Raze An Empty Barbarian Camp 100 Times by Reloading

tuckerkao

King
Sounds like a badge that takes a long time to acquire for "Raze 100 Barbarian Camps Across Any Numbers of Playthrough". I did it in just half an hour by Clearing the Camp, then Reload.

The camp was empty because my slinger already killed the spearmen inside. Saved game is in the attachment.

I used 3 of my French Musketeers to surround this type of camps and the middle musketeer to raze the camp, I got a badge for that too.

I usually select "No Barbarians" in advance setting, so I can earn badges faster.

Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\ModdedSaves\single

Attachments

• Pachacuti_0015 AD-1507.rar
    281.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Empty Barbarian Camp.jpg
    Empty Barbarian Camp.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 284
Why do you need to cheat? That is one of the easiest to get... I got that achievement more than a year ago - without cheating...

Can the same method be used for the English sinking ships achievement?

To me, Steam "achievements" are incidental to any game I play. They're the kind of thing I look at for a few seconds, think "meh" and then go and do something more interesting, like cleaning my finger nails.

Seriously. These "over any number of play through" "achievements" are so easily acquired through normal play, that I'm saddened to think anybody wasted 30 minutes of their finite life, repeatedly reloading a save game to get one.

I'm surprised the kind of people who actually make a conscious effort to acquire Steam "achievements" are even interested in strategy games at all..? Surely there's a mind-numbingly repetitive shooter out there, chock-full of Steam "achievements" that would be much more satisfying?

Can the same method be used for the English sinking ships achievement?

yes and also for those 1.000 mines, 1.000 forests and the other 1.000, I don't remember its name.
For the 100 barbarian camps it is easy to earn by normal play, so I didn't bother saving and rerolling.

I don't understand the reason for doing this. What did you accomplish?

If you don't like them that's fine. To each their own, but if they are earned in an honest fashion they are not silly.

(In response to OP) Lame. :thumbsdown:

I just got that achievement for real last week.

I have always thought that Steam achievements should be reserved for things that are accomplished in multiplayer. Civ is not the only game with this problem. Even some of Valve's own core games... people get the achievements by doing dumb stuff.

I have always thought that Steam achievements should be reserved for things that are accomplished in multiplayer. Civ is not the only game with this problem. Even some of Valve's own core games... people get the achievements by doing dumb stuff.

While I agree there should be more multiplayer achievements, I do not think it would make sense for them to be reserved for multiplayer, as multiplayer is only in use by a tiny minority (which I agree is a pity).

The problem, imho, is that too many of them are trivial, and with no substance. As if they had been thought up in bulk at a short meeting, just to put something in. No real thought has gone into them.

Perhaps with this new patch, being primarily focused on multiplayer, they will include more multiplayer achievements.

Well, steam achievements give some extra motivation to play the game. I mean I won the game by all victory types and on the most difficult level, so there is no really challenge to play it once again (well, there is a challenge try to do all victory types on deity, but for example I usually switch off diplomatic victory as i consider it to be stupid, so try to do "stupid" victory on deity - i don't have so much time to waste in my life, if i'm not interested in the result).
But when I play to enjoy the game - it's kinda nice to "spice" a game with "stupid" element just for fun. Like to win with India a cultural victory building not more than 3 cities... Well, if not steam achievement I don't think i would ever play for India at all.

What concerns "MP" achievement, to follow the discussion - civ's only MP achievement can be easily done in single player. You need to host a game and instead of real players make AI to play for other civs. Win this game - and you'll have the achievement (it's also will work if you win the game when all other players have left the game and you finish it with AI's replacing them).

So I agree that steam achievements are stupid, but sometimes it's fun.

Well, steam achievements give some extra motivation to play the game. I mean I won the game by all victory types and on the most difficult level, so there is no really challenge to play it once again (well, there is a challenge try to do all victory types on deity, but for example I usually switch off diplomatic victory as i consider it to be stupid, so try to do "stupid" victory on deity - i don't have so much time to waste in my life, if i'm not interested in the result).
But when I play to enjoy the game - it's kinda nice to "spice" a game with "stupid" element just for fun. Like to win with India a cultural victory building not more than 3 cities... Well, if not steam achievement I don't think i would ever play for India at all.

What concerns "MP" achievement, to follow the discussion - civ's only MP achievement can be easily done in single player. You need to host a game and instead of real players make AI to play for other civs. Win this game - and you'll have the achievement (it's also will work if you win the game when all other players have left the game and you finish it with AI's replacing them).

So I agree that steam achievements are stupid, but sometimes it's fun.
I didn't know that you could do a multiplayer game with AI players for all but one player. I did figure out that the hotseat multiplayer (which I believe was added in a patch) does not count for the achievement though. I played a hotseat game with my son and it did not trigger the achievement. I later played an Internet game with my brother and the achievement was unlocked.

Achievements are really, for the most part, a way to add another layer of enjoyment to the single player experience.

That said, I only enjoy achievements when I stumble across them. I can't be bothered, in any game, to specifically work on a achievement - especially if it means gaming the system somehow.

Because reloading the game 100 times certainly does sound enjoyable.

It takes about 3 minutes to load a game on my laptop. I think that would take me about 5 hours. I probably could have found and cleared that many camps that would have kept popping up on their own in that amount of time.

Incidentally, it's really bloody stupid that you can only get about 2% of the achievements in multiplayer.

Top Bottom