Reccomendations For Civ 5 Map With Good Naval Warfare

ZeroEn96

Chieftain
Really love the aspect of naval warfare. I have a modified version of small continents plus that does a really good job with the island chains. As well as Planet Simulator, but those generated seem to be more continent heavy to me, may require more fiddling.

Oceania and Archipelago have been fun, but when everyone is on small islands it can be a bit weird and obviously really weakens some of the AI.

I have found that in my opinion larger map sizes allow for more balance of the 2, because obviously there will be a significantly larger amount of water in a larger map, as well as a still very reasonable amount of land for a good balance. I would almost say that what I am looking for is a map where I can have basically a large island to myself. Allowing me to focus PRIMARILY on Naval warfare, but still requiring land warfare, and not hard punishing civs that are not optimized for naval.

With that in mind,

Any good map suggestions with a good balance between Land and Naval exploration/combat?

Would a TSL map with Carthage, England, or Denmark maybe provide some of what im seeking?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried Small Continents Plus? I have been recently playing some games on this map, and I notice that the landmasses are not that large (sometimes you are alone in a 3-4 city island). The game is slower than Continents because the terrain is weaker but it provides a decent land/sea ratio.

+1 to @claudiupb’s suggestion. I also like Small Continents Plus. Re-reading, I see you have tried (and modified) the script. So maybe just re-roll if you do not have your starting continent to yourself?

Last edited:
Archipelago with a low ocean can provide what you are looking for although there is still some randomness with map generation.

I read in a post somewhere that a certain combo generates land masses like Civ 2 had, and since that's my favorite civ I wanted to give it a try. Alas I've forgotten what the combo is but it sounds like what you might want. I used naval warfare a lot in 2. It was great fun when the AI would throw like 10,000 cruise missles at your battleship covered by an Aegis cruiser.

It's one of the island maps plus low sea I believe. Maybe someone knows.

England is my favorite Naval Civ if I'm playing domination. Many times I can conquer cities using just Ship of the Line frigates and privateers. I don't even have send in land troops if the city is coastal. :)

Top Bottom