R.E.D. modpack

Hey Gedemon,

Cant wait to play the new RED modpack. Just had a suggestion... Have you ever thought about mixing skin-tones to reflect the diversity in modern era units (from Western nations)? For instance, American Infantry & Marines, etc., could potentially include some white, tan, and black units.

Just a suggestion!

dashwinner

Prince
quick question, i installed this from the steam mod section, but as soon as it's done downloading it disappears from my list of mods... any thoughts?

Socratatus

Emperor
Hey Gedemon,

Cant wait to play the new RED modpack. Just had a suggestion... Have you ever thought about mixing skin-tones to reflect the diversity in modern era units (from Western nations)? For instance, American Infantry & Marines, etc., could potentially include some white, tan, and black units.

Just a suggestion!

I agree! Although it might be a lot of work to do for the gains.

Sire Stroud

Chieftain
Hi, quick question (awesome mod btw). Is there a way to make the celts use English models (after the medieval age, where the celts just use generic models) such as the Cromwell, red coats ect..
Thanks,

Gedemon

Modder
Super Moderator
They already had :D

But it was "continental" artstyle, there was a set for Asia CS, one for Africa CS, etc...

Now the "continental" artstyle is still there, but the initialization process does a first pass to affect continental units to all CS (and civs), then a second pass to affect the specific units for each civs and CS.

Before there was only one pass in which CS were affected continental artstyles only and Civs were getting specific artstyles only.

TheLohoped

Known today as TLPD-AVW
Ah, I see now. Hope there will be more specific units for CS in the next versions. :) There are already some nice models like Danrell's Crusader pack for Valletta and Jerusalem.

BTW, Byzantines using spanish "continental" units look a little strange.

Gedemon

Modder
Super Moderator
Update is now also on Steam (it's more and more difficult to upload files there, lot's of time-out)

Socratatus

Emperor
Well it`s appreciated that we can download it off Civfanatics too, whether or not you realise it. So thankyou.

Socratatus

Emperor
I prefer using Steam, since I'm what most people call "programming illiterate"

But that`s the problem. No one ever learns and remains `chained` to it. The irony is, it isn`t hard and takes only minutes to learn how to install a Mod. I always find it weird when something doesn`t work for them and they compalin at Steam that a basic Mod doesn`t work when I have the Mod working fine no problem. I have Skyrim and it`s the same there. Some Modders get real tired of it because many players won`t even try to solve the most simple, basic problems, preferring to whine at Steam or the modder.

Seriously, Steam reliance is making people dumber, not smarter. They control you and others by making you less smart.

dashwinner

Prince
But that`s the problem. No one ever learns and remains `chained` to it. The irony is, it isn`t hard and takes only minutes to learn how to install a Mod. I always find it weird when something doesn`t work for them and they compalin at Steam that a basic Mod doesn`t work when I have the Mod working fine no problem. I have Skyrim and it`s the same there. Some Modders get real tired of it because many players won`t even try to solve the most simple, basic problems, preferring to whine at Steam or the modder.

Seriously, Steam reliance is making people dumber, not smarter. They control you and others by making you less smart.

you seem like a smarter, more knowledgeable person than me, so if you wouldn't mind enlightening me. I've tried both ways. Manually, saving the file into my MOD folder, launching the game, seeing it in the MOD browser, installing it, then watching it dissapear from the mod section completely. What am I doing wrong?

A.Aquila

Chieftain
Or Steam is a tool to get the mod out to more people. I wouldn't even be here if I didn't use the Steam method.

Gedemon

Modder
Super Moderator
you seem like a smarter, more knowledgeable person than me, so if you wouldn't mind enlightening me. I've tried both ways. Manually, saving the file into my MOD folder, launching the game, seeing it in the MOD browser, installing it, then watching it dissapear from the mod section completely. What am I doing wrong?
Try to delete your cache folder, see here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=440525

Or Steam is a tool to get the mod out to more people. I wouldn't even be here if I didn't use the Steam method.
Yes, when it works it's good, especially for the users. But it doesn't work well enough, and can cause maintenance trouble for the modders, see Whoward69's issues.

When you have in 2-3 mods, you can answer to comments in all 3 section to explain why Firaxis or Steam have managed to break this or that with a patch and the mod has nothing to do with the problem, but when you have hundreds...

And there are other issues, when this mod will reach a size of 100 MB (currently a bit less than 40 MB in v.23), I won't be able to upload it on steam anymore. My WWII mod is already at this limit, next time I add more content to it (units, civilizations, pictures,...) I'll have to host it here only.

Recently they also changed the text limit for descriptions without warning. Formatting and writting a good description is something that take some time, now there are some for my mods that are incomplete and will need to be rewritten.

I don't have the same view as Socratatus, if it was working correctly it would be perfect IMO, but in the end it's not a matter of opinion about Steam policy, if the tool is restrictive or is broken, then there is no point of using it.

And I feel it's now very close to the limitations I'm ready to accept to allow a larger audience to use my mods.

Gedemon

Modder
Super Moderator
also check in the mod folder that there is only one version installed.

Top Bottom