Racking up Steam achievements.

lindsay40k

Emperor
A load of them are tedious grindfests but sometimes you can learn a lot through constrained play. Let's throw around tips, observations and questions.

Me? I'm trying to get every difficulty done. Just cracked Emperor by going Duel Pangaea, Monty versus Pedro, 10CS, raging barbs. Lucked out conquering a neighbouring CS with GBR, made my way to Pedro making four allies and racking up full Honor without even building a monument, and found his lands overrun with barbs. Two veteran Archers, four Jaguar and a Spearman took Rio whilst a rearguard milked money from barbs to fund the army.

There was a big luck element, and I restarted until I got a Truffles hill to start on, but it went ok. Shrine really didn't seem worth it, as I had a forest start and even with God of War I couldn't get enough Faith for a GP before winning. Much better to get an extra Jaguar and farm Barbs, unless surrounded with resources that will generate culture.

I dunno if I can cheese it all the way up to Deity like this... but I'm gonna try it.

How to cheese Deity:

Pangaea, Duel, Attila, rush Batterin grams and Horse Archers. Have fun. Best way to cheese it. You can also pick a wimpy opponent who gets their UU late in the game. Such as Netherlands.

I just tried Immortal Bismarck vs William on Marathon. Absolute massacre. Got Spearman from a Ruin and ended up with six archers, four brutes and three spears. His tech advantages armed the barbs and the barb spawn rate gave me a massive recruitment advantage. And 10 CS meant loads of money to fund the army and more predictable encampment spots. Gonna try Deity in a bit :)

Careful, the step from Immortal to Deity is very big. I remember this myself when I first beat Immortal and went up to Deity. It was torture.

One way to win Diety is to ally yourself with several AIs against a single Ai.. bit boring but still fun to see yourself not get owned xD

I won't say it was a cakewalk, but my Immortal approach beat Deity as well. The barb infestation kept William from expanding beyond two cities. I captured his second city, got ground down to an armistice, recruited another barbarian army and had three GG's encircle Amsterdam. He'd got a third city near my capital, but it wasn't enough to keep me from Domination :D

Easyist way for winning at Deity achievement without loading a save file is to Play the Korean scenario as Korea.
Because of AI China's helping you in the score by also killing Japanese units, it's more difficult to lose than win as Korea (other than resign), but even if you "succeed" there's an achievement for that as well.

On Great Prophet: Other than re-rolling until you get a faith natural wonder, you need to build shrines to get one. And to enhance your religion in a reasonable timeframe you normally need at least one Temple.

Funny thing regarding Korea Scenario. I tried to purposefully lose as Korea, picked Deity, and won Deity AND still lost. Silly score system

Funny thing regarding Korea Scenario. I tried to purposefully lose as Korea, picked Deity, and won Deity AND still lost. Silly score system

So that's why there's an achievement for losing in that scenario.
Myself I won deity by using Portugal to get enough gold to win a diplomacy victory. (Small, standard settings) Almost lost because I got a declaration of war after I got both World Religion and World Ideology through the World Congress and lost my two biggest cities, but then I managed to sue peace with just a smaller one left and won before diplomats :D

Steam achievements in civilization accumulate when players play differently. I haven't tried to achieve the achievements, really, but I have achieved some before.

Top Bottom