Request:

Emperor2

Capitalist Missionary
Could someone design a custom Civ creator or give me instructions on how to? Thanks much.:)

Sub-forums are for completed files only; this should go in Main C&C. A mod will probably move it.

Do you want to use custom graphical assets for your custom civ? Were you wanting to *create* custom graphical assets for your custom civ? "Custom Civ" could mean a lot of things, so it will help to say which aspects you'd like to create.

Ignoring the above, you can probably accomplish what you want with XML editing.

Well, pretty much everything could probably be done with XML editing... I know this is a stupid question, but I am not very expe... wait... I'm not at all experienced with programming, etc., so How do you get to the XML files to change them? Sorry if this is wasting your time, but I would like to know.

Moderator Action: Thread moved

If you google "XML Marker" you'll find a free XML editing tool. You can then open any of the XML files in the XML folder and edit them with this.

Make copies first.

You can actually edit files in notepad or notepad-like programs if it comes down to it. I use an open source program called Notepad++, personally.

What you'll want to do is create a new folder under "Mods" and set up the file structure for the XML documents you want to change, which will be mostly in the folder Assets/XML/Civilizations (you may wish to copy and paste this entire folder from your Civ4 or warlords directory). If you want to add Unique Units and Buildings, you will need to add modified versions of those files as well, but I recommend just sticking with adding the new Civ and Leaderhead first.

Take a look at the structure of the text in Civ4CivilizationInfos and Civ4Leaderheadinfos, make a copy of the text for an existing civilization and paste it in-file, then edit that. Note that you will need to play with some XML in the "Text" folder as well to avoid some XML errors on load (for the civilopedia entries and text output for your new custom civ).

You can actually edit files in notepad or notepad-like programs if it comes down to it. I use an open source program called Notepad++, personally.

What you'll want to do is create a new folder under "Mods" and set up the file structure for the XML documents you want to change, which will be mostly in the folder Assets/XML/Civilizations (you may wish to copy and paste this entire folder from your Civ4 or warlords directory). If you want to add Unique Units and Buildings, you will need to add modified versions of those files as well, but I recommend just sticking with adding the new Civ and Leaderhead first.

Take a look at the structure of the text in Civ4CivilizationInfos and Civ4Leaderheadinfos, make a copy of the text for an existing civilization and paste it in-file, then edit that. Note that you will need to play with some XML in the "Text" folder as well to avoid some XML errors on load (for the civilopedia entries and text output for your new custom civ).

Okay, with a standard Notebook program (couldn't find Notebook++), how do you set up the file structure for the XML documents? What does that mean?

I may have misspoken; I was telling you which XML files to copy into your mod and where to put them. You don't need a program for that part. You should have a folder in mods (Civilization 4/mods, or Civilization 4/Warlords/mods) named whatever you'd like, and inside that folder you need to mimic the file structure you see when you look in the folder for Civilization 4: for XML, you will want a folder called Assets, and another folder inside that called XML.
In the XML folder for Civ 4, there are a lot of sub-folders for the various aspects of the game (Buildings, Units, etc.); you will mainly be interested in the Civilizations folder.

BIG problem. I cannot find my XML documents. There are a bunch of empty folders though. My Dad said They may not be loaded. If so, how do I load them?

So, in (assuming you used the default directory when installing the game):

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\XML

...there aren't any files at all? If that's the case, I'm not sure what to tell you. Maybe another modder knows more about this.

Ehehhe, Found It.

Okay, So I edited the provided XML files (civs, civ, traits and leaderheads), put them in a notepad file in the Warlords mods. But when I load the mod (which does appear on the advanced menu), My civ doesn't come up. What is the problem?

If your trying to make a new civ I recommend that you try using the tutorial found
Here.

Top Bottom