[RFC] In the Name of the Merciful

mediterreania

Warlord
This is going to be different from most stories and tales threads. I won't have pictures, or a turn-by-turn. In fact, I won't even give you that many clues as to what the game looks like. I'm just going to give a brief description of the geopolitical situation - and then the story.

I'm playing as Persia, and by the 1850s I've managed to build an empire from Klausenberg to Delhi. High maintenance costs have recently led to an extreme reduction in the research budget, which is offset by tributary vassals willing to share technologies. Islam is the major religion in Persia, which has adopted Free Religion and other more "liberal" policies. Despite this, Persia faces a belligerent Europe - led by their archrivals Rome, waiting to strike out from the border city of Mediolanum.

Spoiler :
After defying an order by the International Congress to give up the city of Byzantion, the Persians are attacked by an alliance of every European power. A tripartite alliance with America and Mongolia - as well as their vassals - fights off the attack. Germany and the Vikings collapse. Persian armies reach Belgium - and make peace with France and Holland. Berlin is given to Holland as a peace offering...and immediately revolts.

Fighting continues on with Spanish and Portuguese armies threatening Klausenberg. Peace is eventually made, and France and Portugal voluntarily become vassals of Persia. The next 90 years are of relative peace - with the exception of colonial expansion into formerly independent city-states. Persian cavalry armies gain experience in their African and Indian campaigns. Then the prelude to war. Greece declares independence and becomes a vassal of Persia - sparking war with the Romans and their allies.

Peace is once again made, but it does not last, as an unprovoked declaration of war comes from almost every nation on earth, against Persia, Inca, and their vassals. While most nations only offer token forces, the worse fighting occurs on the Roman and American fronts.

The Second World War: 1960s to 1980s

Chapter One: The Razing of Mediolanum
The following is taken from a debriefing of Iskandar Pericles: an ethnic Greek missile officer in the Persian Air Corps.

The siren went off again. I thought it was a drill - we all did. The Romans had few operational airframes left and a shortage of necessary materials to build build new ones, and our pilots to put pressure on their airfields. The likelihood of an incoming missile attack was also low. There were few nuclear-capable states, even fewer in Europe proper, and none had yet shown the willingness to use nuclear weapons.

We all arrived at the briefing room with our usual enthusiasm - expecting to be told it was a drill, and sent back to our bunks. What worried us was the manner of the officer in front, by the podium. He was trembling. It was very unlike him to be nervous - he was a veteran of the Greek War, he had seen his fair share of action. He pulled out a note bearing the insignia of the High Council, crisply unfolded it, and read aloud.

"The High Council has authorized a live weapons test of the atomic bomb," - we had never used one ourselves, only seen allied tests - "on the city of Mediolanum." There were murmurs of shock and disbelief. A few cheered. I remained professional, and proceeded to my immediate superior for further instructions. A target area had already been preselected based on aerial reconnaissance. There was a reluctance to launch, a frenzy communication back to the capital. Was this a genuine order.

Someone stepped forward to turn the key. The missile poked his head out from the silo, and slid away into the sky. We waited. The screen showed the trajectory of the rocket. It peaked somewhere over the Alps, and fell back to Earth. There was a communications blackout after that. They didn't want any psychological breakdowns following news of the destruction of Mediolanum.

We actually saw the troops leaving the city for Mediolanum. They looked broken. This was the same army that had just returned battered from their Pyrrhic victory in Coastal Campaign. There was a dilemma, apparently, on the participation of the cavalry troops. How would horses be shielded from fallout? It was eventually decided that they would fight dismounted - or tank desant.

There were mixed feelings on the taking of the city - joy, guilt, but mostly relief. And when the Roman government's surrender offers were rejected - that was the worst. Many lives had been lost, but the remains of the two armies were thrown against each other in a desperate final battle. We had reserves, they didn't - that's all it boiled down to. The combined forces of the Gulf Fleet and the newly trained paratroopers were what won.

There was no celebration this time. We braced ourselves for the next bloody campaign: America. Many of my colleagues were transferred to the Vancouver base. I was fortunate enough to get a commission with Shush Air Defense - a place not likely to see action in some time. I saw some of my colleagues from Shush sent out on the expeditionary fleet, never to return.

And, though it brings me great pain, I'm glad for it. I'm glad that goddamn submarine sunk with its cargo. I'm glad Washington and Philadelphia will never have to taste the A-bomb. And...Salt Lake...oh God...I'm sorry...we should...continue the interview...later...at a later time...please...I need...a moment...
God forgive us.

Chapter Two: Repentence
The following is from the speech of President Sohil Shirazi, in his "Address to the American People" following the armistice.

Subbed. Very dramatic. It's off to a good start.

Yep - that's just my style. I just can't pull off the funny guy, and plus the game is kinda a lot more dramatic on RFC :p

Very good so far!

Reminds me of A World at War by Sultora, which also utilized zero screenshots.
I think the "no-screenshot" format can work well so long as the writing is exceptional and in the case of this story,
it already seems to meet that prerequisite.

Reminds me of A World at War by Sultora, which also utilized zero screenshots.
I think the "no-screenshot" format can work well so long as the writing is exceptional and in the case of this story.
But i like pictures :sad:

Enjoyed the story never the less though

Good story! I want to make one like this someday (tinypic doesn't work for me, although I do have a Dropbox account).

Subbed.

Going just by what we've seen so far, this story seems to me similar in tone to Pax Romana, but with more heart ^_^

(I too like pictures -- sometimes love them -- but can live without.)

subbed

Welcome to the subforum! You've clearly taken far too long to get here, with writing that good :)

Top Bottom