Railroad

Klasanov

Catz!!!
How do I disable railroad building? I am thinking of putting gems as a strategic resource but will it crash my game?

I want to do this because I want to play huge map but heard the cause of slowdown is all the railroads the AI builds, and it moves across every square... every unit.

or do you mean change steam power in the tech tree to none? Thereby eliminating it from the game?
might work. We'll just move onto coal power instead... Wait, doesn't steam power give coal? I'll have to change that

In the editor, you can set which era each tech comes in (Ancient, Middle, Industrial, Modern). You can also set it to None, which means that the tech will not appear anywahere in the tech tree, cannot be discovered and connot be traded. The only way to put the tech into play is to give it to a civ as one of their startign techs. If you make railroads have a prerequisite of an era_none tech, but don't give that tech to anyone, the tech will never be discovered and so the prequisite for railroads will never be fulfilled. That's the theory anyway.

You can just create a new civ advance, set it to era = none. Then set the railroad prerequisite to that tech. Them you can leave steam power alone and not mess up the tech tree.

instead of doing that, you could just uncheck the box for "Build Railroad" in the "Worker/Engineer Action" section of the unit editor.

Originally posted by trevor
instead of doing that, you could just uncheck the box for "Build Railroad" in the "Worker/Engineer Action" section of the unit editor.
A voice of reason!

as far as setting gems to strategic, that will not crash your game.

Doooh! :crazyeye:

Should have thought of that.

If you are talking about AI functions under the Units tab, won't unchecking any of the worker functions disabled the worker AI entirely? In other words, I thought all the worker functions had to be checked off for the AI to use workers properly. Or am I mistaken?

Originally posted by Ed O'War
If you are talking about AI functions under the Units tab, won't unchecking any of the worker functions disabled the worker AI entirely? In other words, I thought all the worker functions had to be checked off for the AI to use workers properly. Or am I mistaken?

Yep - the Worker AI strategy box will become greyed out. The AI will still build workers, but they won't know what to do with them.

You are right Ed O`War.
Unchecking one worker function will disable AI.
I have just tested it.

This seems to work:
Add a new resource (for example pigs).
Check it as strategic.
Worker jobs(railroad) required resources: pigs.
Terrain type:pigs not possible in any terrain.

It`s obvious that Firaxis have made a "holy" design
decision concerning railroads.
I doubt they will change it.

Top Bottom