Raging Barbarians

Raging Barbarians 0.1

It's been a long time so I am wondering about the compatibility of this mod. Unlike the pathetic AI players, barbs can rip apart cities. Okay, players can too occassionally, but they never capture capitals and you never see a large AI army moving about and doing things in the world. The battlefield in Civ 6 is Stale, unlike in Civ 5 where can you start with a large number of Civs and expect whole continents to unite under one empire. Things were so stale, they needed to artificially induce changes via loyalty.

Nowadays we have all these new game modes, and all they really do is make the game easier, but not for the lazy AI who wasn't given any strategic sense. Even City States just make the game easier. The AI mostly just saves their envoys until attacked, and won't understand the value of cheap faith walls from Valletta, coastal production from Auckland, or even the Apostlic control of Yerevan. I'm not even sure they make Proseletyzers when Suzerain of Yerevan, when they should be on the road to Religious Victory unless the player directly intervenes, but they do not compete for these city states, so it feels like cheating to even have them on the map. This competition is even more important with Owls of Minerva in the game.

Even many natural wonders only serve the player. The AI doesn't have the sense to make pilgrimage to Giants Causeway or Matterhorn for the combat bonus and movement over hills, or Lyseford for the ships promotions. It isn't even allowed to get the movement bonus from Bermuda Triangle. AI never enters the triangle. I once made a map with Maori trapped with it in a tiny ocean by mountains, but even if they cross it, the effect is nothing.

Barbarian clans are just a source for cheap units, but I have noticed that after the early game, they sit around and do nothing. They want the player to pay the outrageous gold for them to actually attack someone, and that attack will be a minor annoyance at best. I would be more likely to gift the gold to the AI players instead, since they are so pathetic. Since it ruins the threat of barbarians, they needed to invent the zombie defense to replace them, which might be the same effect as this mod.

Secret Societies are probably the best of these modes, and for the longest time it made the game easier with free governor titles. While this is no longer the case, the new thing to do in every game is to pick up Sinbad or Hercules in the Ancient Era. It seems the AI is not any good at forming corporations or monopolies, plus it's not hard to get to where you can wind up with max gold, or too much production, using normal means.

Dramatic Ages is the biggest joke of all, as the AI does not go out of it's way to farm Era score, and is incapable of taking back their cities, but If you play someone with strong military, like Persia, you can police the world, retake your cities that fall away, and get praise from AI for liberating their cities, a chance to rename their cities, and razing them down, or wiping out players you don't like. You can also sell the cities, and change the borders this way, but you inevitably become god-like in doing so, which is why it's better to play with hot seat instead of single player, and play two civilizations.

All these things are great for multiplayer against other humans, but single player is just an after thought. I play Civ 5, and Civ 2, when I want good single player adventures, or to actually feel threatened. Single Player in Civ 6 is just to teach you the game, and when you master the system, it's more or less the same every time. You don't really need to care about the AI at all, except to slow down their science, or pillage pillage pillage to get further ahead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom