Religions

snoochems

Prince
Guys, my last few games i've noticed how much competition there is with religion.

It occurred to me that that there are more religions now. It used to be no more than half the number of civs. My last two games have exceeded this. These have been on Prince and Emperor difficulties respectively. No mods, or anything.

And I swear the AI get obscene faith bonus's as they just swamp you with missionary's and great prophets, without any faith monuments or wonders.

Has something changed, or is this a bug?

I would really like to see the no# of religions in a game option. I would reduce it to less 1/3 to 1/4 of no# civs.

Guys, my last few games i've noticed how much competition there is with religion.

It occurred to me that that there are more religions now. It used to be no more than half the number of civs. My last two games have exceeded this. These have been on Prince and Emperor difficulties respectively. No mods, or anything.

And I swear the AI get obscene faith bonus's as they just swamp you with missionary's and great prophets, without any faith monuments or wonders.

Has something changed, or is this a bug?

I would really like to see the no# of religions in a game option. I would reduce it to less 1/3 to 1/4 of no# civs.

AI became insanely aggressive in spreading its religion. Religious AI also likes to build Borobodur which gives 3 missionaries.

Number of Religions has not changed. 7 Huge map 6 large map 5 standard map 4 small map and 3 on tiny map. May be off on tiny, I have never played any map smaller than large. Does not matter how many civs are on each map. You can set 22 civs on a huge map and only 7 relgions may be founded.

The AI, at least in my games goes nuts for religion. Does not even matter if you leave Ethiopia, Celts and Byzantium out of your games. They will go for them until they are none left to found. And they are very very aggressive in spreading it now. Quite awesome imho. We have a 4 way fight on my current map. The Shohone are slowly eating us other 3 out.

I swear the number of religions possible was originally half the number of civs.

So its not a bug. Might look for a mod to reduce the number of religions.

I swear the number of religions possible was originally half the number of civs.

So its not a bug. Might look for a mod to reduce the number of religions.

The number of NAMED religions has increased, but not the number of POSSIBLE RELIGIONS.

In other words they added Protestant, Catholic and Orthodox and removed Christian. They did this for historical flavour, since almost every Civ prior to BNW was flagged as being Christian, with a handful of Islamic ones and most of the others having a single proponent, or none at all. BNW split the Christian faith into 3 parts, and helped flesh out the numbers in some of the others ie IIRC Assyrian = Zoroaster, Morocco=Islamic, Indonesian=Hindu (yes I know modern times would make it Islamic, but the leader is not a modern one and I am assuming that's where the link comes from).

It'd be nice to see more sects eventually. The AI, at least in my experience, has been overall more aggressive in spreading their religion but it varies from civ to civ. The Aztecs are bloody zealots...

To be honest, religion is one of the things that has disappointed me in CiV. I like the setup (Pantheon - Founding - Enhancing) and the generation of :c5faith:, but I dislike that each Civ benefits from a single religion that it founds. It emphasizes the necessity (or at least increases the need for) founding and developing a religion.

Don't get me wrong, I love the benefits, but each Civ is dedicated to spreading its own religion if it founds one. I feel like :c5faith: is the least historically accurate thing about the game.

I would like for (at least in the later game) a Secular tide to sweep through to challenge civs like the Celts, Byzantines, Ethiopians etc. and an added benefit for being a multifaith society (+ :c5culture:, +:c5happy:, + :c5trade:, + Tourism, etc.)

To be honest, religion is one of the things that has disappointed me in CiV. I like the setup (Pantheon - Founding - Enhancing) and the generation of :c5faith:, but I dislike that each Civ benefits from a single religion that it founds. It emphasizes the necessity (or at least increases the need for) founding and developing a religion.

Don't get me wrong, I love the benefits, but each Civ is dedicated to spreading its own religion if it founds one. I feel like :c5faith: is the least historically accurate thing about the game.

I would like for (at least in the later game) a Secular tide to sweep through to challenge civs like the Celts, Byzantines, Ethiopians etc. and an added benefit for being a multifaith society (+ :c5culture:, +:c5happy:, + :c5trade:, + Tourism, etc.)

Nice in theory, but not very plausible IMO, unless you mean modern day. Secularism is a relatively modern "ideology", developing out of the Protestant reformation and the uptake of Humanism during the last half of the last Millenium. It has been a gradual consequence of many factors/events over hundreds of years and still today is far from the dominant "belief system".

I guess to extent it is modelled by the waning of Religion, in terms of its power, from the Industrial era up. Although the new reformation beliefs have certainly increased its staying power.

FYI - RE : Multiple Faiths : I thought Piety has something of that nature with regard to bonus' hooked to multiple faiths, as one of the later policy choices. Also Indonesia (IIRC) has a bonus hooked to having many religions.

Nice in theory, but not very plausible IMO, unless you mean modern day. Secularism is a relatively modern "ideology", developing out of the Protestant reformation and the uptake of Humanism during the last half of the last Millenium. It has been a gradual consequence of many factors/events over hundreds of years and still today is far from the dominant "belief system".

I guess to extent it is modelled by the waning of Religion, in terms of its power, from the Industrial era up. Although the new reformation beliefs have certainly increased its staying power.

FYI - RE : Multiple Faiths : I thought Piety has something of that nature with regard to bonus' hooked to multiple faiths, as one of the later policy choices. Also Indonesia (IIRC) has a bonus hooked to having many religions.

Tolerence in the peity tree.

Actually secularism does sweep in, in a way. I've noticed that without much interference, religious game tends to converge to create cities with a few followers of each religion - but with no clear majority, so no religious bonuses. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but it seems very cool to me.

Top Bottom