Revolution or CivIV?

gtkipp

Chieftain
I got interested in civilization after seeing some videos of revolution. However, I've gathered that IV is a little more serious and generally a fuller experience, so I need some help deciding whether to get Civ on my Xbox or Mac.

I realize that as a new player, Revolution would be easier for me to pick up, but I generally hate using a controller in an RTS. Also, I could see myself getting really into it, as I did with WC3.

Any advice would be good. And if this is in the wrong forum, please redirect haha.

First off, Civ isn't an RTS. It's a 4x turn-based strategy game.

With that out of the way, I would say you download the demo for both Civ IV and for Revolution.

No amount of us telling you about the games will supplement actually playing the games for yourself.

They offer similar yet at the same time different gameplay. Either way, you should check them out because you're missing out!

PS Using the controller to manipulate things in Civ Revolution gets very easy after just a bit of getting used to

Yeah I just downloaded both of the demos and checked them out. The fact that you don't need twitch-quick reflexes like WC means I can deal with a controller ;)

I'm leaning towards Revolution right now.

Just be aware that Civ IV takes time to get into. It is indeed the deeper experience.

It isn't that Revolution isn't deep; just know that Civ IV is deeper (more strategic options, better AI, more scenarios, etc.)

I love Civ IV but I can't play it anymore... the end game is tedious, takes way too long, and is unsuspenseful. Revolution fixes that, but does indeed lack some of the depth of Civ IV.

Never had that problem myself. It really is a preference thing. I like both Civ IV and Revolution.

I prefer the depth that civ 4 offers, as well as the superior AI.

However, having civ on the go (via the DS) is really nice too.

I like them both.

A single game in Revolution can be played in an evening - because it was designed from the ground up to play that way.

I suppose it's possible to complete a game of Civ 4 in one evening - but it wasn't really designed from the ground up for that purpose. Myself, whenever I launch a new game of Civ4 , it's rarely the case that I'll finish that campaign within a week. More often than not I never even finish at all - life gets in the way, and then I have to leave the game, and when I do come back, days, or even weeks later, I'll have forgotten what I was doing. Then, usually, I'll start a campaign anew. I'm not saying it's not a great experience, because it is - it's just that you'll need quite a bit of time on your hands.

I've got to admit though, that there's something to be said for being able to complete a game like this in just one sitting. Note that a game of Revolution will still take you hours though. (Trust me, it won't feel like hours - you'll wonder where the time went.)

Actually, you know what, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say go with Revolution. The truth is you can't really go wrong in doing this. Once you begin to understand the dynamics of the game (this takes just two or three games to do) you'll be hooked. And when I say hooked, I mean hooked.

Revolution, I believe, is one of those games that actually causes a chemical reaction to take place in your brain - how else can I describe the sense of euphoria that I will often feel after playing for a couple of hours straight? Also, don't worry about the controller issue. It's not even an issue. It's a fantastic setup. I'm a keyboard man myself - but this game was MEANT for a controller. It just feels right.

And if by some weird circumstance you actually dislike Revolution then you can give it to one of your friends and make their summer - I can assure you that it wouldn't be difficult finding somebody who will love this game with a passion.

(EDIT: Also, if you do buy Revolution first, then what's stopping you from buying CIV 4 for you computer after that? My guess is that if you play and get to know Revolution, then a few months from now you'll be dying to get your hands on the pc version, just to see how it plays in comparison.)

Yeah I just downloaded both of the demos and checked them out. The fact that you don't need twitch-quick reflexes like WC means I can deal with a controller ;)

I'm leaning towards Revolution right now.

Don't lean.

Leap!

Revolution may be what people are suggesting, but in terms of longevity and depth, Civ IV wins (not to say Revolution doesn't have those - it just doesn't have as much).

As for forgetting where you were in Civ IV, you must not have gotten into it much. I'm reminded of my friend who I play Civ IV with. He would be on patrol (he's in the Army) and during his patrol he'd be planning his next moves in Civ.

If you get into Civ IV, this will become normal and very fun.

the other thing you night want to consider is that because your computer you'd play civ on is a Mac, you wouldn't be able to play the beyond the sword expansion, which really beefs up CIV IV, for this reason i'd lean toward CivRev

I like both versions, but in a straight up comparison, Civ IV easily beats Rev, IMHO.

If Civ IV is a 10, then I'd give Rev a score of 7.

the other thing you night want to consider is that because your computer you'd play civ on is a Mac, you wouldn't be able to play the beyond the sword expansion, which really beefs up CIV IV, for this reason i'd lean toward CivRev

OS X + Bootcamp works just fine.

CivIV is far better IMO.

Revolution is good for on the go. (for DS)

It's very, very simplified though. So simplified that it is quite pathetic compared to Civ4.

And don't listen to the people, I finish Civ4 games in usually 3 hours, CivRev games in about half that. Civ4 does not take a "week" to finish unless you play on Marathon. (or Epic)

One think though, Revolution can be learned pretty quick (a week or two and you'll have a great grasp on the gameplay). It took me several months to understand Civ4 fairly well.

And don't listen to the people, I finish Civ4 games in usually 3 hours, CivRev games in about half that. Civ4 does not take a "week" to finish unless you play on Marathon. (or Epic)

Yeah but Civ IV on anything faster than Epic just goes by too fast. Your units go obsolete as soon as you get done building them and moving them. The game doesn't have the right balance for a faster speed, in my opinion.

CivIV is far better IMO.

Revolution is good for on the go. (for DS)

It's very, very simplified though. So simplified that it is quite pathetic compared to Civ4.

One think though, Revolution can be learned pretty quick (a week or two and you'll have a great grasp on the gameplay). It took me several months to understand Civ4 fairly well.

Actually the beauty of Civ 4 game, to me, was its epic struggle against AIs and the micromanaging of your empire in its finest detail. :)

Civ Rev is very simplified compared to Civ 4, but I like it for the fact that I can really finish the game in one sitting. For me, I never have been able to finish Civ 4 in one sitting. Is there a trick or two you are using? :)

Actually the beauty of Civ 4 game, to me, was its epic struggle against AIs and the micromanaging of your empire in its finest detail. :)

Civ Rev is very simplified compared to Civ 4, but I like it for the fact that I can really finish the game in one sitting. For me, I never have been able to finish Civ 4 in one sitting. Is there a trick or two you are using? :)

Well, I don't play the military game a lot, when I do it increases the game time a lot. I like Space Race and Culture, which can be won quite quickly.

Well, I don't play the military game a lot, when I do it increases the game time a lot. I like Space Race and Culture, which can be won quite quickly.

I had that impression when I was reading some of your posts in the ALC threads. However, if there is ONE victory I have not had the pleasure of achieving, it is the AP diplomatic win. :(

Top Bottom