Realpolitik III: The Epic of War

Great_Scott

aka Cottus Arci

For some time, I've been undecided as to whether or not to keep RP going past this current game.

I feel with the current system, it's obviously not engaging enough to warrant a large amount of players required to make the game interesting.

I felt, for RP to truly work, we'd need a large amount of Civs involved... 4 Civs to me is just far too limited in the possibilities for alliances and wars. Plus the whole espionage system in RP1 created problems, and I've felt RP2 certainly missing that.

I've had some other, secondary ideas kicking around for a while... and I believe I've pretty much found a way to make it all work.

And so I'm proposing a massive overhaul of Realpolitik for RP3.

Introduction
To create a Civ 4 PTBS platform that can put more emphasis on Empire Building & Diplomacy, while at the same time, puts more emphasis on the battlefield, where fortunes of Civs hang in the balance.

A new platform that draws upon concepts that made other classic turn-based Strategy games great, like Total War & Risk/Diplomacy.

The Changes
Warlords may have created a greater emphasis on the battlefield in Civ, but RP3 is going to go one big step further.

Combining elements of turn-based strategy classics Total War & Risk/Diplomacy, the actual Empire building & military side of Civ will be separated.

Yes... separated.

How is this done? Simple.

All Civs playing the game will simply play the standard, turn-based Civ IV Warlords via PTBS, where they can build settlers, workers, improvements & wonders.

However, Civs will only be able to generate a particular number of military units... purely for the purpose of maintaining happiness in their cities (and possibly warding off barbarians, if they are included).

A comprehensive diplomacy system, using the benefits of forums, will be in place, monitoring at all times the status of the Civs, in terms of who's at war, who's at peace... alliances, treaties and so forth.

Through this system, there will be rules also in place for how a Civ can declare war on another. When war is declared, in a style likened to Risk/Diplomacy, the warring nations will generate massives armies to do battles.

Historically & realistically, I think this also makes sense, as most wars were fought with volunteers, and many Civs didn't have massive armies constantly on standby.

So how can these Civs with a handful of units suddenly have scores of units ready for battle in a turns notice?

The game will feature a "Player 0", sort of like a God Mode player.... where 100's of units of each type will be stored. A copy of an air-based transport unit will be created, which will have an insanely high movement and transport capacity. So when war breaks out, these transport units will carry the required military units to their destinations... and gifted to the warring Civilisations.

Simplified. . .
  • A scenario is created and 1 Civ is dedicated to the Game Admin. This Game Admin will have scores of units of every kind.
  • Civs will play the PTBS per normal, but no military unit production beyond a number of defensive units per city is allowed.
  • Through a unique & comprehensive diplomacy system via the StrateGamer.com forums, players will engage into war when required.
  • Through a calculation of wonders, improvements, GNP, culture, population & score, the Game Admin will transport these an appropriate amount of units to each warring Civ.
Key Benefits of RP3
  • The 'traditional' turn based game will be solely dedicated to Empire building. You'll have to be fully immersed in the world your Empire resides in.
  • The Diplomacy itself, again will benefit, and the forum section will look more like a giant United Nations, and this will add to the atmosphere of the game.
  • The wars themselves will be sophisticated. A balanced system will be in place where, while 'better' Civs will have an advantage... the sheer number of units will be massive available to each side. Expect battles more like Total War or Age Empires!
What now ?
RP2 is still running, but I'm hoping to get plenty of interest in this game so we're ready for RP3 right off the back of RP2. Let me know if you like this idea and if you're interested or not... also feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Player List

Game Admin: Great Scott
Player 1: Spike
Player 2: Elucidus
Player 3: thefais
Player 4: portuga
Player 5:
Player 6:
Player 7:
Player 8:
Player 9:
Player 10:
Player 11:
Player 12:
Player 13:
Player 14:
Player 15:
Player 16:
Player 17:
Player 18:

*Note: Player limit may be increased if demand is high.

Sounds interesting. I'm in.

I suggest no Barbs, since sometimes they'll get overwhelming if you only have a certain number of units per city... AND you won't be able to fog bust much. Of course, that could be part of the difficulty.

Barbarians will be discussed once the core group of players get involved. Things are moving slower than I thought, but the forums usually do this time of year....

Time commitment would be just like your normal PTBS... most I know of run of a 24 hour timer. Of course this hour rate can be extended (or shortened) if need be too using a utility program.

Update: Having major connection problems with RP2, been busy looking into my network setup as something is failing there.

Game is obviously still looking for new players, let us know if you're interested!

Sorry if I missed it, but couldn't find it explicited anywhere, is it Warlords or v1.61 ?

If the former is the case, I can't join for now, but maybe I'll be getting Warlords before the game begins.

It is going to be played using Warlords. But will probably take awhile for everything to get underway. So you should have time to obtain the expansion.

Top Bottom