Revision/Learning Tips

BCLG100

Music Master
Well it's exam season worldwide now (though quite a few uni exams have finished over here).

As some of you may know i'm completing a law course, this has left me with about 2000 cases to memorise, ~2500 A4 pages to learn verbatim and a combined total of about 90 hours of lectures. All this for 7, 3 hour exams inside 9 days beginning in a week.

So it got me thinking that it wouldn't hurt to ask if you guys had any tips for learning/remembering this stuff. I figure any advice used here can be passed on to to everyone else also sitting exams.

(and constitutes the least demanded thread request in what OT needs; advice!)

This may be highly dependent on the person. But I'll give a way that works for me.

I summarize all my notes and readings into a highly condensed, handwritten form. The act of writing and processing the information ensures for maximum pickup of all the information. And the notes you produce are wonderful for reinforcing what you learned by skimming through them.

Shouldn't you have revision/learning pretty much down pat by now?

Well yeah but any advice is good advice. Just seeing if anyone had any novel forms and also by writing this thread i am simulatenously avoiding revision! :mischief:

I've finished all my exams, but I find these useful:

-have some sugar in you when you revise, and some calcium too. I find cheap banana milk works well
-don't work at home. Go to a library or something.
-Set out your work hours; I never revise after 7pm, very rarely after 5pm. I start between 12 and 1, but during those hours, I dedicate myself, and in 6 hours, I can do the amount of work it would take others between one and two days.
-Take a break and smoke a cig, check facebook, or something every hour, or, even better, after every exam paper you complete. Don't get disctracted by it though.
-Ignore other people. It's about you.
-Go to the pub and have a pint once you've finished. It's nice to treat yourself after a constructive day.

This was my final year, and I actually ended up revising in my local a lot. It's quite nice, I'd find a nice corner on the bar, and work with a pint of lager. Since the staff and the regulars know me, they leave me to my own devices, and don't hassle me to buy more or drink up. I actually learned more in the pub this year than on campus.

Should also mention trying to think about how what you studied applies to your daily life. I like envisioning the mechanics of the GLUT4 receptor and its interactions with insulin while drinking a soda.

Also, taking breaks is VERY important.

Why do you people call it "revising" anyway? Just curious about the etymology and the history of usage.

In theory in revising what I have already learnt. In practice i am learning for the first time stuff i should have learnt months ago.

Yeah, technically, "revision" should be called "learning" ^^

I know what you mean. Sometimes I go to lecture just to jot down stuff not already on the printable notes.

But anyway, "reviewing" seems a more apt description, IMO.

I know what you mean. Sometimes I go to lecture just to jot down stuff not already on the printable notes.

Going through my lecture notes generally makes me weep; expressions such as 'WTF (not in acronym) is going on' 'I have no idea what this means' pictures of random things and then constant games of tic-tac-toe

You go to lecture?

Er, yes. Need to fill in the notes. :p

Are you a visual or auditory learner? I'm visual so when there's something I need to remember I create a highly colorful story, symbols, diagrams (IE E-S on top and S-A bottom means E and S are the action and S and A are the case that are similar) and maybe assign some really important things to body parts in a cartoonish way. It becomes even stranger when these events appear in dreams years after you've graduated. :)

Going through my lecture notes generally makes me weep; expressions such as 'WTF (not in acronym) is going on' 'I have no idea what this means' pictures of random things and then constant games of tic-tac-toe

a few of my lecture notes are basically just abusing the lecturer

Are you a visual or auditory learner? I'm visual so when there's something I need to remember I create a highly colorful story, symbols, diagrams (IE E-S on top and S-A bottom means E and S are the action and S and A are the case that are similar) and maybe assign some really important things to body parts in a cartoonish way. It becomes even stranger when these events appear in dreams years after you've graduated. :)

:lol:

Both really, though recently i've taken to writing on my body important things in the hope that it'll literally sink in but also everytime i glance down i have it there and wonder 'wtf is that about' and then proceed to remember! My left hand is fairly stained now.

I summarize all my notes and readings into a highly condensed, handwritten form. The act of writing and processing the information ensures for maximum pickup of all the information. And the notes you produce are wonderful for reinforcing what you learned by skimming through them.

yes times 10. it will help you if you have written it down by hand. oddly enough this even works better if you have shoddy penmanship. you'll know that you wrote it. you know that you have struggled to read that bit some 15ish times and you'll know where that bit is. page 3 right below the coffee stain.

you will try to remember one bit and your mind just goes "that shoddy bit I wrote which was not quite correct, which I remebered every time I read that pile of papers, but it was two pages further on somewhere in the lower half. crossed something out there... it was....."

memory does not work that way for everybody but for me this was how I aced highschool. taking detailed handwritten notes during class helps as well (especially if you are later able to quote the teach word by word), bit late for that for you I guess. same principle though. you processed that information once, revisited some weeks later and you might not grasp or be able to read all of it. lots of neurons firing. then you condense it and the next day you try and make sense of it.

your end goal is to have one page, very tightly written, of info. it does not matter how in-depth your course is. you want one page of info. imagine trying to write a cheat-sheet which can only be one page. you will not use this as a cheat-sheet but you will prepare it that way. one page, easily hidden somewhere and chock-full of information. you have to reduce the information you need more and more in order to put it all on that one cheat-sheet. by writing that cheat-sheet you will want to include the bits you do not know yet. the next draft you will ommit some of those bits. next draft you might write one piece back in which you constantly forget, if only by mentioning one word and putting a lot of exclamation marks next to it.

get that one sheet of paper you would want as a means to cheat. spend the last week just studying that one piece of paper (and rechecking bits you don't quite know by heart in your notes or books, make annotations to your one sheet of paper). try to take note of blotches on the paper, tears, stains, things you have crossed out. noting where you are not 100% correct is a blast because everytime you read that bit you will go "yes, but the thing is....." and you will be aware of the better version. every single time.

it is the easy version of that organizing your brain into compartments thing for people with a brain that tends to work on visual memory.

I don't really study, I've never had to. Usually my "studying" is just doing the work, as my memory is sufficient such that reading through something once is generally enough to have it down pat.

YMMV though :(.

Good luck with your exams, mate!

The bad news is that if it's that much information, you pretty much probably should have known it by now. D:

Good luck, though!

your end goal is to have one page, very tightly written, of info. it does not matter how in-depth your course is. you want one page of info. imagine trying to write a cheat-sheet which can only be one page. you will not use this as a cheat-sheet but you will prepare it that way. one page, easily hidden somewhere and chock-full of information. you have to reduce the information you need more and more in order to put it all on that one cheat-sheet. by writing that cheat-sheet you will want to include the bits you do not know yet. the next draft you will ommit some of those bits. next draft you might write one piece back in which you constantly forget, if only by mentioning one word and putting a lot of exclamation marks next to it.

Seems too restrictive. I do a sheet of lined paper (2 pages) for one chapter, typically.

Top Bottom