[Religion and Revolution]: General Questions and Discussions

It always fun when I discover it when I open a ruins and get a map that exposes far enough out into the sea.

Is there any reason not to give the natives half the cost when they're selling mercenaries?

I seem to recall that at one point Native Slaves could promote to Converted Natives, much as Petty Criminals and Indentured Servants can promote to Free Colonists. Was that ever a thing, and if so, why was it removed?

Why do the AI's build so many fricken coastal ships?

I seem to recall that at one point Native Slaves could promote to Converted Natives, much as Petty Criminals and Indentured Servants can promote to Free Colonists. Was that ever a thing, and if so, why was it removed?
From what I've experenced, African or native slaves are doomed to be slaves 'till the end of the game. Converted natives only come from missions in native villages.

I find that kind of crap to tell the truth. I've proposed before to at least allow slaves to become freedmen (who would behave gameplay-wise like indentured servants) from learning by doing, but Ray didn't like that idea, fearing it would be abused by the player.

Why do the AI's build so many fricken coastal ships?
It's probably a balance issue. I think the idea was to allow the AI to colonize nearby islands as it didn't do it before coastal ships were implemented.

Ray didn't like that idea
When I first showed up, Ray had the idea that RaR was in the final stage and was only for bugfixing and balancing, not new features. In the end RaR did get some new stuff, but getting Ray's approval was rather difficult.

I don't know the details about Ray's rejection of freeing slaves, but the implementation could easily leave room for abuse. Think civ2. The wonder Leonardo's workshop upgrades obsolete units to the new replacement units for free. One of those upgrades are warriors to musketeers. In other words if you stockpile warriors just before inventing gunpowder, you get musketeers for 10 production each. It kind of feels like an instant army cheat.

Now the biggest problem is: who should look into a fair implementation? RaR development doesn't have the modding manhours that it once did. Personally I'm mainly focused on the xml editor and then Medieval Conquest. While I haven't abandoned RaR, I have had to decide to make it bugfixing only. It's not a dislike for RaR, but rather facing reality and admitting that I don't have unlimited time for modding and can't do every single task that I want to do.

When I first showed up, Ray had the idea that RaR was in the final stage and was only for bugfixing and balancing, not new features. In the end RaR did get some new stuff, but getting Ray's approval was rather difficult.

I don't know the details about Ray's rejection of freeing slaves, but the implementation could easily leave room for abuse. Think civ2. The wonder Leonardo's workshop upgrades obsolete units to the new replacement units for free. One of those upgrades are warriors to musketeers. In other words if you stockpile warriors just before inventing gunpowder, you get musketeers for 10 production each. It kind of feels like an instant army cheat.

Now the biggest problem is: who should look into a fair implementation? RaR development doesn't have the modding manhours that it once did. Personally I'm mainly focused on the xml editor and then Medieval Conquest. While I haven't abandoned RaR, I have had to decide to make it bugfixing only. It's not a dislike for RaR, but rather facing reality and admitting that I don't have unlimited time for modding and can't do every single task that I want to do.
I agree entirely, that's why I haven't insisted. :)

Especially that slavery is really not the core of what makes Civ4Col enjoyable (I would add, fortunately). It's more about growing a sustainable and self-sufficient economy, and RAR does that in a very satisfying way. :goodjob:

Top Bottom