RFC is dead, long live RFC

It's funny - I generally dislike the UHV concept. I think it kind of imbalances the game. But thinking them up still is kind of fun, especially if it changes the focus of what the player tries to do with the civ.

China:

Trade 5(?) Silk resources by 1200 CE
Be the first to circumnavigate the globe.
Control Tibet, Indochina, Korea, Mongolia, and Indochina by 1800 CE.

Rome (Italy)

Make Rome the most cultured city in the world by 1000 CE
Found a religion and do not lose control of its holy city by 1600 CE
Control three cities in Africa by 1900 CE (or perhaps, conquer Ethiopia)

EDIT: I just guessed at 5 silks, but checking the map, I see that there are five in mainland China and two in Korea, two in Japan, and one in the Philippines. Perfect.

Have another start point. Later on, such as World 2009 start.

That would of course mean extending the game and removing the time limit and victory options.

I think that could be quite interesting as well. Sort of a Future RFC starting in the current era. You could also add in a few more civs for this particular scenario only, such as Canada, Autralia, Brazil, etc., or even have them spawn in during the regular game.

You don't need to add in any of the future tech stuff though. Just as it is.

Just an idea.

Or we can even hold a competition:
The New World.

We could ask people to draw their own world map. Then, when we select the one that is the most realistic/ looks the best to play, we can place civs and and name the plots, create corresponding UHVs, and other stuff.

Seems like a big deal, but we won't have to worry about historical accuracy or worry about the proportions of the map to satisfy each civilization(Like with an expanded Europe in RFC or RFCE). We can choose different civs in place of old ones that don't really have a big impact. So it will be possible for Poland, Ukraine, Korea, and/or more. We will control history. But unlike Rand, we can become accustomed to a new, uniformal map that everyone plays. We can decide where civilizations should first start, and where the AI should plot cities. This way, if the biggest reason for the making of this thread is how AP and other players who agree with wanting a structural world.

I honestly would rather RAND, but this could be an idea.

Map would need:
-At least two oceans
-Continents that look like they used to be a Supercontinent
-At least one archipelago
-Named features (to make it a little more personal). So named mountain ranges, lakes, seas, rivers, deserts, oceans, etc.

So do you think this sounds do-able, and possibly revive RFC?

I can't imagine... RFC is BIG.
But I have never played Civ 3. I found out about the civilization series when I played CivIV at a friends house. I have nothing to compare it to.
Also, you sound like you know what you are doing. What you can do in a couple of hours is what I can do in a couple of seasons.

Actually, my main goal with that map/mod was to be small, or perhaps, medium-sized, as opposed to BIG. My days of having bleeding-edge technology are well passed.

Civ3 had a much easier-to-use modding system with a nice little GUI: http://www.civfanatics.com/images/civ3/eastereggs/apolyton_editor.gif

Its ease of use meant it was much less powerful, though. So hardcore modders can do a lot more with Civ4, but more casual modders like me can do less.

Well I'm what'd you call a "what-the-hell-am-I-doing kinda modder."
I tried to add the mod where you input a code making it so a civ has a new, modern capital if they respawn. I ended up (I think) making it so no body started with a capital, therefore when I tried to load it up as Ramses, it said "you have been defeated" before the game even started. So in order to get it back to normal, I had to delete my Rhye's file and redownload it.

civ2 had the balance right for me. civ3 I couldn't do much what I wanted to do with, while civ4 modding is mostly over my head. I can handle XML since thats pretty much just databases, but python is an actual programming language and a completely different story...

The thing about RFC RAND is, why is that better than revolution mod (Other than UHV) ?

On the Chinese silk road, I think it'd be way better to have a "major trade route" in the world. Basically, the trade route that is worth the most becomes the worlds major trade route, a road appears along the route. All cities founded along the route get a commerce bonus. However, the route can be pillaged. If the route is pillaged too many times it becomes "unsafe" and a new major trade route is made while the old one looses its bonuses...

There are still two modifications that I would love to see (but they won't happen, I know):
1. A "Conquest with Mali" version in which AI can build more units and plays more aggressively but the player doesn't have to expand historically. UHVs were the greatest idea ever but I agree that they are in a way dead now. Being able to try what-if scenarios without having to use some kind of exploit (like gifting cities to Incas) would be great.
2. Adding back corporations to the BtS version and having corporation related UHVs (spice up the lame Japanese UHV). May provide some fresh challenges. There was a reason why Rhye opposed this but I don't remember what it was now.

Or what about just having one UHV for each civ, but making it always possible? For example, for Egypt, "Build 6 World Wonders" or something like that (I just made that up off the top of my head). Something that would take a while, but not depend on the start location or current situation.

That sounds like a good idea. It should be a fairly large UHV so it won't get completed too quickly either.
Right, it would be something that would take a long time to complete (for some civs longer than others; for example, Egypt never lasts that long so it should probably have a semi-quick one, while Germany should have a long-term one).

RFC isn't dead, keep in mind some of us haven't been playing nearly as long as others. I haven't even played as half of the civs, let alone win with them.

Personally though, I'd like to see a purely classical version of RFC as a mod-mod. Like RFC:E, but with classical European and near-eastern civs. Would make conquering the Persian empire a lot more interesting. Any thoughts?

BTW, corporations are still in the game, aren't they?

I was thinking about how cool it would be to have a "Rhye's of Rome" the other day, actually. People could finally play as the beloved Celts. :p

The mod I have been dreaming about for the longest time hasn't been mentioned, which surprises me. Rise and Fall From Heaven. A combination of CIVs two most complete, professional and well balanced mods... Kael and Rhye working together... Is it too much to ask for Valentine's Day?

Donnu about you but it seems to me that this thread just gave all of us ideas for the RFC-Rennaisance(sp?) :)

Zachscape I like your idea but I don't understand it fully, are we supposed to draw a map of earth that put more emphasis on civs that aren't in RFC right now? Or are we supposed to draw a RFCRand-style map? (2 big continents with a big ocean in the middle, places where civs spawn, their settler\war\stability maps etc)

Lol, thanks for reading it. Umm, I don't think we should emphasize on different civs, just focus on the ones a majority of Rhye's players want. Like I think Maya would probably be outed instead of the controversial Poland. I don't really want Poland, but this is to satisfy the community, not me.
My idea was what if mankind started on a realistic planet other than Earth? So to me, names of civilizations (except America. Yeah nationalism!!!!) would be merely place holders IMO.
Also, there could be 12 continents. There could be two. There should just be at least one division between New World and Old World civs.
RAND has amazing randomly generated maps. But if there was one completely human made map that paid close attention to geographic realism (like a map I drew out for fun as an example for this idea has it's own Ring of Fire as well as mountain ranges that appear to be caused by continental drift.), with areas that clearly look like a good place for a great, history-changing colony.
And if a competition is started, no body should have to go that far into detail, like stability/settler maps are unnecessary (unless someone really wanted to.). The only thing besides drawing the map is just showing where they think the original 4 civs should spawn.

And I agree. This is like the Rhye's Renaissance. One day, when I take over the world (IRL), I will demand that this be taught in school. :egypt:

Top Bottom