I don't care about their sales. I only buy stuff when I want/need to buy something, not when someone offers me a deal.

Sometimes those deals are too hot to resist. Like when Evil Genius went on sale for $1.99

Then buy the disc at retail, install from the disc, and activate/patch it through Steam. That will make your download total very small, definitely less than 1 GB.

You might have missed the discussion following that post. The problem is that this appears to exclude me from purchasing the Deluxe Edition.

If Firaxis or Take Two announce the DE will be available through a disc version, whether pre-order or not, I will be contented.
Think I should start a petition on this... :)

:(

There is one solution - if you know someone else who has also bought the delux edition, he can just send you his files on an external HD or something. If you start the game downloading, exit steam, copy all of your friend's files in there it will just go "validating... done" and let you play without having to download anything.

How certain can you be that that would work?

If that was an option, it would give me peace of mind to purchase the DE by pre-order, not worrying that I mightn't be able to actually download the game.

Still, it would be much simpler and nicer to the community if there was a disc for the Deluxe Edition too. Given that it's quite common for Deluxe Editions to be popular among those who buy the boxed version, I would have thought it would make good business sense to have a boxed version for it as well.

The cynic in me thinks the DE and/or its content will eventually be available from a disc version or from a post-release purchase anyway. :( I might ask 2KElizabeth about this.

If that was an option, it would give me peace of mind to purchase the DE by pre-order, not worrying that I mightn't be able to actually download the game.

Still, it would be much simpler and nicer to the community if there was a disc for the Deluxe Edition too. Given that it's quite common for Deluxe Editions to be popular among those who buy the boxed version, I would have thought it would make good business sense to have a boxed version for it as well.

The cynic in me thinks the DE and/or its content will eventually be available from a disc version or from a post-release purchase anyway. :( I might ask 2KElizabeth about this.

I've done it many times before with other games. Made a copy of a steam game I own, gone round to my friend's house and logged into one of his computers with my steam account, copied the files over and voilà, playing the game.

Backing up your games works in exactly the same way.

You are right, but shelve space in a game store is not free. Having multiple copies of the same game - that is, one for regular and one deluxe edition - is typically not too hot for the vendor.

I join you in suspecting that there eventually will be a version in a box where the Babylonian civ will be available for everyone. Here is to hoping. :)

Im in the no home internet boat and am able to activate the game at my moms. I have a question about patches. Am i able to dl the patch only from steam? And if so would i be able to logon steam at my moms, dl the patch or dlc or wateva, and burn it to a dvd or drive? I just would hate to go back and fortb with my desktop every now and then. I think 2k elizabeth was asked this, im just not aware if she answered. Maybe you kno? Thanks in advance.

Be wary in buying a boxed version. For Supreme Comander 2, the disk only contained the STEAM install and the activation to download the game. Unless it is confirmed that the game data is on the disk, i would be wary about purchasing it.

IMO, the best option for those with shaky connections is getting it from a friends internet by backing up the files like above. Its foolproof and has never failed me.

1. Will I still be able to tweak .xml, .dat files and the likes of the game to my own liking?
2. Will Steam affect modding? To what extent? Will the effects be negative?
3. With regards to customizing my game (editing files, choosing to play without certain updates, etc.), how much will Steam limit my freedom?

1. Yes
2. No
2. Not at all

All Steam will be is a delivery platform. It will be the same as you buying CivV in the store, just no DVD.

Top Bottom