Razing a City

Originally posted by MajorFallout
[2) You could leave the city intact for a couple of turns, and then abandon it (via contextual menu). This, I think, will not make you look as bad to the other civs, as you haven't really razed the city.
'. [/B]
that only happens when your civilions in that city equale or out number the local natinals, i think thats right

I dont really care, i just burn them.

When I played Civ 3, I did allways get the opprtunity to keep, or raze a city. Now in PTW I played as Vikings for the first time, and all the coast cities that I took from the Roman with my berserks from a galley were automaticaly razed. After that I played as Japan, none of the cities were razed automaticaly.

So, is automaticaly razing only a thing that happens with the Vikings, or is it anything else?

I coulnt blame them, the vikings werent exactly nice to conquered cities...

Originally posted by PersianImmortal
this maybe a newbie question, but do you need a specific Tech to be able to 'retain' the conquered city??

I was in the Ancient times when i started taking over my neighbor England and everytime I won a city conquering combat my units would automatically raise it to ground and i'd be given the popup that they did.. and some techs later they were able to win the final battle and actually move into the city without raising it ..

No you don't need a specific tech.

What happens is sometimes the city's population is killed in the attacks, if the entire city's population is wiped out, the city is simply no more.

like i said, i just burn them.

Originally posted by sysyphus
What happens is sometimes the city's population is killed in the attacks, if the entire city's population is wiped out, the city is simply no more.

Yeah, and it seems to be pretty random whether or not the population will be killed. Most of the time, I am able to capture size 1 AI capitols early in the game, but there are still those times when they automaticly get razed. That can really get annoying if you bombard a city down to 1, and it has wonders. You can't really predict if it'll auto-raze or not.... :(

Basically, I just try to keep cities if they are in good locations (part of my grand scheme of things), or if they contain wonders. I also usually try to keep the capitol, just for my personal fun... Unless, of course, the civ had been particularly annoying, in which case I just love to watch it disappear off the face of the planet.

hehe, ive bombed size 25 cities to 1 before. it takes a while though (i was a bit pissed off at the persians)

ehh jus nuke it a couple times. That should cut that time almost in half! But, yeah, if you don't wanna take a rep hit and raze the city, bomb it down to 1 and hope it gets razed. If not, starve the city and build a worker. There. no more city.

I usually raze hopelessly backward civs, since I can't extort any significant tribute from them and in order to reduce the competition for resource trading.

I never raize cities. Cities to me are way to valuble.

A city will be razed automaticly if its size 1 and has no culture

Thats why most of the time, in the ancient era, when u capture a AI's city, ur troops will burn it since the AI doesnt usually build culture city imporvs till later on,when most of the nearby land have been taken.

Thats pretty annoying cos the AI always has some settler saved somewhere on will build another city in the same place

So afaik no cities with wonders should b auto-razed. Maybe if the town hasnt expanded its cultural borders yet, (for instance if the wonder was built 2 or 3 turns ago), that could happen, but i doubt it

But answer the inicial question:
No, I dont raze cities in any circunstances. The reputation hit is too big to risk

I ususally don't raze, but in certain cases I do - more or less surgically:

• enemy capitals with almost complete spaceships within
  • enemy cities I consider a severe threat and that are impossible to keep in the long run (typically cities that have the UN or a wonder I really don't want my enemy to have)
  • cities that are close to one of the aforementioned types, if I have enough units left after the first raze ...
Destroying wonders intentionally may seem a little harsh or even uncivilized, but in a few cases I consider it last resort against stronger enemies.

I'm a big fan of razing cities. A very very big fan.... I usually capture their capital city and a few neighboring ones (I have ENORMOUS culture so none ever jump back) because they are usually the most prosperous, plus they provide a little rest-stop/staging ground for my troops. Then I raze EVERY other city (unless it has a wonder). No one really seems to care though, the other civilizations don't hate me any more for it. I one razed two entire civilizations and everyone still loved me (except for the civilizations I wiped out :))

Does the enemy get angry if you abandon (not raze) a recently captured city? I don't want to keep cities, because foreign workers are awfully slow, and foreign people get angry if you go to war with their native civ.

Captured cities do come in useful...

Of course you could capture a city (since the AI apparently thinks they're very valuable), ask for peace and then trade the city for one of their cities, that you wanted for a while.

Originally posted by MajorFallout
Captured cities do come in useful...

Of course you could capture a city (since the AI apparently thinks they're very valuable), ask for peace and then trade the city for one of their cities, that you wanted for a while.
How often have you successfully done this? On what difficulty? Which patch level? I never met a AI willing to trade me one of their cities, unless as part of a peace deal.

I usually raze cities I capture. Like in the game I am playing now, I am the Persians and the Zulus are near me, and have been extorting tech from me. When I finally get around to kicking their ass, I'm gonna show no mercy for those blackmailing bastards.

Originally posted by DiamondzAndGunz

Yeah, and it seems to be pretty random whether or not the population will be killed. Most of the time, I am able to capture size 1 AI capitols early in the game, but there are still those times when they automaticly get razed. That can really get annoying if you bombard a city down to 1, and it has wonders. You can't really predict if it'll auto-raze or not.... :(

Basically, I just try to keep cities if they are in good locations (part of my grand scheme of things), or if they contain wonders. I also usually try to keep the capitol, just for my personal fun... Unless, of course, the civ had been particularly annoying, in which case I just love to watch it disappear off the face of the planet.

Idunno, but I think that even size 1 caps are never raised automatically, that apllies only to size 1 normal cities, but than they're always raised.

Top Bottom