Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

A catapult has a bomard of 4. A fortified spear in a flatland town with walls or a city has a 10% bonus for flatland, 25% for fortification, and 50% for the walls/city bonus. So, the spear effectively has a defense of 2+.2+.5+1=3.7. Without walls it's 2.7, and the AIs might not have walls or a size 7 city in the ancient age. Compared with trebuchets vs. pikes you have a bombard of 6 vs. 3+.3+.75+1.5=5.55, or 4.05 which comes as less like than in the ancient age. So, trebuchets only have a .15 advantage over catapults if both cities have walls. With cannons vs. muskets we have 8 vs. 4+.4+1+2=7.4. Artillery vs. rifles 12 vs. 6+.6+1.5+3=11.5. Wait... the civilopedia says that walls provide a land bombardment defense of 8??? Did they make an error in the civliopedia? If not, do cities (i. e. locations size 7-12) still have that land bombardment bonus? Or does that defense bonus of 8 for walls not come in addition to the other defenses of the unit?

2 Questions

1. how do I put a screenshot into a thread
I upload mine to Imageshack, then just copy & paste the code it gives me. It's free and does not require registration.

2. how do I overcome HKEY registry access exception with CIVAssistII under Vista

Hope I get some answers
I don't know. Good luck with this one.

A catapult has a bomard of 4. A fortified spear in a flatland town with walls or a city has a 10% bonus for flatland, 25% for fortification, and 50% for the walls/city bonus. So, the spear effectively has a defense of 2+.2+.5+1=3.7. Without walls it's 2.7, and the AIs might not have walls or a size 7 city in the ancient age. Compared with trebuchets vs. pikes you have a bombard of 6 vs. 3+.3+.75+1.5=5.55, or 4.05 which comes as less like than in the ancient age. So, trebuchets only have a .15 advantage over catapults if both cities have walls. With cannons vs. muskets we have 8 vs. 4+.4+1+2=7.4. Artillery vs. rifles 12 vs. 6+.6+1.5+3=11.5. Wait... the civilopedia says that walls provide a land bombardment defense of 8??? Did they make an error in the civliopedia? If not, do cities (i. e. locations size 7-12) still have that land bombardment bonus? Or does that defense bonus of 8 for walls not come in addition to the other defenses of the unit?

Maybe it's a bombardment defense against destroying improvements or population. I wouldn't mind knowing what the mechanics are in this.

My experience suggests that a DoW via the sub bug does NOT provide any war happiness. Can someone confirm?

Hallo -
we are playing online with friends 2 vs 2 Civ3 PTW, but there is a problem!
Between the stops, one has to sleep, how to prevent the guy saving the game can not access all (!) data and sneak peak?
And people who retire can see the map also.

Between the stops, one has to sleep, how to prevent the guy saving the game can not access all (!) data and sneak peak?
You guys don't trust each other enough?

For the other, either the same or have everyone able to look at the map.

Check the MP forum, but I thought they fixed that in the last fix, maybe it was in Conquest.

I am new to Civ 3. I am playing the Americans. When I irrigate, the square does not increase food production. The successful irrigation is shown, but no increase. Can anyone tell me why?

The GOTM and HOF staff have a program that reads the number of times a save has been loaded, that would probably help. Basically though, it's almost all the honor system, and do you really want to play with cheats?

2 Questions
2. how do I overcome HKEY registry access exception with CIVAssistII under Vista

I erased my Vista meanwhile and reinstalled XP, but I remember I fixed it as follows:

Right-click on the CivAssist2 executable and select "Properties". Choose "Run as Administrator" (or similar, can't remember how it's called. You may need to be logged in as Administrator in order to be able to do this.) In addition I also chose the "XP compatibility mode", but I'm not sure, whether that is really needed. Can't hurt though...

Lanzelot

Thanks a lot to those quick answers from ChaosArbiter, vmxa (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=296512), Aabraxan and
TheOverseer714 for my last questions! But the given solutiuons were disappointing.

A.
I have but another multiplayer problem. What to do against having an embassy build in my town from my opponent? I do not let him in my territory, to be an unknown factor for him and he just builds an embassy and knows excatly where I am and how large my city is.

B.
This is even worse. Once the opponent discovered a terrain, whenever I build a city later there, he will see it!

We play Civ3 PTW 121.f.

B.
This is even worse. Once the opponent discovered a terrain, whenever I build a city later there, he will see it!

I never played multiplayer. However, the behaviour that you describe here is normal.

This is what is supposed to happen, even in a single player game. When you scout the landscape somewhat early in the game and an AI later comes to found a city there you can see that city without 'rescouting' the area. (The same does not hold true for terrain improvements.)

A.
I have but another multiplayer problem. What to do against having an embassy build in my town from my opponent? I do not let him in my territory, to be an unknown factor for him and he just builds an embassy and knows excatly where I am and how large my city is.

B.

We play Civ3 PTW 121.f.

I think, but never verified, that had you made an emabssy with him, he coudl not make one with you. In that case, be first Vs human players.

He does not know exactly where you are, unless he has seen all the land to your border. He will merely see a small colored dot for you in the dark. He has an idea of where you are, but you could be on an island for all he knows.

He will not know anything about the disposition of a given tile after that turn. IOW, if you mine or barricade or whatever, that will not be known to him. He will see a fog of sorts over those tiles, if would have seen them in the first place.

The only way you can see what is going on in a given tile, is for it to be within your "eye sight". Have you ever notice on a large map the roads are shown, but you are sure they have rails by now?

This is due to your "seeing" the land was the picture you see, until you get it in your vision again. I have passed by a tile that had a hut and 2000 years later, I still see the hut, as my knowledge has not been updated.

OOPS! Found this thread after I posted the following in a diff. thread:

Forgive me for simple and naive questions. I am not a frequent player!

Using default settings and starting the game with Conquest CD, I find it that when I lose only one city, I lose the game. Anyone knows why?

Also, does anyone know what is the advantage/disadvantage of using prince and princesses. I disabled them as I found them being killed and losing the game immaturely! :(

TIA

Welcome to CFC, LordofGalaxy.

I don't play with princes or princess, so I can't help you there.

As to the other, you've got "Elimination mode" on. I think that's used in some scenarios and (perhaps) can be enabled when you set up a new game. The next time you start a game, look down where the victory conditions are listed by check-boxes at game setup. If you see one for Elimination Mode, turn it off.

a quick modding question . ı recently succeed my first ever unit adding ( copy and paste Pediacon/Civpedia text files , copy art and unit folder ) got the ronin from the Sengoku scenario to one ı was playing with to learn the bells and whistles . A world map of 180 by 180 ı am planning to add as many units as possible now that ı have learned it somewhat . Anyway , found another unit and ain't ı so proud with my new ability

well well its time is comin.JPG

but then when ı try to check the Civpedia , ı get this

mistake of xwing.JPG

ı have it next to the ronin one in the same folder . Is the game looking for the files in another folder ? Say , do ı have add the pcx file the art folder of the conquests itself ?

Modding questions are better asked in the Creation and Customization section; the people there have much more experience.

I'll give it a shot, but I don't know everything. The game tells you it cannot find a file. It's looking in art\civilopedia\icons. It doesn't say whether it's looking in the general art folder or looking in an art folder in a scenario folder. If you started this game up as a scenario, the game will look first in the art folder of that scenario.

So first I would check in the art folder of the scenario you're playing; scenario name > art > civilopedia > icons. In there should be a file called X-Wing_Small.pcx. Maybe the file is there, but has a typo - a typing error is easy to make and is the most common error in these cases.
Also check X-Wing_Large.pcx, because these pedia-icons always come in two sizes, and the fact that the error message only mentioned X-Wing_Small doesn't mean the other one is okay; you could be repairing X-Wing_Small and then get another crash for X-Wing_Large.

If you can't repair it the game should still play normally, I think, exept cause a crash when you look for that specific unit in the civilopedia.

I am new to Civ 3. I am playing the Americans. When I irrigate, the square does not increase food production. The successful irrigation is shown, but no increase. Can anyone tell me why?

Most likely you are still in Despotism. There is a penalty in Despotism that reduces the output of a tile by one. (I forget the actual calculation involved.) What happens is you irrigate the tile, increasing the food production by one. Then the penalty kicks in, reducing the total amount by one. So you are right back to the starting point.

The best thing is to get out of Despotism as soon as practical.

(BTW, I moved your post from the CivRev forum. ;))

I'll give it a shot, but I don't know everything. The game tells you it cannot find a file. It's looking in art\civilopedia\icons. It doesn't say whether it's looking in the general art folder or looking in an art folder in a scenario folder. If you started this game up as a scenario, the game will look first in the art folder of that scenario.

So first I would check in the art folder of the scenario you're playing; scenario name > art > civilopedia > icons. In there should be a file called X-Wing_Small.pcx. Maybe the file is there, but has a typo - a typing error is easy to make and is the most common error in these cases.

the shot is accurate and it is my own foolishness . When copying the pediacon text file ı wrote this goes to pedia after ...X-Wing_Small.pcx and of course just had to copy everthing as is . So the Civpedia finds ...X-Wing_Small.pcx this goes to pedia line allright ...

now how can one manage to fail when copy and paste ? But mistakes teach better , hopefully .

Top Bottom