Quick Questions and Answers

What happens when multiple Civs complete the Patronage social policy?
Is the penalty commutative? Does it affect civs that also completed that social policy?

Thanks!

heyo, quick question here. I havent played civ5 for 4-5 months now and I started a game, found iron, made a new city next to it and so I had 2 iron. I created 2 legions (or something that needs iron) and then even when the production was finished it showed me 0 available, 2 used. That didnt change so I didnt have iron. Is that a bug or a patch change or it was from release and I dont remember it?
I mean this is weird to end ur resources.

ps. After 200 turns I got the 2 irons back as available but the same happened with coal and aluminium. (I had to create a city in the middle of nowhere only to create a factory in my production city :S)

If you used your two iron to build legions, well it is gone until you delete the unit (or it is killed). It is pretty stupid as if you used the iron to build something I don't know how you get it back when that thing has been used.

try and ally a city state that has iron or trade with the AI.

Thanks for the extremely fast reply :D

So if u have a resource u can only use it on ONE building or unit but if u trade with CS or AI u use it only when u produce something? or same? (cuz then if u have a deal for iron and this deal finishes, will u lose the building?)

Was that the same when civ came out? because it seems sooo weird to me. And also I think it's a bit stupido xD. I mean isnt it more realistic to have e.g. an iron mine that produces 2 iron per turn and u can only produce so many units/buildings?

Buildings don't come into it. Just strategic resource using units (such as Legions). The iron you get from an AI or CS doesn't function any differently; it's simply a matter of having more of it. This has been the same since the game came out.

What happens when multiple Civs complete the Patronage social policy?
Is the penalty commutative? Does it affect civs that also completed that social policy?

Thanks!

I don't know the answer but add me to the list of people looking for that answer... Good question.

Was that the same when civ came out? because it seems sooo weird to me. And also I think it's a bit stupido xD. I mean isnt it more realistic to have e.g. an iron mine that produces 2 iron per turn and u can only produce so many units/buildings?

Yes it was the same when the game came out. I think it's one of the better changes in Civ 5 as I never liked the idea that "one of each resource" was enough for everything. Now strategic resources actually have much more diplomatic importance, especially, I find, when coal comes and you want to build a lot of factories... Anyway, I don't think of it as "well I have 1 iron to supply one guy in an iron suit who is going to give me his iron back when he dies". I think of it more as "well I have a unit of iron which is enough to supply one army of iron-geared soldiers".

8. For some reason my game crashes when I try to raze any city I previously conquered. This happens in both DX9 and DX11 mode, no matter which city I am trying to raze.

I need to raze some cities as I conquered/settled them too close together so the citizens can't work enough farms/plantations to keep the food produce up, without working tiles in other nearby cities, which in turn makes 'those' cities have trouble keeping the food produce high enough.

The Q&A sticky has grown so big it intimidates me, so I'll try this. I'm new to Civ5; just started playing yesterday. Two questions have come up:

1. Is there a way to skip the intro movie and intro dialogue when the game is loading? It's choppy and annoying on my system. The options controls don't seem to do the trick.

2. If I'm building a unit or building in a city and want to hurry (purchase) it, what do I do exactly? I tried several times to click Purchase, but it doesn't seem to work even when I have plenty of gold.

@p55carroll- no need to worry about seeing if the question has already been asked in this thread; just feel free to ask whatever you want. :) I've merged your thread.

Question 1- yes, there is a way, but I can't remember off the top of my head what it is. It's been asked a few times, so a forum search should pretty quickly come up with an answer.

Question 2- once you've clicked 'purchase', you need to click on the item you want to buy from the list. You can't 'rush' production, as such, like you could with Universal Suffrage in Civ4 (i.e. pay to hurry the remainder of production); you have to pay the full price regardless of how many hammers you've sunk into it.

8. For some reason my game crashes when I try to raze any city I previously conquered. This happens in both DX9 and DX11 mode, no matter which city I am trying to raze.

I need to raze some cities as I conquered/settled them too close together so the citizens can't work enough farms/plantations to keep the food produce up, without working tiles in other nearby cities, which in turn makes 'those' cities have trouble keeping the food produce high enough.

9. The Artillery problem still persists, however now the option to set-it-up-for-attack seems to have completley disappeared from it's menu.. against both cities and land units. Simply trying to move my Artillery over the land unit or city to "attack" that way results in a no-HP-loss for the enemy, but it still consumes my move.

Once again to my question:

How do I play a downloaded scenario?

I have enabled the scenario in Mod Browser:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198041411126/screenshot/578932219548992291?tab=all

And that I go to Single player (in Mods menu). That I have only Set up game and Load Game (no custom game unfortunately):
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198041411126/screenshot/578932219548995004/?tab=all

What do I have to do to play a scenario?

I seem to have the same problem and can't find an answer..

I have downloaded a bunch of mods which I can see in "MOD->Browse Mods", and they have the green tick meaning they are enabled.

Now according to what I have read should be able to find these scenarios from "MODS->Single PLayer-?Custom Game", right? Well there is just one scenario there and it is one of the paid for ones (conquest of the new world). I have no way of enabling these..

Normally with scenarios it works like this:
You go to single player, setup game and then select the map that goes with the scenario.
Now there should be a little button 'load scenario' under the map.
Like this (I've taken a different scenario):

Unfortunately for this 'World War II - updated'-scenario I can't find it.
It could be that you need to install it manually or something. Have a look at the corresponding topic (if there is one) in the Civ 5 - Scenarios subforum :)

Well somehow I did that. Try to reinstall the mod and remove cache.

It seems like the scenario isn't installed correctly.

When you choose your civ there's a little word 'edit'. Click on it and you can change your name (if I recall correctly :) )

Unfortunately, there isnt such an option in MP. But I found something in Steam->Settings->Friends. I'll see if this works.

I've got a few questions.

1.) Are there any mods or ways I can change the xml so that the AI doesn't get any bonuses beyond what a human player would get at prince difficulty?

2.) I made a scenario that has some natural wonders start within the cultural borders of some civs, when the AI is playing that civ the tile yield for the natural wonder is what its supposed to be, yet when I play that civ there is no tile yield for that natural wonder...is this just a bug or what?

3.) Is there anyway to slow down the passage of time? In the scenario I made I'm playing at marathon speed, starting in the year 1000 AD, yet by the time only 40 turns have gone by it's already the year 1600 AD.

Thanks in advance.

Academy vs using the GS for Discovery before 500 BC in conjunction with national college at the city?

Top Bottom