[BNW] Regarding unhappiness from population

JaeSunRyoo

Chieftain
Hi all, I have a rather frustrating issue regarding unhappiness from population. If I posted in the wrong section, please move the thread accordingly, apologies in advance.

I've played Civ 5 on and off for a few years now, and I've had a good old dive into several mods. However, I've been noticing in recent games that whilst there's unhappiness generated from existing cities under my control as well as occupation penalties, there's no unhappiness being generated from pops under my rule, which leads to some rather outlandishly unbalanced games with happiness levels reaching 300 and more, in some cases.

I've disabled all my mods and the problem still persists. I don't know if I've potentially edited a line that governs whether or not population gives unhappiness (and a value with it), but I've checked through all three GlobalDefines xml files and all of them come up with this:

</Row>
<Row Name="UNHAPPINESS_PER_POPULATION">
<Value>1</Value>
</Row>

I've also searched for anything similar/relevant, and come up with https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/trying-to-change-the-unhappiness-values.390086/ but it unfortunately doesn't help. I've tried changing around the numbers in the value slots to see if there's any change, but nothing changes.

Is there something that I'm missing or don't understand? Do I need to try reinstalling my game? I didn't have mods enabled to test for this and yet there was still no unhappiness generated from population.

Any help or directives would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jae

Moderator Action: Moved question to the main customization forum. - Recursive

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need to re-install your game, you can get Steam to verify it. From the Steam icon in the system tray, right-click and select "Library". The Steam app will pop-up, right-click Civ V and select Properties. Click on "Local FIles", then "Verify integrity of game files..." Steam will then check if anything has been changed and just re-install those files.

You don't need to re-install your game, you can get Steam to verify it. From the Steam icon in the system tray, right-click and select "Library". The Steam app will pop-up, right-click Civ V and select Properties. Click on "Local FIles", then "Verify integrity of game files..." Steam will then check if anything has been changed and just re-install those files.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried this, but to no avail. Unsubbed from all mods, nothing. I'm probably going to end up doing a manual re-install and see if that works.

I'd have thought that verifying files would have worked, but the population unhappiness still remains at zero.

Are you using any mods that affect happiness, like emigration?

Nope. There WAS a mod that I had before early on for new city foundation penalties (i.e. removing them, including new city-induced unhappiness), but nothing directly affecting population. I've checked for the mods as well manually for anything that could potentially mess with the GlobalDefines file.

If you ever downloaded one of those "fake DLC" mods where the instructions to use the mod is to copy it into the game's DLC folder, no amount of Steam File Integrity checks or Game Reinstalls will cure the issue. Steam will not get rid of the fake DLC mod, nor will running the uninstall utility to remove the game from your computer because the fake DLC is not part of the game and the removal of all files in the game's folder systems will almost certainly fail for the content of that fake DLC.

If you ever downloaded one of those "fake DLC" mods where the instructions to use the mod is to copy it into the game's DLC folder, no amount of Steam File Integrity checks or Game Reinstalls will cure the issue. Steam will not get rid of the fake DLC mod, nor will running the uninstall utility to remove the game from your computer because the fake DLC is not part of the game and the removal of all files in the game's folder systems will almost certainly fail for the content of that fake DLC.

I've never heard of the "fake DLC" mods you've referred to, and I don't recall downloading that sort of thing, if ever.
I've gone into the DLC files and checked the GlobalDefines from both Expansions (G/K and BNW), but the population-generated unhappiness line remains the same.

Maybe it's something to do with debug? I honestly don't know, might as well go ahead with reinstall today...

So, update: I ended up reinstalling the game from scratch.

Well, let me tell you - it ended up being a waste of time. Verifying and complete re-install didn't change.

I swore that I had looked through each and every one of my 50 mods thoroughly. Well, I was wrong.

I finally managed to narrow the problematic mod down to a Prehistoric era mod, which meddled with pop happiness (and defines, in that aspect). It was just labelled as "Defines".

I feel like I climbed over a mountain to get to my destination when I could have just gone through the tunnel so conveniently placed there. Oh well. Thanks to all that gave suggestions and help, much appreciated.

Top Bottom