RBP3 - Living by Faith (OPEN SG, Arabs Emp)

OMGWHTTZ - I love it! :D

Let this be a lesson as to why no one should mess around with Charis and Sirian. India goes from leading world power to OCC status in just 20 turns. If domination was your goal, you could probably trigger that before winning 100K culture. :p

Originally posted by Charis

It's too bad that to gain a 100K victory on Emperor it's virtually required to go wipe out another civ (unless map conditions are quite unusual) - we couldn't have pursued culture any harder than with our ruleset.

I think that if the no cash rushing of culture buildings would have been 'relaxed' earlier in the game that the Indians would not have had to been taken out to make this culture win work. Yet, if the no cash rushing of culture buildings would have held up to the end of the game the game might have lasted a bit longer but I doubt that any of the remaining civs had the real strength to make a space race much of a real concern either.

Great map Charis, don't think it could have been crafted much better to support the special rules, except for maybe the luxuries. ;)

AFAIK, there never was a restriction on cash-rushing anything. It is not listed in the rules on the front page. I rushed a cathedral at MM early on or it never would have got going. The main reason I didn't rush more is we were always broke! We barely got to Sistine and then we were heavy on maintenance and never had the dough back when it most mattered.

If we had been allowed to rush some key courthouses, we could have sped up our culture at some sites. AFAIK, Charis's intent here was NOT focused on fastest possible culture, since the variant rules stood in the way of that in many instances. :p

- Sirian

I guess the first page never got updated so I was playing under the rules on page 2.:o

* The Forbidden Palace and Culture
- It's expected to have a very large number of cities, each with all the cultural
buildings they can make, but without spending CASH to rush them. This means they
will need food, and lots of it, both for the purpose of a govt swap-pop rush,
and to take as many workers off the field to be taxmen, to pay for these buildings.

I agree, we were never too flush with cash anyway, it was a fun run!

Yada yada yada... :p

Sorry about the confusion on this one, mea culpa. Cash rushing was allowed, just 'discouraged'. It was crucial for MM as Sirian suggested, and yes, we never were exactly flush on cash. :lol:

The other SG going for emperor 100K was TH2 by T-hawk. They had no variant restrictions iirc, but had to get to over *200K* culture before they doubled another civ, and they had swarms of cities trying to 'pull ahead'. It took many many turns past the 100k mark to finish it. If they had been as warmongerish as the Grand Nagus, it could have been just 20 turns :p

Oh, btw, thanks for the 'nice map' comment, but that was pure rng. I really didn't envision us on a continent of our own, as it made moot the whole farmer's gambit idea, but we had enough land (and Prophet's Isle, woo!) for the map to work out extremely well. It was also interesting to see a FP hand-built *so* early.

Let's wrap this up -- our players here should jump in there and grab it one last time.

Thanks,
Charis

Warmongerish? Hmmph. I thought I had a reputation as an avid builder. :p

Actually, it's more like a Defensive Focus reputation. In Descent, they called me the ultimate Tunnel Rat. I hate to lose, so I didn't take many unmeasured risks. I was widely hated for playing "mind games", minimizing my exposure to enemy fire instead of challenging opponents in straight up dog fights. Of course, some made the mistake of believing that meant I couldn't dogfight well, but I kind of enjoyed that reputation. There was enormous entertainment obtained in the depth of silence pursuant to flipping the dial on my flight AggressoMeter from "careful" to "relentless" and shoving my ship and heavy weapons fire into their face nonstop for ten minutes. Those who broke and ran never got to whine (with credibility) ever again, and I savored the shocked quietude perhaps a little too much. :satan: :whipped: :lol: Always a good plan to have an ace in the hole. :)

OK OK, maybe I am a teensy little bit warmongerish after all. :p

- Sirian

@Charis : Sorry can only play on Sunday so I'll grab it on Saturday night if no-one has done it before...

Poor Ms Bee :(
Not even on Valentine's day can she keep her Cartouche from Civ3 away ;)

@Skyfish Oh no no no!! I was a good boy for Valentines.

PT - Reassign all home land cities to infrastructure. Load a transport to move workers to the home land.

1705 - India has been eliminated. Some artillery are ordered to be used to add shine to mosques. Worker production will be phased out to wealth. Workers are added back to homeland cities. Upgrade galleon to be ready for transporting workers to Profit Island. New government ordered.

1710 - Change to democracy gets us back over 650 GPT.

1715 - Continue restructure to settle unclaimed land, build mosques and relocate workers to holy cities.

1720 - Ditto

1725 - Ditto

IBT - Japan demands Motorized Transport - I think not! They declare war!

1730 - They move 2 stacks of units into the jungle to cut us off from New Kufah, not worried about that. They move another major stack towards Busiris, we obliterate all 35 units. Take out a few other single unit counter attacks. General Hind, goes back to headquarters with the news of the Japanese treachery on the front, with the battle smoke still settling they decide to wait a while before committing to forming another army. Since we were stronger than Japan before the battles I'm sure that Japan being about 40 units lighter now should be rethinking their last move. Claim Kish to better secure the narrows back to the Holy land. Since we have moved units from the interior to the front lines, the ROP with the Iroquois has been repealed.

1735 - The only Japanese counter attacks come from bombing runs on resources from Heliopilis and Memphis. So they become the focus of our counter attacks, to reclaim more of our rightful realm of influence.

1740 - We claim the ancient cities of Babylon and Ur. Japan has some forces but they are caught now retreating back though the jungle, that plan over there seemed to have failed solely on poor planning.

1745 - Keeping the pressure on the Japs.

1750 - OK, the Japs are ready to talk but they have another SOD of 27 units in my sights, the purging of the SOD produce the GL Ziyad Ibn Abihi, he will stick around for the next Abu at missionary Mosque. Japan sees the light and we let them off the hook, I think we lighten them of about 90 units in this war but our spy informs us that they still have 70 infantry left . :) Our spies have a good line on everybody at this point.

We are making more than 1000 GPT now from building up cities and trimming non-military unit expenses. I've left a leader and also two empty armies.

1750AD

Yowsa, look at that sea of pink!!!! Surely the faith is being spread to the very corners of the earth! :hammer:

Abu Cartouche has done well in not caving in to the demands of the infidel Japanese. The lesson he has taught them will not soon be forgotten...

May the Skyfish calm down the people and warm their hearts!

Charis

Wow CB ! nice turn !

Ben Skyfish the Heartwarmer has gotten it.

He will let Ziyad Ibn Abihi rule for 20 years.

Iraq : The Sunni-Shia Controversy.

The most critical problem that faced the young Islamic community revolved around the rightful successor to the office of caliph. Uthman, the third caliph, had encountered opposition during and after his election to the caliphate. Ali ibn Abu Talib, the Prophet Muhammad's cousin and son-in-law (by virtue of his marrying the Prophet's only surviving child, Fatima), had been the other contender.

Ali's pietism was disquieting to certain vested-interest groups, who perceived the more conservative Uthman as more likely to continue the policies of the previous caliph, Umar. Discontent increased, as did Ali's formal opposition to Uthman based on religious grounds. Ali claimed that innovations had been introduced that were not consonant with Quranic directives. Economics was the key factor for most of the members of the opposition, but this, too, acquired religious overtones.

As a result of the rapid military expansion of the Islamic movement, financial troubles beset Uthman. Many beduins had offered themselves for military service in Iraq and in Egypt. Their abstemious and hard life contrasted with the leisured life of Arabs in the Hijaz (the western part of the Arabian Peninsula), who were enjoying the benefits of conquest. When these volunteer soldiers questioned the allocation of lands and the distribution of revenues and pensions, they found a ready spokesman in Ali.

Groups of malcontents eventually left Iraq and Egypt to seek redress at Medina in the Hijaz. Uthman promised reforms, but on their return journey the rebels intercepted a message to the governor of Egypt commanding that they be punished. In response, the rebels besieged Uthman in his home in Medina, eventually slaying him. Uthman's slayer was a Muslim and a son of the first caliph, Abu Bakr. The Muslim world was shaken. Ali, who had not taken part in the siege, was chosen caliph.

Two opponents of Ali enlisted Aisha, a widow of the Prophet Muhammad, to join them in accusing Ali and demanding retribution for Uthman's death. When the three went to Iraq to seek support for their cause, Ali's forces engaged theirs near Basra. Aisha's two companions were killed, and Ali was clearly victorious. Muawiyah, a kinsman of Uthman and the governor of Syria, then refused to recognize Ali, and he demanded the right to avenge his relative's death. In what was perhaps the most important battle fought between Muslims, Ali's forces met Muawiyah's at the Plain of Siffin near the largest bend of the Euphrates River. Muawiyah's forces, seeing that they were losing, proposed arbitration. Accordingly, two arbitrators were chosen to decide whether Uthman's death had been deserved. Such a decision would give his slayer status as an executioner rather than as a murderer and would remove the claims of Uthman's relatives. When the arbitrators decided against Ali, he protested that the verdict was not in accordance with sharia (Islamic law) and declared his intention to resume the battle.

Ali's decision, however, came too late for the more extreme of his followers. Citing the Quranic injunction to fight rebels until they obey, these followers insisted that Ali was morally wrong to submit to arbitration. In doing so, they claimed, he bowed to the judgment of men--as opposed to the judgment of God that would have been revealed by the outcome of the battle. These dissenters, known as Kharajites (from the verb kharaja--to go out), withdrew from battle, an action that had far-reaching political effects on the Islamic community in the centuries ahead. Before resuming his dispute with Muawiyah, Ali appealed to the Kharajites; when they rejected the appeal, he massacred many of them. Furious at his treatment of pious Muslims, most of Ali's forces deserted him. He was forced to return to Al Kufah--about 150 kilometers south of Baghdad--and to await developments within the Islamic community.

A number of Islamic leaders met at Adruh in present-day Jordan, and the same two arbitrators from Siffin devised a solution to the succession problem. At last it was announced that neither Ali nor Muawiyah should be caliph; Abd Allah, a son of Umar, was proposed. The meeting terminated in confusion, however, and no final decision was reached. Both Ali and Muawiyah bided their time in their separate governorships: Muawiyah, who had been declared caliph by some of his supporters, in newly conquered Egypt, and Ali, in Iraq. Muawiyah fomented discontent among those only partially committed to Ali. While praying in a mosque at Al Kufah, Ali was murdered by a Kharajite in 661. The ambitious Muawiyah induced Ali's eldest son, Hasan, to renounce his claim to the caliphate. Hasan died shortly thereafter, probably of consumption, but the Shias (see Glossary) later claimed that he had been poisoned and dubbed him "Lord of All Martyrs." Ali's unnatural death ensured the future of the Shia movement--Ali's followers returned to his cause--and quickened its momentum. With the single exception of the Prophet Muhammad, no man has had a greater impact on Islamic history. The Shia declaration of faith is: "There is no God but God; Muhammad is his Prophet and Ali is the Saint of God."

Subsequently, Muawiyah was declared caliph. Thus began the Umayyad Dynasty, which had its capital at Damascus. Yazid I, Muawiyah's son and his successor in 680, was unable to contain the opposition that his strong father had vigorously quelled. Husayn, Ali's second son, refused to pay homage and fled to Mecca, where he was asked to lead the Shias--mostly Iraqis--in a revolt against Yazid I. Ubayd Allah, governor of Al Kufah, discovered the plot and sent detachments to dissuade him. At Karbala, in Iraq, Husayn's band of 200 men and women refused to surrender and finally were cut down by a force of perhaps 4,000 Umayyad troops. Yazid I received Husayn's head, and Husayn's death on the tenth of Muharram (October 10, 680) continues to be observed as a day of mourning for all Shias. Ali's burial place at An Najaf, about 130 kilometers south of Baghdad, and Husayn's at Karbala, about 80 kilometers southwest of Baghdad, are holy places of pilgrimage for Shias, many of whom feel that a pilgrimage to both sites is equal to a pilgrimage to Mecca (see Religious Life , ch. 2).

The importance of these events in the history of Islam cannot be overemphasized. They created the greatest of the Islamic schisms, between the party of Ali (the Shiat Ali, known in the West as Shias or Shiites) and the upholders of Muawiyah (the Ahl as Sunna, the People of the Sunna--those who follow Muhammad's custom and example) or the Sunnis (see Glossary). The Sunnis believe they are the followers of orthodoxy. The ascendancy of the Umayyads and the events at Karbala, in contrast, led to a Shia Islam which, although similar to Sunni Islam in its basic tenets, maintains important doctrinal differences that have had pervasive effects on the Shia world view. Most notably, Shias have viewed themselves as the opposition in Islam, the opponents of privilege and power. They believe that after the death of Ali and the ascension of the "usurper" Umayyads to the caliphate, Islam took the wrong path; therefore, obedience to existing temporal authority is not obligatory. Furthermore, in sacrificing his own life for a just cause, Husayn became the archetypal role model who inspired generations of Shias to fight for social equality and for economic justice.

During his caliphate, Ali had made Al Kufah his capital. The transfer of power to Syria and to its capital at Damascus aroused envy among Iraqis. The desire to regain preeminence prompted numerous rebellions in Iraq against Umayyad rule. Consequently, only men of unusual ability were sent to be governors of Al Basrah and Al Kufah. One of the most able was Ziyad ibn Abihi, who was initially governor of Al Basrah and later also of Al Kufah. Ziyad divided the residents of Al Kufah into four groups (not based on tribal affiliation) and appointed a leader for each one. He also sent 50,000 beduins to Khorasan (in northeastern Iran), the easternmost province of the empire, which was within the jurisdiction of Al Basrah and Al Kufah.

The Iraqis once again became restive when rival claimants for the Umayyad caliphate waged civil war between 687 and 692. Ibn Yasuf ath Thaqafi al Hajjaj was sent as provincial governor to restore order in Iraq in 694. He pacified Iraq and encouraged both agriculture and education.

It's on "auto-pilot" as the General CB says, left with a perfect world I just concentrated on building loads of culture.
Early :
Gems traded with china.
China declares on Celts
Middle : china has got Computers but no deal.
We hit 90039 culture points and make aro. 840 per turn, not much time left...
Spanish finish Fission and build the UN...
Late : we lose our Spy in Beijing. No consequence. Seville building UN, prod of 67, due in 12 turns.
We discover Ecology (last turn), trade it (+800g) to China for Fission and Computers (nice tufer) : switch around some some build orders to Research Lab.
We are at almost 95K culture...

The great Leader Abihi is still in Medina waiting for the orders of the new Abu, the Abu that will lead us to certain and glorious victory. He could help our pious people to build the United Nations ! :D
I find it most fitting that an Iraki should build this prestigeous institution. I have to greatly restrict myself not to make some (too overt) peaceful political comment having played this fitting variant at such opportune time. :(

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/Abu_Bakr_of_the_Arabs,_1770_AD.zip

It was such an honour to play such a beautiful game with such glorious company. Thanks to the Abu, the Nagus and the General (and all the others of course) !

ps : if you want more info about what I have written about the Sunnite and Shiite, you can PM me...

Oh most holy and pious Abu Charis:

The world will shortly be entering a new age, Allah willing. Through the grace of Allah, the Holy Lands are on the verge of cultural enlightenment. Worldwide, people are tuning into the Voice of Arabia, anxiously awaiting your return and guidance...

JMB

Is someone going to pick this game up and finish it? Sounds like all you need to do is hit spacebar a few times to win. I'd grab the game myself, but one of the 'regulars' who played in this game should have the honor of finishing it. :)

I've been wanting to do so, but wanted to give others a chance to hop in. Seeing that has not happened...

Abu Charis will guide the great people of Arabia to crossing the finish line of the fruits of our cultural efforts! :love:

Charis

Top Bottom