Reply to the Nonsense in the Tavern

St_Leo

Chieftain
[CONFUSED] I don't understand why every time when people talk about aliens, they always think aliens have superior technology than humans.  Why don't they relate aliens with Stone Age? Are we ashamed of ourselves???

Why don't they relate with alien lifeforms that are not in the same niche as the humans for that matter?

[CONFUSED] Why do some people fear the depletion of fossil fuels? There are plenty of flammable substances around, such as alcohol.  Don't we sometimes use alcohol as a fuel in science laboratory?

Methanol-fueled cars are possible, but as always petroleum monopolies buy the patents for anything that threatens them.

[LEARN A LESSON?] There is a scene in Star Trek Voyager...A Borg alien despised human because the human race lacks unity, and is separated by political, religious, and ethnic barriers...and can not match alien races including the BORG ("We are Borg!", she said arrogantly).

What I dislike most about the Borg on Star Trek is that they do not match any of the adjectives used to describe them. They are not efficient, they are slow to adapt, and they don't really assimilate ships.

[PROPHESY] Territorial dispute is usually a cause of war.  While the division of earth's surface is mostly settled, the new territorial disputes involve space colonies. Sometimes a nation claims an entire planet as its property simply because it arrived there first. This creates hatred and tension between nations, and is a main factor that leads to war in the future, after 2050 AD. 

I predict that the UN will annihilate any nation that claims a planet. Of course, if the matters remain as they are now, they wouldn't touch the US if it did that. Anyway, what we should be really worried about is actually getting a colony on Mars, a necessity that is threatened by the foolish belief that we should actually solve all of our existing problems before doing anything in space.

[PROPHESY] Surprisingly, the cure for AIDS involves a few herbal plants that people already know.  This inexpensive treatment is affordable for everyone.  People hope that this dreadful disease will eventually vanish from earth.  However AIDS becomes even more rampant after the discovery, largely due to the deteriorating morality among human populations.

Are you nuts?

A more deadly disease than AIDS will show its destructive power soon years after the discovery, and this is seen by some people as a good thing since it could restore human's morality...

Are you nuts? A deadlier disease is a possibility, but generally diseases much deadlier than AIDS kill their hosts before being transmitted. Oh, and the only way a deadly disease can restore "morality" is by inspiring a new cult-turned-religion to kill everyone other than themselves.

[PROPHESY] Scientists will exploit the huge storage of floating ions in the atmosphere for military purposes.  With only a small amount of activation energy, a powerful lightning can be started at any point.  It is used to destroy a nuclear missile high in the sky, thus fulfilling the dream of "Star War".  The ability to control the exact location of action for this lightning allows it to be used as a precise assassination weapon.  The extensive usage of this human-controlled lightning, however, results in disastrous atmospheric unbalance and changes earth's climate and its ecosystem enormously...

{COUNTER-PROPHECY} Any usage of that device will result in a global treaty banning it and retaliation against agressors by everyone.

[IMPOSSIBLE!] It is true that science fictions can contribute to humans' scientific progress by encouraging the extensive use of imagination. It is also true that many things previously existed in science fictions eventually became reality. I myself is a proponent of science fiction. However, it is important for us to distinguish between what's possible and what's not from all those fictional ideas.

You mean impossible like talking at a distance without wires?

A good example is the 'time travel' or 'go back in time', or 'time machine', etc. Numerous books and movies have used this concept. My instinct tells me that this 'time travel' phenomenon can never become reality. Time, to me, is irreversible. And time will prove my prophesy! Books and movies, please stop using this concept of "time travel" again, for it's impossible to achieve.

Accelerated travel into the future is very possible (see time dilation; travel at near-relativistic speeds), but going backwards is a tougher nut to crack. Still, I wouldn't write it off just yet.

Another impossible concept frequently appear on science fiction books or movies is the 'instant transport' idea. A person standing inside a spaceship could be transported/fadeout/ disappeared/teleported and arrives at another distant spaceship or location instantly. I often wonder how could the concrete body passes through the spaceship's wall/hull, the only way for such "miracle" to happen is by disintegrating the body into sub-atomic particles that could pass through the spaceship. I would rather be a more conservative individual than a person lost in these obvious impossibilities...

Besides impractical methods such as mini-wormholes, teleportation is quite possible on the quantum level and will be used in computing in this century.

[EXTRAPOLATION]

I call your extrapolation "bad puns".

------------------
St. Leo
http://www.sidgames.com/hosted/ziggurat/

yes, quantum physics are quite interesting, ive read timeline, and belive transportation of information is a definite possibility! there are several diseases more deadly thean aids, anyway, even more deadly std's.

Top Bottom