Ravenna bombard bug?

Jivilov

Prince
Hi Conquests fans. Just played a Rise of Rome Conquest as Macedon. Late in the game I went against the Romans using lots of flaming catapults in an attempt to cut the Legionaries down to size.

Results were mixed--Legionary III's are tough nuts to crack--and in one particular case unreasonably bad, even ridiculous. Bombarding Ravenna with a stack of 25 flaming cats succeeded in inflicting a grand total of 2 hit points on defending units in 2 successive turns. On the first turn a barracks was destroyed, which I thought wasn't supposed to happen until defenders were redlined.

Ravenna was a size 3 town with walls, located on a hill, so defenders were doubled. Yet it seems the miniscule damage was illogical, especially since bombardment against units in other cities succeeded roughly a third of the time. Has anyone else had this experience while bombarding Ravenna? :confused:

Walls cause buildings to be hit before units. A peril of owning the Great Wall is that wonders can be destroyed by bombardment. :eek:

I don't know mechanics that well, but buried somewhere in the forum is an analysis of bombardment mechanics. I think walls provide additional bombardment defense. But in any case cats against a walled town on a hill is a tough nut to crack.

Walls cause buildings to be hit before units.

Thanks Puppeteer, wasn't aware of that. But cities (size 7-12) give the same +50% defensive bonus, so how come they didn't act nearly as bulletproof? Didn't destroy any buildings either. And doesn't it seem a bit odd to fire 25 shots with only 2 (or 3, if you count the barracks) hits in 2 successive turns? :(

at times AI decides not to bow to the human player's firepower . If you find yourself in such a bind , break the cycle and attack with something else . If you manage to kill something , the bombardment will improve . In a mod ı would something up to 150 pieces of catapults and this cycle thing definitely helps .

at times AI decides not to bow to the human player's firepower . If you find yourself in such a bind , break the cycle and attack with something else . If you manage to kill something , the bombardment will improve . In a mod ı would something up to 150 pieces of catapults and this cycle thing definitely helps .

Much obliged r16. Will definitely try "break[ing] the cycle" next time. Incidentally, I attacked Ravenna after the second-turn bombardment anyway. There were only 2 Garrison units defending--the AI had moved the Legionaries out to attempt recapture of another city--and Ravenna fell easily to an old Hoplite army with hardly a hit. Go figure :lol:.

Top Bottom