Questions on Tanks

Originally posted by Akka:
Mmh...
Actually you're proving my own point.
The technological advantage of Allied forces in Gulf War was so overwhelming that their loses came more from friendly fire than from Iraqis. It rather prove that when you're outclassed technologically, you're no more a threat on the battlefield.
(remember : allied forces had less than 2000 dead, Iraqis had more than 100 000).

No, your point was tanks shouldn't be lost when attacking technically inferior units (or only very, very rarely).

I was pointing out that regardless of how much you outclass your opponent (and the US outclass them more in resources available rather than huge technical advantage) you have to expect some losses.

As you point out, even with the might of the US forces (sorry, "Coalition" forces) there were roughly 2% losses in personnel (I'm taking your word for it - I don't know). And that is just the numbers for people. How many vehicles/tanks/planes?

Now when talking just a single civ tank unit being attacked by a civ calvary unit, that is a much more even battle than the US vs. Iraq. I see that as a risky situation for the tank. With civ numbers they should win twice as often as they lose. That sounds about right. It is hardly a slam-dunk situation like the Gulf War.

And that is for attacking a tank on grassland - as vunerable as a unit can get. Fortify the tank or put it in a forest and it wins 4 times as often as loses. Put it on a hill it wins 5 times as often as it loses. In a city, 6 times as often. And all this for a regular tank - if you go up to veteren or elite and the advantage gets even greater.

If modern units just rolled over lower tech units with only miniscule losses, the game would lose much of its appeal. It would be a big race to see who could get tanks first. As I move up the difficulty scale, the AI sometimes beats me there. It would really suck if they were nearly invincible.

Originally posted by EvanCiv

No, your point was tanks shouldn't be lost when attacking technically inferior units (or only very, very rarely).

I think I'm still able to know what was my point. My point was :
1) Technology is of the highest importance and it DOES matter.
2) Any unit that is fighting another unit with a big tech gap should win with at most one or two hit points lost.

I was pointing out that regardless of how much you outclass your opponent (and the US outclass them more in resources available rather than huge technical advantage) you have to expect some losses.

If you think that the Allied forces in Iraq did not outclassed technologically their opponent, perhaps that you should stop playing Civ where there is only tanks and modern armor. There is a lot more technology involved than just the two-three different stages that show in Civ3.
And "having some very light casualty against an opponent that is 20 years behind in tech" is in no way comparable to "losing some divisions against an opponent who use stone age units against high-tech ones".

As you point out, even with the might of the US forces (sorry, "Coalition" forces) there were roughly 2% losses in personnel (I'm taking your word for it - I don't know). And that is just the numbers for people. How many vehicles/tanks/planes?

Not enough to justify the lose of a single unit. Just perhaps one or two hit points lost.

Now when talking just a single civ tank unit being attacked by a civ calvary unit, that is a much more even battle than the US vs. Iraq. I see that as a risky situation for the tank. With civ numbers they should win twice as often as they lose. That sounds about right. It is hardly a slam-dunk situation like the Gulf War.

So you think that a 19th century cavalry vs modern armor is a MORE EVEN BATTLE than Iraq army (with tanks and missiles) vs allied forces army in 1990 ?
Don't know if you're kidding or just out of your mind.

And that is for attacking a tank on grassland - as vunerable as a unit can get. Fortify the tank or put it in a forest and it wins 4 times as often as loses. Put it on a hill it wins 5 times as often as it loses. In a city, 6 times as often. And all this for a regular tank - if you go up to veteren or elite and the advantage gets even greater.

If modern units just rolled over lower tech units with only miniscule losses, the game would lose much of its appeal. It would be a big race to see who could get tanks first. As I move up the difficulty scale, the AI sometimes beats me there. It would really suck if they were nearly invincible.

Again the same worn petty stupid argument "if you want tanks to be invincible blablablabla". Ever heard of "moderation" ? Aware that there is a difference between "make the tanks able to crush the medieval units" and "make the tanks able to crush all of the other units in the game" ?
Time to learn that altering something toward one end does not mean doing it caricaturally.

Originally posted by Akka: I think I'm still able to know what was my point. My point was :
1) Technology is of the highest importance and it DOES matter.
2) Any unit that is fighting another unit with a big tech gap should win with at most one or two hit points lost.
So tanks can be damaged but never lost? Accidents, friendly fire, catastrophic mechanical failure, weather etc. are myths and units are never lost to these kinds of things in the real world? Again, combat does not take place by having two units meet and having someone say, "Go.". Combat is a dangerous place regardless of how much someone outclasses their opponent. Heck, tanks are sometimes lost/disabled in TRAINING exercises!
Originally posted by Akka: If you think that the Allied forces in Iraq did not outclassed technologically their opponent,
????

I mentioned that the Allied forces outclassed their opponent BOTH technologically and in terms of overall resources. I just pointed out that the tech edge was not nearly as overwhelming as the resource edge. That is hardly saying they didn't outclass them at all. Read again, this time for comprehension.
Originally posted by Akka: perhaps that you should stop playing Civ where there is only tanks and modern armor. There is a lot more technology involved than just the two-three different stages that show in Civ3.
And "having some very light casualty against an opponent that is 20 years behind in tech" is in no way comparable to "losing some divisions against an opponent who use stone age units against high-tech ones".
First of all, it is really a stretch to call early tanks "high-tech" (not much more high tech than a model T - some, but not much). May I recommend Tank Warfare: The Illustrated History from 1914 to the Present Day. Early tanks were notoriously unreliable and sometimes were taken out of the battle by things as simple as too much mud.

Secondly, we were talking about calvary vs. tanks. Calvary (as represented in Civ) are hardly "stone age units".

Thirdly, where in the world did you get the idea that a Civ tank represents a division? It represents as many tanks as it takes to get an attack value of 16 and a defense value of 8 relative to a group of calvary representing an attack value of 6 and defensive value of 3. That could be 3 tanks, 5 tanks, etc. but certainly does not sound like a division.
Originally posted by Akka
Not enough to justify the lose of a single unit. Just perhaps one or two hit points lost.[/B]
If you think that higher-tech units should only be allowed to be damaged and never lost against lower tech units, it sounds like Civ is not for you. You would probably be happier playing Rock, Paper (Rock, Paper, Scissors without the scissors - high tech beats low tech, no questions asked).
Originally posted by Akka: :Not enough to justify the lose of a single unit. Just perhaps one or two hit points lost.]
Sounds more and more like you would be happier playing Rock, Paper than Civilization.
Originally posted by Akka: So you think that a 19th century cavalry vs modern armor is a MORE EVEN BATTLE than Iraq army (with tanks and missiles) vs allied forces army in 1990 ? Don't know if you're kidding or just out of your mind.
The entire might of the US plus allies vs. a single second-rate oil country compared to oh let's say, 25 individual calvary vs. 5 individual tanks. Yep. Sounds lopsided but not nearly as much as the first example. It is apples and oranges but still.
Originally posted by Akka:
Again the same worn petty stupid argument "if you want tanks to be invincible blablablabla". Ever heard of "moderation" ?
First of all, there is moderation. In civ, the best a calvary unit vs. a tank can get is a 33% chance of winning and that is only if they catch a tank at its most vunerable (unfortified on grassland). In most situations, they calvary has dramatically less chance of winning. And that's if the calvary is attacking. If the tank is attacking, the odds of the tank winning are generall 90+%. Heck, even in the best situation (calvary fortified in a metropolis built on a hill with the tanks attacking across a river) the best a calvary can hope for is roughly an 18% chance of winning (or, put another way, 6 times a likely to lose than they are to win).

And secondly, you are not asking for moderation but elimination of the calvary having any chance of winning whatsoever: "Any unit that is fighting another unit with a big tech gap should win with at most one or two hit points lost. " That is moderation? Hardly.
Originally posted by Akka: Time to learn that altering something toward one end does not mean doing it caricaturally.
That's just what I was going to say! Tanks beat lower tech units and can only be damaged but never lost sounds more like a "caricatur[e]" of the real world than anything I said.

Despite the ridiculous sounding nature of it, I would have to agree with EvanCiv that '25 individual calvary vs. 5 individual tanks' doesn't sound all that lopsided. I don't remember exactly the who/what/where of it, but I remember watching a documentary a few years back about a series of wargames/training that the Army and the Marines do each year. It basically involves sending an Army tank group out to the desert to play with a Marines light armored/mech inf. group.

The Army guys get your standard M1A1's and the Marines are a mix of infantry, M2's and light vehicles. Now, mind you that the Marine group is usually the more experienced group. If I recall the show correctly, the Marine group, despite the fact that none of their vehicles could surivive a hit from an M1 (and therefore any 'hit' is considered a kill) and none of their weapons can pierce an M1's frontal hull, usually kick the crap out of the tankers. They do it by being fast and outmaneuvering the tanks and generally using the tactics of dividing the platoon up and confusing them. Now, it is a little lopsided in that they DO count a Dragon 'hit' to the rear of an M1 as a kill, but since that will usually be the case, that's not too far off.

In my own personal opinion, if you have tanks and the enemy has cavalry and other archaic units and no experience with tanks, your tanks and other modern units should roll over the units not technologically equipped to deal with the armored beasts for the first couple of engagements. After all, their soldiers should be shocked and frightened by these impressive or scary new weapons and the tactics were more likely designed to fight similarly-equipped weapons. After a few turns, though, the advantage of your tanks should erode a bit. Even though they still only have their guns and perhaps early grenades (the problem is, people see cavalry as 18th-19th century cavalry and forget that cavalry was still being used in the 20th century...trenches and rapid-fire gun emplacements made them less viable as time went on), the tacticians behind the cavalry units have most likely developed strategies to counteract a part of the technological disadvantage they have.

Since it would be difficult for the game to keep track of how much experience each country has with its technology, the current method of giving old units a decent chance of taking out new units does work for me. Personally, I rarely lose units that are more than one technological step ahead of their adversary, except when attacked three times or more in a turn (and while its annoying that the computer keeps sixty+ old units around to bum rush invaders, I can easily see three units of cavalry taking out a tank...even if we just follow the numbers above, that's seventy-five guys on horseback surrounding five tanks...unless the cavalry just blindly charges the tanks, I can see the tanks losing in a pitched battle).

JFC!!!!

I get so tired of seeing people harp and harp and harp and H-A-R-P about how technology should mean insta-uber-win in combat.

Get a life, calm down, smoke something, watch a film. Geez.

The combat is balanced. That you will *O-C-C-A-S-I-O-N-A-L-L-Y* lose on some odd rolls a tank to muskets, modern armor to pikes, man if thats enough to make you froth at the mouth and scream about patches I'd say you should go back to RTT games, civ isn't your bag baby.

Originally posted by Galen Dietenger
Heres a few things to consider

As for cavalry being able to actually harm tanks in any realistic meaningof the word, its hard to see how this could happen as well. Rifles and other hand weapons vs massed armor and there support units, would = 95+% of certain death. (see Polish cavalry vs Panzer 1+2's 1939)

Actually I was just reading *WWII - A Complete History* by Some Brit, and I discovered that the Finns actually invented the Moltova (sp) cocktail to repeal the Soviet invasion of Finland in '39; their 9 divisions went against the 21 divisions of the Red Army and actually managed to defeat them for a time, dispite no tanks, no modern artillary, no airforce...mostly the winter and terrain helped them, and alot of inginuity and sheer guts. Anyone who could mount an attack in -40 celcius weather has a larger set than I have. :)

Germany's special unit being the exception - look at the graphic they used. Round turrets are charactistic of WWI era tanks. Only Japan used round turrets in WWII (with a couple of minor exceptions).

This is wrong on a couple of fronts.

1) Only Japan used round turrets in WWII.
The main tank for the US in WWII had a round(ed) turret. Not quite as round as the tank unit graphic in the game, but it clearly is an M-4 Sherman.

2a) Round turrets are charactistic of WWI era tanks.
Lots of tanks outside of the WWI era have had rounded tanks. For example, the M-60 and T-62
both have rounded turrets and both were produced in the early 60's.

2b) Round turrets are charactistic of WWI era tanks.
The main characteristics of the tanks from WWII on is that there is only one primary cannon located in the turret, like the tank in the icon. WWI era are characterized by having several different size and style of cannon. Often the turret mounted a smaller version with the largest gun mounted in the hull in a forward firing position. The truly odd had guns on the side in sponson turrets; really going for that land battleship look. Think of the tanks from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Here is a latter example of that WWI style: M-3. The fact that this tank was in production in the beginning of the war (sold to the Brits as part of lend/lease) speaks more to the US tank program being way behind the times then anything else. It was obsolete when the war started and was simply a stopgap until the Sherman could be produced.

People seem to have an unrealistic view of these WWI era tanks. They were notoriously unreliable and a good size percentage were always lost to accidents and breakdowns.

For some reason, people don't have a problem with say, an archer having almost 30% chance of killing calvary (reg. archer att. reg. calvary on grass = 28%) but if once a unit is using gunpowder and/or tanks, even units just one tech level below shouldn't stand much of a chance against. In my opinion, they have a vastly inflated view of the efficacy of some early modern units.

While Repoman covered the fact that tanks in Civ3 are not WWI era I wanted to bring up a point that's been bothering me a bit in this discussion. As I said early on the stats don't bother me so much because I realize they are mostly what they are for playability reasons. One of the most annoying aspects of SMAC IMHO was how often I saw my elite units get wiped away by green enemy units who happenned to be one technology level ahead of me. The technologies didn't seem that far apart but obviously they were to warrant the results I saw.

However, just because Civ3 gives some interesting probabilities between units of vastly different technological capability doesn't mean ppl should read into the results that Civ3 spits out and think there's some historical correlation! It just isn't true. The above example is ludicrous to think those odds existed if they were done in RL, but those odds make Civ3 playable.

--------

well actually modern day tanks are the cav .... just upgraded .... for example the australian 10th light horse is still in existance today but they dont use horses anymore they use tanks ... and are still called 10th light horse .... for historical reasons i guess .... and im sure the yanks have "cav" units also

Yep, they still do.

--------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Akka: So you think that a 19th century cavalry vs modern armor is a MORE EVEN BATTLE than Iraq army (with tanks and missiles) vs allied forces army in 1990 ? Don't know if you're kidding or just out of your mind.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The entire might of the US plus allies vs. a single second-rate oil country compared to oh let's say, 25 individual calvary vs. 5 individual tanks. Yep. Sounds lopsided but not nearly as much as the first example. It is apples and oranges but still.

Before the Gulf War started the Iraqui military was one of the 5 largest in the world (I think 3rd to be exact, but don't quote me). While America was far more powerful they were only able to deploy a portion of their forces while the Iraquis had their entire military in the region. Yes it was still lopsided in favor of the Allies but by no means as lopsided as any confrontation between armor and the best cavalry ever fielded in history.

--------

In my own personal opinion, if you have tanks and the enemy has cavalry and other archaic units and no experience with tanks, your tanks and other modern units should roll over the units not technologically equipped to deal with the armored beasts for the first couple of engagements. After all, their soldiers should be shocked and frightened by these impressive or scary new weapons and the tactics were more likely designed to fight similarly-equipped weapons. After a few turns, though, the advantage of your tanks should erode a bit. Even though they still only have their guns and perhaps early grenades (the problem is, people see cavalry as 18th-19th century cavalry and forget that cavalry was still being used in the 20th century...trenches and rapid-fire gun emplacements made them less viable as time went on), the tacticians behind the cavalry units have most likely developed strategies to counteract a part of the technological disadvantage they have.

This simply didn't happen. They were never able to counteract. Cavalry forces at the start of WWII knew about tanks and armored cars and what have you and even with time to prepare and even after the first battles of the war they were never able to overcome the advantage that mechanized forces and even just infantry forces possessed over them. This is why they dissappeared off the face of the military scene in WWII and if Civ3 were trying to accurately represent warfare this is what would happen as well. However, Civ3 isn't trying to do this so we shouldn't read into the results more than is really there.

--------

While all of this talk about relative strenghts of units and how they interact is nice I've seen very little pertaining to my original question: why are tanks slower than some horse units? If there is some historical precedent for this I'd love to hear it or if the reason is playability I'd love to hear that as well and the reasonings behind it. As of now, I really can't figure out why this is (and on the same subject, why Mechanized Infantry only have a movement of 2 as well).

Originally posted by Skywalkre
While all of this talk about relative strenghts of units and how they interact is nice I've seen very little pertaining to my original question: why are tanks slower than some horse units? If there is some historical precedent for this I'd love to hear it or if the reason is playability I'd love to hear that as well and the reasonings behind it. As of now, I really can't figure out why this is (and on the same subject, why Mechanized Infantry only have a movement of 2 as well).

Call it logistical problems. The tanks and Mech Inf don't have a year's worth of gas in their tanks :)

I believe there are historical accounts of German panzer units defeated only because they ran out of gas. Also, during the breakout from the Normandy hedgerows, US tanks would run out of gas. The front was moving faster than the support system could keep up.

As regards tank speed:

Entering WWII, Italy was using the M-13/40 which was only capable of 7 miles an hour offroad. It can be pointed out, of course, that Italy did not exactly do all that well in WWII.

Originally posted by Repoman

This is wrong on a couple of fronts.

You are right. Actually, as I was driving in my car after I posted this, I was thinking about this and realized I should have said 'cylindrical' since pretty much all tank turrets are round to some degree. I forgot about it and never changed it though.

Originally posted by Repoman

Call it logistical problems. The tanks and Mech Inf don't have a year's worth of gas in their tanks :)

I believe there are historical accounts of German panzer units defeated only because they ran out of gas. Also, during the breakout from the Normandy hedgerows, US tanks would run out of gas. The front was moving faster than the support system could keep up.

Yep. The Ardennes offensive is a famous example. The lack of oil in the end of the war was a crippling trouble for Germany.

For the realism :
I suppose that's because tanks need support (replaceable parts, oil, maintenance) while horse has just to eat grass and drink water. I suppose too that cavalry is more able to go through difficult ground than tanks. But well all in all I think that tanks should get 3 in movement, but spent more movement points on non-flat terrain.

For the playability :
Tanks has the "blitz" capacity, which means they can attack for each movement point they have. Cavalry can attack only once, while tanks can attack twice (only once if they attack staked units though). It's probably to not make them too powerful that they put them to 2 movements.

So tanks can be damaged but never lost? Accidents, friendly fire, catastrophic mechanical failure, weather etc. are myths and units are never lost to these kinds of things in the real world? Again, combat does not take place by having two units meet and having someone say, "Go.". Combat is a dangerous place regardless of how much someone outclasses their opponent. Heck, tanks are sometimes lost/disabled in TRAINING exercises!

Losing tanks in friendly fire, bad luck in fight and mechanical failures would be represented by the damage the unit takes.

Thirdly, where in the world did you get the idea that a Civ tank represents a division? It represents as many tanks as it takes to get an attack value of 16 and a defense value of 8 relative to a group of calvary representing an attack value of 6 and defensive value of 3. That could be 3 tanks, 5 tanks, etc. but certainly does not sound like a division.

Well, here is the central difference. I consider that a unit represent a bunch of people : some hundreds in early ages, some thounsands in modern ages. A modern armor unit is for me something between a regiment and a division. I base this opinion on the fact that :
1) drafting remove one population point (and I think that every ground unit should require one population point to be built).
2) one unit can conquer a whole city (I hardly imagine that 5 tanks are able to subdue a 200 000 inhabitant town).
3) A whole civilization use often about 100-200 units, which is about the same than the number of divisions that the nations had at the start of the WW1.

Considering that, loosing a modern armor unit is like losing several dozens of tanks. Hence the idea of only loosing one or two hit point max.

If you think that higher-tech units should only be allowed to be damaged and never lost against lower tech units, it sounds like Civ is not for you. You would probably be happier playing Rock, Paper (Rock, Paper, Scissors without the scissors - high tech beats low tech, no questions asked).
Sounds more and more like you would be happier playing Rock, Paper than Civilization.

I could make idiotic comments like "then if you think that a longbowman can take out a tank, you would probably be happier to let all the fights be resolved with a 4+ on a dice regardless of the unit", but it would show the same caricatural way than your statement. I'd rather talk again about the "moderation" word I used. There is TOO MUCH randomness in fight. I don't ask for REMOVING the randomness, I ask to REDUCE it.

USA did not send more than 50/100 thousands men. They have more than five millions in their army. France sent a division (14 000 men) while it has about 700 000 soldiers. UK sent even less men. You call that the "entire might of the US plus allies" ? And the Iraq was supposed to have the 5th world army by the time (ok it was a big exaggeration, but still it was probably in the first 10/15 in the world).
And I was actually using this example to say that Iraq had modern armor, infantry and cruise missile. The allied had armor even more modern, infantry even more modern and cruise missile even more modern. The tech gap is wider between cavalry and WW2 tank than between two kind of modern armor.

First of all, there is moderation. In civ, the best a calvary unit vs. a tank can get is a 33% chance of winning and that is only if they catch a tank at its most vunerable (unfortified on grassland). In most situations, they calvary has dramatically less chance of winning. And that's if the calvary is attacking. If the tank is attacking, the odds of the tank winning are generall 90+%. Heck, even in the best situation (calvary fortified in a metropolis built on a hill with the tanks attacking across a river) the best a calvary can hope for is roughly an 18% chance of winning (or, put another way, 6 times a likely to lose than they are to win).

First, cavalry has not 33 % chances hitting a tank. It's 43 % (6vs8). It's far too much. I would say 25 % would be a good thing.
Second, LONGBOWMEN has 33 % chances of hitting a tank. If THAT is not wild and ask for some tweaking...
The longbowmen were, infinitely more than cavalry, the reason I asked for stronger modern units over ancient ones.

First of all, it is really a stretch to call early tanks "high-tech" (not much more high tech than a model T - some, but not much). May I recommend Tank Warfare: The Illustrated History from 1914 to the Present Day. Early tanks were notoriously unreliable and sometimes were taken out of the battle by things as simple as too much mud.

Compared to longbowmen, tanks are high-tech. In one hundred years, our actual high-tech tanks will be considered as toys. "high-tech" is relative.
Second, there is no WW1 tanks in Civ, and WW2 ones where quite reliable.

Secondly, we were talking about calvary vs. tanks. Calvary (as represented in Civ) are hardly "stone age units".

I exagerrated, but you can loose tanks against longbowmen not rarely. Longbow are not "stone age" unit, but they are six centuries late toward tanks.

And secondly, you are not asking for moderation but elimination of the calvary having any chance of winning whatsoever: "Any unit that is fighting another unit with a big tech gap should win with at most one or two hit points lost. " That is moderation? Hardly.

Eliminating any chances of winning against tank for non-gunpowder units are not excessive in my mind.
Reducing the chances of cavalry dealing one damage point from 43 % to 30 % or even 25 % is not that much a scandal too.

That's just what I was going to say! Tanks beat lower tech units and can only be damaged but never lost sounds more like a "caricatur[e]" of the real world than anything I said.

When the "lower tech units" are longbowmen and pikemen, the caricature is allowing them to destroy tanks brigades.

Originally posted by Akka

USA did not send more than 50/100 thousands men. They have more than five millions in their army. France sent a division (14 000 men) while it has about 700 000 soldiers. UK sent even less men. You call that the "entire might of the US plus allies" ? And the Iraq was supposed to have the 5th world army by the time (ok it was a big exaggeration, but still it was probably in the first 10/15 in the world).
And I was actually using this example to say that Iraq had modern armor, infantry and cruise missile. The allied had armor even more modern, infantry even more modern and cruise missile even more modern. The tech gap is wider between cavalry and WW2 tank than between two kind of modern armor.

I am not really familiar with the current US OOB, but I think our actual *active* army is somewhat close to 200k, not 5million. I assume you are talking about the persian gulf war. Our reserves and draftees is of course much higher. Iraq, according to General Fred Franks in his novel *Into the Storm* had a pretty good army, something like 10+ divisions, against the US 3-4 divisions. Franks commanded one of the divisions; anyway the book is a very interesting read about the war, from what I recall his one division took out a very large majority of the Iraqi army, with, as you recall, exceedingly low losses. The armor tech was better, granted, but not that much better. How did we do so well? Arty support, air support, and a hell of alot better training and moral.

Anyway back to Civ.

First, cavalry has not 33 % chances hitting a tank. It's 43 % (6vs8). It's far too much. I would say 25 % would be a good thing.
Second, LONGBOWMEN has 33 % chances of hitting a tank. If THAT is not wild and ask for some tweaking...
The longbowmen were, infinitely more than cavalry, the reason I asked for stronger modern units over ancient ones.

Yeah, well, nothing is perfect is it? Especially in this game. I have stated it's not really good w/ modern warfare simulation. Last night, I lost many a tank to, usually, longbowmen. And they even took out my cruise missiles. Which, by the way, can only move one space in the enemy ZOC? Right! I think that needs serious tweaking. But anyway. If it weren't for these issues, then the non-armor opponent would have little chance at all. As it is, I haven't gotten a game where the enemy matched my tech in the modern age. I need to try a higher difficulty level.

As for the play inbalances, either modify the units, or pretend the older units now have anti-tank weapons :) Even so, armor is still very unbalancing; only armor or bombers can really go against it with any luck. I guess that's the way it is though.

Originally posted by Akka: The main tank for the US in WWII had a round(ed) turret. Not quite as round as the tank unit graphic in the game, but it clearly is an M-4 Sherman.
I looked at the turret and thought it was a Renault. But in looking at it more closely, it looks more like a Renault turret on a Sherman body.

Originally posted by Akka: Losing tanks in friendly fire, bad luck in fight and mechanical failures would be represented by the damage the unit takes.
But why not lost completel? Damage but not to the point of loss? What if the tank is already damaged?
Originally posted by Akka: Well, here is the central difference. I consider that a unit represent a bunch of people : some hundreds in early ages, some thounsands in modern ages. A modern armor unit is for me something between a regiment and a division. I base this opinion on the fact that :
1) drafting remove one population point (and I think that every ground unit should require one population point to be built).
2) one unit can conquer a whole city (I hardly imagine that 5 tanks are able to subdue a 200 000 inhabitant town).
3) A whole civilization use often about 100-200 units, which is about the same than the number of divisions that the nations had at the start of the WW1.

Considering that, loosing a modern armor unit is like losing several dozens of tanks. Hence the idea of only loosing one or two hit point max.
Well, this is also one of the things that make it a game. I think they purposely don't ever mention a specific (or even general) number of individuals each units represent - whatever they named would be to few to be realistic in some situations and too many to be realistic in others.

Suppose in modern times that, for whatever reason, any enemy city had no defenders left. Even if that city is 30+ (hundreds of thousands of people if not millions) a single military unit can take it over regardless of whether it is modern armor or a warrior. I don't think you can come to a conclusion about how many individuals a unit represents just because it can take over a large city.

Bottom line: there is no conclusive evidence in the game, in the documentation or official word from the developers - its all just a guess and/or opinion.

Same goes for how many people each population point represents and the fact that you lose one when drafting. You lose one regardless of the type of unit being drafted. This would, according to your point 1, seem to indicate that every drafted unit represents the same number of people.
Originally posted by Akka: I could make idiotic comments like "then if you think that a longbowman can take out a tank, you would probably be happier to let all the fights be resolved with a 4+ on a dice regardless of the unit", but it would show the same caricatural way than your statement.
Actually, I honestly don't understand what this means. Don't they kind of use "dice" (psuedo-random number) as it is?
Originally posted by Akka: I'd rather talk again about the "moderation" word I used. There is TOO MUCH randomness in fight. I don't ask for REMOVING the randomness, I ask to REDUCE it.
But entirely eliminating the chance of a loss of unit is NOT moderation - it is an extreme.
Originally posted by Akka: USA did not send more than 50/100 thousands men. They have more than five millions in their army. France sent a division (14 000 men) while it has about 700 000 soldiers. UK sent even less men. You call that the "entire might of the US plus allies" ? And the Iraq was supposed to have the 5th world army by the time (ok it was a big exaggeration, but still it was probably in the first 10/15 in the world).
Of course, "entire" is an exaggeration - there were still forces in the Pacific, etc. What I meant was more along the lines of 'entire might available and/or more than necessary'". The Navy and Air Force elements alone represented several times the firepower of the entire Iraqi military machine.

The point was that the Allies didn't outclass the Iraqis in tech advantage nearly so much as they did in resources they could bring to bear (again, only in comparison - Allies were a generation or three ahead in some weapon systems, but that didn't matter so much as the vastly superior firepower availble (for example, only 3% of ordinance dropped was "smart" bombs).
Originally posted by Akka: First, cavalry has not 33 % chances hitting a tank. It's 43 % (6vs8).
Right. But that is for hitting (winning a single round) - I never discussed individual rounds, only the overall chance of winning. For regular vs. regular, you have to win 3 out of 5 rounds. The chance of that happening (with the tank on grassland) is 32.7%. Same situation, but veteran vs. veteran = 30%, elite vs. elite = 27.9. And, of course, if the tank starts with more hit points than the calvary, it gets even less likely the calvary is going to win.
Originally posted by Akka: It's far too much. I would say 25 % would be a good thing.
For WINNING in a vet vs. vet battle on grassland, longbowmen have an 14.3% chance. You can't just look at individual rounds because numerical superiority is amplified when fighting multiple rounds.
Originally posted by Akka: Compared to longbowmen, tanks are high-tech. In one hundred years, our actual high-tech tanks will be considered as toys. "high-tech" is relative.
Eliminating any chances of winning against tank for non-gunpowder units are not excessive in my mind.
Reducing the chances of cavalry dealing one damage point from 43 % to 30 % or even 25 % is not that much a scandal too.
No, but it is a matter of opinion. Fortunatly, they allow users to customize so everybody should be able to get what they want.

I see this thread's lurching along just fine, kinda straying a bit(ok a lot). One of the primary problems in Civ3's 'combat engine that make qualitive discussions difficult, in essesence, its extremely simplistic and highly abstracted. Since no one know for certain what a 'unit' represents, ie does a Carrier =1 carrier, A carrier battle group?, a group of carriers?. Same for every other unit icon we have. This makes the discussions around said units just as absract(beyond things we can assert with some finality, ie ironclads should not be sinking N-subs, or Catapults should not not be inflicting 40% damage to Modern Armor, yaa I love that:mad: ). If the combat system\terain was subtle and sophistacted enough to convey various units strengths and weakness's AND if the ....Tech levels were more clearly defined and stratifed, we probably would not see quite as many 'rationalizations' from people over the odd combat results we all *know* to be an issue. Can horses defeat tanks, well that really depends on a great many things that civ3 simply cannot factor in. Could cavalry regiments\armies defeat tank units in set piece battles, the answer to that, no matter how many 'just so' scenario's some of you dream up, would be no.

No tanks are not invulnerable to other non-armor units, But the way civ3 presents it Tank vs(insert obsolete tank killer unit here) leaves much to be desired. Firaxiss has produced one of the best combat systems ive yet seen in TBS's, but not in Civ3. Its in SMAC.

To sumarise, Civ3 combat suffers from
-High Abstraction
-Overly simplified combat engine
-Units Scaleing and techincal specs far too vague-abstract IOW
-Units values a\d\m\ not well thought out in many cases-at least we can edit those to attempt to inroduce a measure of logic, but only to a limited degree.

Actually, I honestly don't understand what this means. Don't they kind of use "dice" (psuedo-random number) as it is?

The sentence was "let all the fights be resolved with a 4+ on a dice regardless of the unit", which means that if you get a 4+ (4, 5 or 6) on the dice you win the fight, "regardless of the unit". That was a sarcasm about extreme randomness.

But entirely eliminating the chance of a loss of unit is NOT moderation - it is an extreme.

It all depends on the units. Removing all chances for hoplites to destroy an armored division is far to be extreme. Removing the same chances for riflemen vs tanks IS an extreme. The thing is to find the good measure.

For WINNING in a vet vs. vet battle on grassland, longbowmen have an 14.3% chance. You can't just look at individual rounds because numerical superiority is amplified when fighting multiple rounds.

I think that 14,3 % chances of winning the fight for longbowmen against tanks is already AWFULLY TOO HIGH !
Heck that's more than 1 out of 8 battle !
This 14,3 % should be the chances that a longbowman has to deal one damage point in the entire fight !

[QUOTE
No, but it is a matter of opinion. Fortunatly, they allow users to customize so everybody should be able to get what they want.
[/QUOTE]

As long as there is not FP/HP, I would not be able to customize as I want to.

Originally posted by gibbie99

I am not really familiar with the current US OOB, but I think our actual *active* army is somewhat close to 200k, not 5million.

USA has a population of 270 millions people (perhaps even more). Do you really think that a country this size would have 200 000 soldiers ???
Heck ! France is 60 millions inhabitant and has more than 500 000 soldiers in the ground army alone !
Perhaps that USA has not 5 millions men in military, but in NO WAY less than one or two millions.

1) Hmm maybe to address that common Gulf War example.

It's true that the technology edge led to overwhelmingly lopsided casualties.

But remember that the tech edge was applied smartly. The US did not merely throw tank vs tank. If that had been the case I'm pretty sure that the many T-72 divisions would be able to put up a decent fight.

The tech edge was also used in intel (civ version, spies to find location of units, then smart use of strategy such as concentration of forces, flanking, taking key targets, etc), military doctrine such as combined arms organisation (civ version, using stacks of mech infantry to defend your tanks on grasslands to avoid losing to attack longbows/cav, using rader arty to pound enemy units to 1 bar), and especially air power (civ version, using bombers to bombard enemy units to one bar, weaken production base).

If you do have that tech edge, AND you are smart enough a civ player (or bother to take the trouble - I know I for one prefer to produce mostly modern armour and use production edge and numbers to win, rather than the more troublesome combined armes) to exploit it in every way, then the win percentages go up.

Eg. If you religiously use arty and air to bombard enemy units to one bar, I'm sure your theoretical winning percentages should match better with the Gulf War figures.

Remember the lack of causualties then were due in large part to preparatory bombardment. (Eg. Iraqi tankers were to scared to sleep in, or even near, their tanks because tanks attracted air strikes. Hence when US armour came rolling up, the Iraqi tanks were often unmanned)

2) To address cavalry vs WW2 tanks.

WW2 tanks were fairly vulnerable. In the WW2 war, troops fought them with some improvised weapons such as anti-tank grenades, molotov cocktails, and anti-aircraft guns. Attacking their treads were the tactic when you were outgunned, (To score "mobility kills") even infantry did this frequently.

Also, tanks were very poor in built up areas or bad terrain.

There is no reason why "modern" calvary (using rifles, not using lances) cannot use, say, anti-tank grenades to reasonable effect. Calvary was used quite extensively in WW2 at the same time as the WW2 tanks.

Also, as to the 2 movement vs 3 movement, tanks have some decided vulnerabilities. Weight (eg tanks CANNOT cross a river easily, how'd you like that reflected in civ? You must construct a road? Perhaps the 2 movement restriction reflects things like that) impedes movement. Mud / tank traps / ditches / snow all slow tanks down. It's reasonable that in a battle situation some of these are present frequently. Also, extreme conditions (eg. the cold in Russia during WW2) can affect tanks more than cavalry. The need for a supply train also hinder tanks more than infantry or calvary.

Tanks are very good at what they do (fighting in open terrain), but very poor at what they were not designed for (eg fighting within a city). Don't think of tanks rolling across the desert in the Guld War as your standard idea of tank warfare - fast, effective, invincible. They aren't always so.

Tanks can be beaten in combat even by simple things such as attacking them uphilll. (Very frequently tank main guns cannot depress enough to fire downwards at a steep angle) They are in no way invincible, ESPECIALLY without SUPPORT.

If you support them with other niceties of a modern army (mech inf, air, arty, intel) you should see little losses. If you're lazy, like me, and simply like to churn out armies of almost pure armour, then expect to see some losses. Pretty fair I'd say. By the time modern armour comes around, a few losses isn't usually crippling.

Hey guys.... Civ is a TBS game.... And in case you didn't know, the S stands for STRATEGY!!

If you say "My tanks get taken down by longbowmen too often", then think about how to STOP THAT HAPPENING!!!

Here are three easy solutions to get you started.

1. Protect your tanks with Infantry. Or armies of infantry if you can get them. It'll slow down your troops considerably, but those longbowmen won't even dent your infantry armies.

2. Build barracks. The extra hit point makes all the difference (it still improves your chances even if your enemies have the extra point too!!)

3. Now.... This is some heavy duty strategy here..... Attack them before they attack you!!! I've never seen a defending longbowmen defeat a tank.... I don't think I ever will. (And yes I know that's not always possible.... Often because the computer PROTECTS ITS UNITS!!)

Use units for their intended purposes, which for tanks is attacking!!! Don't rely on their defence, that's not what they were built to do!!

Just increase the hp for your unit and all of this probelm is solved.
Increase Vet unit to 5 and Elite to 7. This will increase your number of rolls and thus increase the chances of an Elite unit winning considerably.:cool:

I tend to disagree on the theory that horse can move more easily as I take it that the number of move in Civ represent distances covered and not speed. I would give Modern Armor and Mech Inf has a much higher movement point. You can drive a car 500 miles non-stop but you can't get a horse to run that distant non-stop.:D

Just my 0.02

Top Bottom