Reading Wii Files

civplayah

phantasm
I was just wondering if there's any way to read a wii's files (by computer, or some other kind of device).

Also, while I'm on the topic of wiis, how exactly do they make a game for a wii? Do they make it on the computer then allow it to be read by a wii or something?

I think you need the Wii SDK, which has a hefty price tag.

Production discs are encrypted.

Development kits are expensive and don't have DVD drives. You write the program using PC tools and send the compiled program to the devkit. It can read data from the PC HDD. It's really unreliable though, and the debugger was poor compared to the PlayStation (good) and XBox (excellent) ones.

You can also get modified Wiis which read DVDs you produce (made by a special DVD burner which you have to buy from Nintendo, AND it doesn't use normal DVDs, you have to buy those from Nintendo too). There's also a version with a HDD instead of a DVD drive. You can use this to test discs with the proper Wii OS. It doesn't play production (encrypted) discs though. These are mainly used for gametesting purposes or for going to shows etc.

There is a way to force a production Wii to download your executable code but that's not really legal, and you still need to get the compiler and stuff. Also, not all of the libraries work and it's a hassle to get going.

You can only get a devkit if you convince Nintendo you mean business so either need a publisher or a good pitch for a game for Wiiware download and some history of games development.

Games are developed in C or C++ usually but you can use assembly code too for time critical bits. It's a power PC CPU. It has the same GPU as the Gamecube but it runs faster. It doesn't have full shader support but it has a flexible programmable pipeline. It's a bit weird.

EDIT: The graphics API is based on OpenGL (so is the PS3 - although the PS3 has proper pixel and vertex shaders). The XBox360 is based on DirectX obviously, although you must use shaders (i.e. there is no fixed GPU pipeline in the 360).

Modding the Wii is also a bit of a pain since Nintendo tries to make it harder to mod with each new generation.

Yeah if you want to learn to make games you better with a PC. The Wii is old tech.

But that's piracy, no?

But that's piracy, no?

No.

From the Dolphin FAQ:

Dolphin can currently only run "images", also known as ISO or GCM files, of Gamecube and Wii games, since a PC DVD drive cannot read the discs directly.

To make a game image, the easiest method is to install Homebrew Channel and the Wii Disc Dumper on a Wii, and simply copy the game to your PC over the network. Information about how to do that can be found on Google.

Oh, so you still need the Wii to get the files onto the PC.

But they aren't readable as DVDs.

sorry, i meant download from the internet, not from the dvd.

The important thing is that you have a license to the software, the method you use to acquire the software isn't relevant.

dmca.

Well, if you want to worry about whether things are technically piracy, in the UK it's copyright infringement to copy CDs you bought onto a computer or mp3 player. But that doesn't stop anyone doing it, or talking about it :)

Top Bottom