Ranged Combat Mechanics?

Athenaeum

Prince
I have some questions about ranged combat mechanics.

Do Ranged promotions apply to Ranged Defense as well? For example, if my Comp bowman has a rough terrain ranged promotion and is standing on a hill, will he acquire extra ranged defense?

Also the rough terrain promotion only applies to attacking other units in rough terrain right? In other words you do not get an attack bonus from standing in rough terrain while shooting a unit in open terrain.

Shooting promotions apply only to attacking units in certain terrain

yes the promotion applies only to the damage you do to the target you are bombarding and the terrain they are standing on. Generally open bombardment is better because water is open and on many maps this means there is a greater amount of open then rough terrain. Also archers can't see over forest or hills making rough harder to use. I might make a couple rough ones though and station them on hilltops in forested cities or areas.

Shooting promotions apply only to attacking units in certain terrain
That makes perfect sense, yet I never quite figured it out. So the archer lines benefit from defensive terrain, but cannot get the additional buffs to terrain defenses, correct?

How about subs? If the naval promotion has no defensive value (I had assumed it did), is it pointless as compared to the attack promotion?

Generally open bombardment is better because water is open.

I've often wondered about this. I usually take Open with my ranged units so they can attack barb ships along the coast, but I never knew if it actually worked. Theoretically, it makes sense that water should be considered open terrain, but I was never quite sure if the mechanics only considered land tiles for this distinction.

Top Bottom