[RFC Ireland] A short alternate history of Ireland

Antaine (of the modmod RFC Celts) in his fanaticism has created the ultimate Irish mod-mod: RFC with Ireland!:king:
I thought it would be fun to win the UHV as quickly as possible. He has chosen Brian Boru as the leader even though Ireland spawns in 660 AD (and Brian Boru flourished at the end of the millenium) and Ireland is already unified when shows up. Our UHV criteria (for now at least) are:
1. Control Britain in 1500 (if you vassalize the English this will count)
2. Build 5 Christian monasteries and 5 libraries by 1500
3. Spread Christianity to 40%
Our UU is the Raparee (pikeman with 100% against gunpowder) and our UB is the Irish pub (which gives 4:) and 1 :health: plus the usual amphitheater perks--a little exaggerated in the claims of booze giving health, no?):D

Our UP is the strongest of all: 1 hammer in all sea tiles! I.e. free Moai Statues in all cities without the need for dikes! :crazyeye:

So we show up with lots of Celtic cities in the British Isles. (It's interesting that we have almost the same units as the Celts 1400 years ago except with 3 Christian missionaries). Only the ones in Ireland will flip to us, which means that we need to raze the rest to avoid them going to the British. So we load our 2 Gallic warriors to our only galley and send them over to Scotland and Wales. (This is actually a good start since we get a free worker and warrior and the 2 Irish cities are plump)
We switch to HR/V/S/OR. Some of our Christian monks, in their fervor to spread the true faith, are ignoring defense, gambling that the lone warriors in the Irish cities will not attack them.
Science is set at 0 for now so we can accumulate some cash for mercenaries.
We have 16 turns until 820AD when the Brits appear, so until then, nothing but military units.

2nd turn we capture the workers around Cardiff.
3rd turn 2 cities flip to us. We raze Cardiff for some cash and send some workers home. We also switch to Christianity. Our next target is Edinburgh (Dunedin) and priority is to destroy the roads around future London so that their settlers cannot
You will have noticed I saved our 2 settlers for founding cities in Wales and Scotland in 850 (after the English flip). We can actually reach Iceland from where we are but I'll do that later.

4th turn: We raze Dunedin. The road and pasture on the horse is pillaged. Some choice mercenaries are bought (we'll probably buy all of them later on but I just want to reserve the war elephant):

5th turn: A gallic warrior destroys one of our archers, so our other archer kills him. Just 2 more Gallic warriors to worry about and that's it. Our elephant and axeman get loaded onto the galley.
6th turn: we pillage the sheep while our gallic warriors heal and the elephant arrives next to Penzance.

7th turn: The future Penzance and London are both razed. (I'm sorry, antaine, to destroy your hard work with all these indy cities, but that's the strategy that the Irish should have taken in the first place). Roads will be destroyed after we evacuate England but not before.

8th turn: Load up our elephant and send him towards York.
9th turn: Elephant unloads. Troops continue to pillage roads in England/Wales. We hire yet another axeman and elephant:

10th turn: Some troops go home temporarily just so that they won't flip to the English
11th turn: York is burned to the ground!

12th turn: the rest of the units are loaded back onto the galley.
13th-15th turn: We espy the French and are notified that the Babylonians have collapsed, i.e. they didn't build the Great Wall.

16th turn: We meet the French and exchange gifts of 10g each, and OB.
We're declared the 4th most powerful empire on earth:

17th turn: (i.e. 820 AD when all units flip to the English on England): we land our party of settler and War elephant on the horse 1E of Cardiff. No English in sight yet...
18th turn: (i.e. 1st turn after Engilsh spawn) We DOW on Elizabeth!

19th turn: (i.e. 2nd turn after English spawn when they get workers and cities flip): we found Kernow next to former Penzance. (I left the road on the sheep undestroyed so that we can just load and unload troops there). Troops are slowly but surely going across the Irish Channel...

20th turn: We unload a settler in Scotland. I see there's an expert longbow among the mercenaries, but unfortunately we can't hire him, so I get a crossbow and another axeman instead...

21th turn: Inverness is founded on the northern iron. Um, our treasury is empty, so I build gold...:blush:
22th turn: So long, suckers! (It was overkill, and now I have to find some use for our expensive mercenaries...maybe Vikings our historic enemies?)

212: We decided to kill all the mercenaries (to avoid them being hired by other people) and just build lots of monasteries and libraries.
Long story short, we built 5 of each and got our GA when the Incans spawned so some time in the 1200's. We want paper for our monasteries but somehow our science is just in the dumps and lots of Irish pubs were built for happiness and booze dulls the mind:

And with a little sloppy play we got the 3rd UHV in 1290, built the Univ of Sankore and Hagia Sophia with our superior monasteries and their esoteric knowledge.

wow...talk about scorched earth...

I have those Celtic cities spawn with Gallic Warriors...I'm not sure why they are all regular warriors by the time the Irish spawn. Do the minor Celts run out of money and have to disband them? Hmmmmmm...

I'm also working on a 600 AD start version because I'm incorporating the normal/epic/marathon mod to enable other speeds. There will be archers in those cities, and that should be a little more challenging.

I'm definitely going to raise the Christianity rate to necessitate some hard work. I'm also going to tinker with the uhv with the buildings...more buildings, shorter time, or both.

Also, this is the first time I've seen the Celts retake Eabhrac/Jorvik/York from the Vikings...usually, they're sitting there with two axemen and some archers...makes things a little more challenging, but as you've shown I can't count on that.

;) As for the "booze for health," I was thinking more along the lines of prepared food, but let's not forget that it depends on the *type* of booze, lol:

If Ireland gets to say Guiness is good for you, America gets to say sugar is good for you.

They used that sloagan because aparently Guinness helps prevent against cholesterol

Top Bottom