[RFC-DoC] No Cities Left Behind (The Super Secret History of the Mongols)

Tigranes

Armenian

PREFACE​
Dear Reader. Until now it was known that The Secret History of the Mongols was the oldest surviving Mongolian-language literary work. It was written for the Mongol royal family some time after Genghis Khan's death in AD 1227, by an anonymous author and probably originally in the Uyghur script. The first to discover the Secret History for the west and offer a translation from the Chinese glossary was the Russian sinologist Palladiy Kafarov.

However some times ago I was able to recover even older manuscript -- The Super Secret History of the Mongols! This translation with my commentaries will revolutionize our knowledge about the Mongols and about the real history of their conquests. As Super Secret Historian himself notes later in the text I was translating so excitedly -- Genghis Khan wanted the real History to be be discovered in 2011 only. So The Super Secret History of the Mongols was kept in the super secret location, while general public was allowed to entertain themselves with The Secret History.

I must warn you that the following translation contains the original drawings of the Super Secret Historian (he calls them "screenies", for some reason ) and those contain lots of tsextual, spelling, and graphic violence -- reader discretion is advised!

Some of the facts in this work repeat the known history, but many do not. The main idea of this work, as Super Secret Historian will point out many, many times, is that Genghis Khan did not like cities -- nada, not a single one, none of them was kept by Mongols (except for his capital Qara Qorum). So in super secret reality he ordered to raze every single city -- and all the towns and villages too. When the city (like Holy City of some religion) could not be razed via regular means -- i.e. fire and bulldozers -- the Great Khan employed his ultimate weapon, labeled "WorldBuilder" by his super secret Historian (or sometimes as the Eternal Blue Sky). The only other time the Eternal Blue Sky was used is to provide Mongols with Calendar (for easy conquest tracking) and to make sure that in 1190 Mongols start with the Great General Temujin. Without further adieu let me introduce the title painting from the The Super Secret History of the Mongols:

This looks like it's gonna be awesome. Subbed :D

"It is not sufficient that I must succeed, all others must fail as well." Genghis Khan Temujin.

This will be interesting.

The Yasa prescribes these rules:
to love one another, not to commit adultery,
not to steal, not to give false witness,
not to be a traitor, and to respect old people and beggars.
Whoever violates these commands is put to death.

Chen-ji-su ha-han-na hu-zha-wu-er! I mean, whats going on, nations? Oh .. I mean I need to tell you nations what was going on with my nation. That's what Temujin told me to do -- and when he says something you better listen. My boss does no repeat twice. You don't love one another -- you both die. So he summoned me and my twin brother and told us to write histories. My brother has to take notes during his lifetime and start writing Secret History after Khan's death and I will be in charge of the real Super Secret History -- I have to describe the events as they are unfolding in front of my eyes. So here we are:

my brother --

and me:

As you can tell, my brother is a cute lad who used to work as a Scout before he accidentally learned how to use Uighur script and was promoted to historian -- +10% against Critics, +50% against Animals. And I am too secret to tell you what was in my resume. The only thing you can know is that I can write too (sort of). And also I can draw screenies. So here you are -- this is how it all started:

My brother thinks there were 2 Chinas -- Jin and Song. As you can see -- he is drinking too much kumis. One Chinese Empire and we start at war with her. I wish we start at peace, wait some 9 years, flip some cities on our side and get war declaration and lots of extra troops. But, alas, real life allows for no reloads, so we got what we got.

Now meet my boss:

He is tough. In [1190], a delegation arrived at the court of my boss to proclaim the ascension of a new Jin [Chinese] Emperor to the Jurched [Chinese] throne and demanded the submission of the Mongols as a vassal state. Temujin have turned to the south and spat on the ground; then he mounted his horse, and rode toward the north, leaving the stunned envoy choking in his dust. His defiance was tantamount to a declaration of war.

After Temujin returned to Kherlen River (see my painting), he summoned a board meeting, I mean -- kurultai. By organizing a long discussion, everyone in the community was included in the process. Genghis prayed privately on a nearby mountain. He removed his hat and belt, bowed down before the Eternal Sky, and recounted the generations of grievances his people held against the Chinese and detailed the torture and murder of his ancestors. He explained that he had not sought this war against the Jurchens. At the dawn on the 4th day, Genghis emerged with the verdict: "The Eternal Blue Sky has promised us victory and vengeance".

All we got though were 6 tumen of Keshiks. The first tumen was lead by my boss himself, his sons -- Jochi, Ogedei, Chagatai and Tolui took the command of 4 more tumens and the last one was marshaled by Subutai Bagatur. Subutai was proof that the Mongol Empire was a meritocracy. He was a commoner by birth, the son of Qaban, who was supposedly a blacksmith:

Our 6 tumen jumped over the Great Wall and approached to the size 8 Beijing. Now the size is important because my boss shows a detestation towards cities. We gonna leave no cities behind us. However we are bleeding 20 golds every 3 years ( I am going to call it "one turn") -- so we can only survive by looting cities and getting a free Keshik for every 4 population. War should feed herself -- our shamans telling me many years later some Frankish Napoleon will use my phrase -- in my will I will ask my descendants to sue him.

Meanwhile my boss was demanding tribute from every stranger we can meet on the planet. Those two complied:

The rules with strangers are simple -- if they pay token tribute -- we leave them alone for some time, otherwise we HAVE TO declare war.

Temujin charges Beijing on the second turn:

and Subutai captures the city. It has Borobudur inside: a 9th-century Mahayana Buddhist monument. The monument comprises six square platforms topped by three circular platforms, and is decorated with 2,672 relief panels and 504 Buddha statues. It also has a part of the Great Wall which was not very Great against us:

My Brother says that we should keep the city for the future Yuan Dynasty -- but my boss tells him to dream big -- who needs China if we have to take over the world! My twin brother objects that without coastal city we will never take over the world -- but my boss Temujin orders him to hush. The only city he wonna keep is our capital Qara Qorum. Needless to say that Beijing/Khanbaliq is burned and 2 Tumen that joined us after that victory are named after the former city. Temujin told them: "Live like a men, fight like a men, sleep like a men -- in yurt, not in those houses. I don't trust house dwellers! Eternal Blue Sky is the best roof on this green Earth!"

THIS IS what Chinese get for being naughty:

We found our capital on the second turn:

and start changing our Civics to reflect that we are no longer just a tribe but a mighty nation:

So everything is ready for turn 3, when our shamans say few cities will join as. How would Temujin get rid of them? Find out in the Part 1!

P.S. My brother told me that I sound like American commercial, but I have no idea what America is, much less commercial. This gives me a right to ignore him -- but I still love him, otherwise Yasa will tell that I must be put to death. Brrr...:nono:

Very nice!
But I can't remember Korea being in RFC-DoC.

Great update.

T.I. Granes said:
In this first footnote to my translations I would like to thank all my emeritus colleagues for their kind comments and interest:)! There are few clues in Super Secret History allowing me to guess the answers to your questions. The unknown author, who only shows his back to us in his drawings, mentioned something about SVN -- I am not sure what Mongols mean by that. But it suppose to explain why Goryo (Korea) made her way into the Mongol history. Also OCC meant to be ZCC from what I understand (another crazy medieval Mongol cipher). Eternal Blue Sky does not allow to have no cities, but back in the Warlord era nomads were able to win just with tents -- their units and Generals would born there. No such thing is possible in BTS era (one more Mongol cipher I am trying to decipher).

_________

1. An adulterer is to be put to death
without any regard as to whether he is married or not.
The Great Yasa of Genghis Khan.

I always start my day by meditating on Yasa. My brother tells me to take it easy -- but I cannot. I always try to understand who exactly must die. So if you cheat on your wife you must be put to death even though she is not your wife? And how about adulteress? Ladies can be naughty too, you know... Yasa is very gender specific sometimes. Oh well, I like the logic, even though at times its hard to understand it.

So where were we? Oh turn 3, AD 1195 to be exact. We are having a lot of developments after the fall of Beijing. Four different nations joined our rising Empire:

Among the military units that flipped to our side worth to note our former enemy Zurgadai and his horse archers. During Battle of the Thirteen sides, Temujin was wounded by the arrow to the neck, then his loyal subordinate Zelme cared for his wounds. After the battle, Temujin asked the defeated to reveal who shot "his horse" in the neck (euphemizing his own injury as his horse's in an apparent attempt to conceal his injury, and possibly to prevent false confessions). Zurgadai voluntarily confessed that he shot Genghis Khan himself and not his horse, and further said, that "if Temujin desired to kill him, it was his choice, but if he would let him live, he would serve Temujin loyally". My noble boss, in his own usual custom, highly valued honesty and loyalty in his soldiers and so, in the traditions of nomadic chivalry, pardoned him and praised him on this account. He then gave him a new name, Jebe, which means both "arrow" and "rust". We shall hear more about Jebe Noyan as soon as our Workers in Qara Qorum hook up the horses nearby the nearby mountain and promote his petty Horse Archers to Keshiks.

These are the capitals and units of the nations that flipped to our side:

The Khitan leader Liu-ke had declared his allegiance to Temujin in [1195] and freed Manchuria from the Chinese Empire. They even had their own Theater:

Tatars used to be sworn enemies of Temujin but now they got a clue and provided our Army with the first regiment of well-fed quite fat Swordsmen, which were labeled as Heavy Swordsmen in an effort not to hurt their feelings:

Tangut people called their state "phiow-bjij-lhjij-lhjij", which translates to "The Great State of White and Lofty." I personally think they far from being White but at least they provided us with Catapult (sent to help Uighurs). They had a Market and a Silk Road Corporation which left their city the moment it flipped to us. But who cares -- Temujin would not tolerate any city anyways:

Finally -- Uighurs! They used to be a big nation (circa 820 AD):

but all they got now is two archer regiments with long and short bows:

Uighur ruler received Genghis Khan's daughter in exchange for submission.
Overall these flipped troops came in very disappointing numbers. Temujin hoped for more troops in those cities since he is facing Emperors not just Monarchs, but we shall prevail anyway!

Now comes the most outrageous part -- Uighur rulers introduced us to this weird guy:

He is Muslim, unstable, knows his ABCs, has lots of cities but refused to :bowdown: pay a tribute to Temujin! :spank: He probably does not get it, that our horde will beat his horde any day of the week. Oh well... Those who seek war and call us arrogant shall harvest death! No tribute spells W-A-R in Mongol.

This new war changed the plans of our troops in China. Subutai's tumen scouted outskirts of Chinese capital but was ordered to leave China for our footmen and head West to start the early Kwarezm compaign:

Last turn our new tumens from Beijing left only one Archer in the city of Kaifeng (which was supposed to be the tough nut to crack when you are facing Emperors).

We could of easily take the city but we decided to prolong our China war and ordered our mobile troops to withdraw for the war with Caliphate:

All our new allies were told to leave their houses, get some yurts and live like men, not like chicken in the barns with ceilings and walls. Eternal Blue Sky replaced all those cities with city ruins and roads. This is how our realm looked like at the end of the turn 3:

You going to change your cap to something more productive? Or just try and do this using the UP?

Top Bottom