Real Eurekas

Real Eurekas 5.0.1

Infixo

Deity
Infixo submitted a new resource:

Real Eurekas - With 150+ new Eurekas that are randomly assigned each game will look different

Make Eurekas a real surprise! There are 150+ new ones and they are randomly assigned to Techs and Civics. Each game will look different from now on.

How does it work?
The game offers a limited set of Eureka boosts that can actually be parameterized. Basically when there's a boost related to X of something, 'X' can be changed and 'something' can be something else. Theoretically any boost can be assigned to any tech/civic but in practice most of such assignments doesn't make any sense...

Read more about this resource...

Want your own Eurekas?
You can come up with your own Eurekas - I'd be more than happy to include them in the mod. There are still many techs and civics (I'd say ~30) that I wasn't able to come up with more than 1 new boost. However, if you want to help me here, you need to present an explanation. That's actually the most difficult part :) So, to summarize, 3 things are needed:
- event i.e. a new version of "X of something" or an existing one if you have an idea how to reuse it,
- tech / civic which it boosts,
- explanation i.e. why this event inspired someone to invent given tech/civic

I like it, but is there any chance you can fix the "new eureka's on loading game" or is that not a possibility with the current tools?

Not possible as of now. Eurekas are considered 'game config' and thus aren't stored in the save file and also cannot be changed within a game (read-only).
But I take into consideration that once you research a tech/civic, you no longer see if it was boosted or not. The UI just doesn't show this info any more.

Btw, what do you considered a greater inconvenience: the fact that future ones may change or that the triggered ones have changed?

Not possible as of now. Eurekas are considered 'game config' and thus aren't stored in the save file and also cannot be changed within a game (read-only).
But I take into consideration that once you research a tech/civic, you no longer see if it was boosted or not. The UI just doesn't show this info any more.

Btw, what do you considered a greater inconvenience: the fact that future ones may change or that the triggered ones have changed?

Future ones. It would, for one, allow for save-scumming so that you could get the "perfect" eureka's for what you're doing; you just load until you get the one you want. Or, alternatively, you go for one Eureka, and then reload until all techs that can have that eureka as requirement have had it, so that you have the eureka for all of them, even though they were varied.

And for people who are too honest to do that, there's still the problem that you can be working towards one eureka, then have to stop, continue later on and the eureka changed at once. Or, in a case like mine, I play the standard 1-2 hours at once, but I also tend to play 5-15 minutes before college or in a college break, which means I play some two or three turns and then stop again, and when I continue, I have to do a new load, so I'd come across a lot of the eureka's just because of my playstyle.

That said, if it can't be changed, it can't be changed.

@Leyrann Future ones - yes you can exploit it a little. But then again - if you really want to exploit the game, there are much easier ways. Take FireTuner and give yourself 10000 gold... It's really up to you if you take what RNG gives and play or gonna look for a better setup. And, afaik, there's no achievement for 'get all Eurekas' :lol:.

2nd part. Did you notice how you said 'working towards one eureka'? IRL nobody is working towards any eureka - they are random. Life's like a box of chocolates... All-in-all you can consider this an element of game randomization that will force you to change tactics every once in a while.

To be honest, I was even thinking about removing tool-tips about Eurekas from tech/civic tree. So you will actually not know what triggers what (only general idea maybe...). And when it triggers - that's a really real Eureka! But I abandoned this idea as too hardcore :lol:

Hmm... I've just realized that I could actually make tool-tips more generic, like 'train your archers and fight barbarians'. That could mean 'get 2 archers', 'get 3 archers', 'kill 2 barbs', 'kill 4 barbs', 'kill 6 barbs', 'clear barb camp'... This way the tooltips would have not changed if the game was reloaded, but the conditions themselves would.

I actually like the idea of removing tooltips about eureka's. Basically getting a surprise "hey you got this eureka" popup when you unlock it. Would love playing with that, I think. Can you make a version that has it?

This would require a tweak to the UI that displays tech/civic trees. I would have to check how it works exactly.
If you want to test it, assuming it's doable, I need to know also if you use CQUI since it has it's own version of the trees.

I don't use CQUI, no. I feel like I am the only one on this site that doesn't want to bomb Firaxis because of the UI.

And yeah, I'd be fine testing it, though my time to play civ 6 varies a lot. But I don't think testing would be that hard, as I suppose playing through the ancient era would be enough.

Oh, one thing, if/when TCS' Omnibus Mod updates, I think I'll start using that one again, and it has a different tech tree. He seems to not be here recently though, so it might be a while. And maybe I'd just add things to your mod for his additional techs.

@Leyrann Ok, pls find attached 2 files (CivicsTree.lua and TechTree.lua) that you need to copy into game's files manually. You need to put them into <your_steam_directory>\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\UI\Screens. I suggest you make backup copies of the 2 original files.
I just did it quick&dirty, as an experiment, but it's working as expected. You will not see what triggers a boost until you actually boost it. Then a normal info will pop saying what you did, etc. After the boost you will see this info also in the trees. So, if you run Real Eurekas with this, the boosts will be a mystery for you :) Let me know how it plays, how does it feel especially after getting used to using eurekas.

Attachments

• hideboosts.zip
    34.9 KB · Views: 275
I'll use them for my next game.

Looking forward to it already.

This might actually be the one thing I needed for this game to not get super stale, static eurikas add a lot of frustration alongside rng,

like on one hand getting screwed for wonders/quarry/farm can set you behind to a very annoying extent
on another hand you can more or less optimize moves for a best possible orders for everything, which turns the game from interesting, to just a time sink where something inevitably goes wrong or the game is won anyway

This is a great idea, I really like. Hopefully a way to save data between instances comes along soon.

@Leyrann Ok, pls find attached 2 files (CivicsTree.lua and TechTree.lua) that you need to copy into game's files manually. You need to put them into <your_steam_directory>\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\UI\Screens. I suggest you make backup copies of the 2 original files.
I just did it quick&dirty, as an experiment, but it's working as expected. You will not see what triggers a boost until you actually boost it. Then a normal info will pop saying what you did, etc. After the boost you will see this info also in the trees. So, if you run Real Eurekas with this, the boosts will be a mystery for you :) Let me know how it plays, how does it feel especially after getting used to using eurekas.
I replaced both files after making a back-up yet I still see what the triggers are.

No, I am using NQUI though. Strange thing is that I cannot find the NQUI directory in my Mod folder... So long for steam installations :p.

Started a game with the invisible boosts, but they actually do show up in the tracker. So when you select the techs/civics, you can see the boosts in the top left corner of the screen.

EDIT: They are also visible at the left of the screen when you're asked to select a new tech or civic to research. Only when you actually open the tree they are invisible.

EDIT2: Decided to start a new game with just your "normal" mod (not the invisible part), got the boost for archery (kill 2 barbarians) after killing just one barbarian. Did also take a camp though, so I suppose that could be part of it.

EDIT3: It also appears that I got the boost for Early Empire (train a Settler) immediately upon game start. I certainly didn't get any goody huts yet, nor did I train one. I should probably note that I'm playing with the patch, some things might be broken because of that.

EDIT4: (lets just say that's better than five posts in a row) I also noticed that Celestial Navigation has a possible boost "Recruit a Great Admiral". However, you can't earn Great Admiral points until you have a Harbor, which is unlocked at Celestial Navigation. Similar but weaker for Curreny: You need 2 trade routes, but excluding a Harbor or Persia's unique ability, you can't have more than one trade route until you unlock Currency.

EDIT5: Related to edit 2, I got the boost for Bronze Working (kill 5 barbarians) after killing only two barbarians. Maybe it's counting all the possible boosts instead of just the one showing?

Last edited:
Reading Leyrann's post I'm glad it isn't something I overlooked :p.

Top Bottom