Quick Modding Questions Thread

Perhaps we will be very happy but this really has nothing to do with this thread. ;)

Yes, i agree, this is wrong place to post this, but maybe someone know were i can found useful information or know this for what i search :)

Every time i go to build my UU for my civ the game crashes any thoughts to why i just cant figure it out.

I presume it is a custom unit? Is the button for the unit exactly 64x64 if it isn't that'll cause a crash.

Also make sure that the definition of your button has no comma (as long as you do not refere to the Resource_Atlas as well). So, for example, the lion unit's button definition should either look like this (as it is in the original game files):
Code:
<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Lion.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/Unit_Resource_Atlas.dds,6,5</Button>
or like this:
Code:
<Button>Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Lion.dds</Button>
and never like this:
Code:
<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Lion.dds</Button>

A bit of a complicated case (maybe?).

I have noticed, that even as a Human Player, if I highlight a Leader, foreign advisor still shows what attitude I would have towards that leader (correct me if I'm wrong about this). That would imply that my attitude gets calculated, even though it obviously doesn't affect anything.

Can I make it so that my cities have +1 Unhappiness for each Leader I'm Furious with but not in war with? That might cause some funny situations even in full Human multiplayer.

After the map script does its thing somewhere the settlers and other units are placed. It seems that this is also changing the map. Does anyone know where this is done?

Do you mean additional bonus placement? After the selection of the starting plots, some mapscripts will do another pass to add bonuses around your future capital city location.

I've read about it and tried to find it now but all I could find was in a "PerfectWorld2f.py" file a "def boostCityPlotValue" function.

Yes and no. We have coastal and ocean terrain features which are being placed near starting plots only and we have a lake terrain for fresh water lakes which is being reset to coastal for small lakes near the starting plots.

Thanks, I'll have a look at the boostCityPlotValue function.

Is it possible to edit mountains to yield +2 hammers? I couldn't get it to work. I'm guessing it has something to do with the impassible status?

Is it possible to edit city ruins to yield +1 culture? I successfully edited them to provide a defense bonus to units inside them.

Thank you for any replies.

There are some modcomps out there that make 'passable/workable mountains' go search for those in the modcomp section.

culture is a commerce not a yield, so tiles cannot produce it. (With out a mod)

The super forts mod is one that makes improvements spread culture a bit like cities. (there are a couple others too, I don't think there are any that make commerces into tile yields.)

What file controls a civ's starting units?
I checked civinfos and other logical places and whenever I start a new game I always get an extra unit.
I set the era to modern in the techs, and in addition to the free units I get due to the civinfos XML (settler and Colonial Levy) I get a Mech Infantry. I removed Mech Infantry from the game, and instead the game gives me a unit of Marines.

Thanks in advance.

The HandicapInfo and EraInfos files also provide for additional units.

I'm not sure if this maybe deserves its own thread, so I'll just put this here.

I am currently working on a global Cold War scenario, and using the 40 Civs mod for it.

I am confused and/or angry. Somehow the game is always stuck whenever I try loading the scenario or one of the two backup saves I have for it, but loading the WBQuicksave file works fine. The difference between my three up to date files and the quicksave one is that in the former I already have set landmarks all around the world to specify where which city is supposed to be placed. When I open the file with NotePad I get a clue as to what the problem might be: It seems that the file somehow got cut off at the very end. The last few lines are:

Code:
BeginSign
    plotX=30
    plotY=54
    playerType=-1

after a page of paragraphs like

Code:
BeginSign
    plotX=32
    plotY=51
    playerType=-1
    caption=Boston
EndSign

, and most of the landmarks I put are nowhere to be found in the file, in fact the only cities I can find are most of Canada and America. The fact that the file got cut off at exactly that point, not even completing the entry for the current sign and ending right before the caption for it should be, makes me believe that the problem might be due to me entering signs that aren't just plain letters. That would explain why it ends right around where Québec ought to be, and indeed I can't find any other captions that have accented letters. If that is the case and most of my work regarding city locations is lost, I would be extremely agitated. I sat there for hours, scrolling through Google Maps, making sure every location where one would found a city in normal gameplay would have an appropriate name, I even set a landmark for every last one tile island or arctic outpost, and now my entire progress on this scenario might be lost. :(

So yeah, is it possible that using anything but plain letters and numbers in landmarks leads to the Worldbuilder save becoming messed up and unreadable for the game?

I uploaded the two relevant saves in case anyone wants to take a look at them.

I'm afraid that you wrote a question and its answer. Unfortunately, you are right: signs only accept ASCII characters or captions like TXT_KEY_SIGN_TRAFALGAR (210 years ago...). I've noticed that even commas are not accepted.

I'm sorry that you had to learn it the hard way. :sad:

Spoiler :
:scan: In your quicksave file you have
Code:
BeginPlot
	x=95,y=32
	BonusType=BONUS_SHEEP
	TerrainType=TERRAIN_OCEAN
	PlotType=3
EndPlot

I know, I noticed the sheep yesterday, and removed them, though of course that work is now for naught. :( Blergh, back to Google Maps, and hope I won't forget to spell all city names with just plain Roman letters this time.

You could add the names as TXT_KEYs if you want. Make a copy of one of the files in Assets\XML\Text and edit it to tell the city names you want it to tell. Encode the file in CodePage1252 (aka windows 1252) or use html escapes. It would make the scenario a two file distribution rather than one, but it would solve the problem.

This works because Text is the only place where all files are read automatically, regardless of their names. All other xml files have hardcoded names, which mean adding new files requires modding the DLL.

Actually the landmarks were only a temporary measure that would have been removed after actually placing the cities themselves. I just wanted to get a preview on which cities go where so I could properly decide which civ should get what and which countries to represent.

Top Bottom