Question For Lefties

John L

Crusty Old Fart
I'm left handed, and have been a Civ player for almost twenty years. But I have some Civilization games that are a royal pain in the 'Backside' to play, because they are not user friendly to lefties.

So my question is: which Civilization to you like best, based on it being user friendly to Lefties? And please explain why it is more user friendly than others. I have my favorite one, but will let others give their opinions first.

I am lefthanded too, but I must admit that I do not understand what part of Civ is impractical for lefthanded people in your eyes. :confused:

I use however my computer mouse with the right hand most of the time.

I favour CIV3, but this has to do with the contend, not with the handling. ;)

I am left handed and use the mouse in my left. I have used my right hand, but not in the last few years. I see no issues. It was a pain for some real time games as they want you to use keys on the left side of the KB.

I guess I'm just a power player then. Naturally I use my left hand for the mouse. But my right hand is always there to use up-down-left-right directions. And too, the 'enter' button is in two places, but mostly the far right one on the numeral pad is what I use most often. I'm constantly using both hands in one fluid motion, and its something that right handed players simply cannot do. So I move very, very fast through the process.

Civ III is made with a leftie in mind IMO. Someone on the development staff was left handed, and made sure it was user friendly for Lefties.

Civ IV on the other hand, is a total mess in that regard. Totally different staff of developers on that project, I'm certain. It is a Royal Pain in the arse for me to play with any degree of quickness, and its one of the main reasons why I hardly ever play it.

I haven't even tried playing Civ V, because I'm sure the same basic development staff were also on Civ IV. Hey, all those graphics are nice and all, but that's just fluff when it comes to real meat on a game.

Anyway, I would suggest if you are left handed, try to see if you can get the most out of both hands by using left hand mouse for 'selection', and the right hand for 'action'. It makes a Huge difference in the play of the game.

I've never noticed any problems, but I'm semi-ambidextrous and am wholly comfortable using my right hand for the number pad..

I'm still hoping to get some respondents willing to tell me which Civilization they like best, based on being left handed. So far, nobody has answered that one.

I would expect that in a civ3 forum, most prefer III. I liked IV, but not as much and disliked V.

Top Bottom