[RFC Rand] Glory to the Legions

Time for another barbarian-packed update!

In the east, the newly commissioned 7th Legion was given the task to hold against all barbarian forces - a task they did extremely well. Through several battles against axemen, swordsmen, and at one period three divisions of horse archers at once, the 7th Legion did not fall.

In the north, c. 185 AD, a scouting group named "Delphus" was formed. Sadly, they were killed as soon as they got their name, by horse archers.

C. 290 AD, Bedouin tribes assaulted the southernmost part of the empire, around the former Egyptian capital. Spearmen units were comissioned in the former Egyptian capital, though they were killed shortly thereafter after a valiant defense, by camel archers. Sadly, a counter attack by the Danube Legion failed, and the entire Legion was obliterated. Fortunately, however, local forces managed to put the small invasion down.

Spearmen units were sent south, to explore the region and find the source of the barbarians. They spotted a large army of axemen and elephants, instead - one spearmen held its ground, allowing the other to escape, and managed to hold off the elephant division. Sadly, the axemen were too much, and they were killed.

c. 350 AD, a settler party broke off from Arretium, accompanied by an axemen division. They were meant to go to a northern part of the Danube, near sheep, copper, and deer, but they were never heard from again - it is assumed horse archers killed them all. Spearmen sent north also encountered another large army of axemen. They held their position till the end, destroying an attacking axemen division, before being overrun by a second. The Carthaginian swordsmen unit they shared a camp with managed to survive the rest of the attacks, however.

In 425 AD, the first Roman laws were made, called the Justinian Code, after the current ruler in that time, GaiusJustinian Adolphus.

C. 485 AD, a massive wall was constructed around Rome, after the frequent and terrifyingly powerful Bedouin invasion in the South, though it was not started until later, when construction techniques were mastered.

Mosher, you can look at the text after you have played past 1280 if you like.
Spoiler NFME, played up to 1280 :

Mosher needs to get the great wall asap, the southern cities get the barbs for both Europe and Egypt. i managed to get it in around ~450. if he doesn't get it by 580 he is in trouble as that's when plague hit (i can't remember if plague will be different per reload so this may not be the case)
As for countries spawning the vikings were a quite a bit away from me, the arabs flipped one indy city south of me, france was quite close and spain flipped most of Carthaginian cities (they had collapsed by this point). the only country which flips a city is germany who takes the northern most one.
there were lots of wars with the european countries though only spain manged to capture on of my cities. By 1280 i had recaptured all the cities lost plus a few more german ones.
Mosher will probably do better than this because i was rushing a bit i.e. automated workers but here is my empire

WARNING, PICTURES BELOW CONTAINS REVEALED MAP
Spoiler :

And i still couldn't find Greece :(

Those Camel Archers make for some scary Barbarian units! This Mod is certainly one where you cannot play by the "Spearmen are optional" approach! Well, I suppose that with Praetorians you could play that way, but still, it's nice to have the correct Specialized unit type to do the job properly.

Say, how does The Plague work in this Mod? Will you just lose Health or do you also lose population points if it hits, even if your Cities are not starving?

I'd assume the same way it works in normal RFC.

I use spearmen because Legions are too precious - they cost too much to use as fodder when I could use spearmen to the same effect.

I'd assume the same way it works in normal RFC.
Maybe someone who has played normal RFC can explain who The Plague works, then, since I don't know how it works there, either.

I use spearmen because Legions are too precious - they cost too much to use as fodder when I could use spearmen to the same effect.
And if the Spearmen die, then you can follow-up with a Legion for the kill and a free bit of Experience.

Maybe someone who has played normal RFC can explain who The Plague works, then, since I don't know how it works there, either.
It adds 5ish :yuck:, removes population points, hurts units and kills units.

Yep. It works out pretty good - but now that I have the great wall, I can finally work on some infrastructure/workers/settlers! I've been going soldiers nonstop, because of the constant invasions.

Also, on the plague - it will cause a LOT of unhealthiness in cities. I don't know if it is the unhealthiness or the plague itself, but it decreases population drastically, AND it can kill/damage units.

:lol: I just realized I left Roma on pure production/starving, from when I was building the Great Wall as fast as possible. I'll have to fix that, next time I open the save up.

Well...good update. Are the barbs in Rand generally Better or worse than in normal RFC? (I don't play Rand a whole lot)

Neither do I. ;) But, I've opened up worldbuilder on different games I've played on Rand (as Persia, Rome, France, a couple others...) and the world was literally COVERED in barbarians. But I have a save, you can check WB and see for yourself.

When i played moshers game
Spoiler NFME :
THERE WERE SO MANY :mwaha: then they all flipped to the new countries

Oh, now it feels like I'm playing TNDI1 again. :p

:lol:

I wonder when I'm going to meet Greece.

When I meet Greece, I will make sure to kill them, so Yoshi cannot use that picture again. :p

Curse you for that picture, Olaf :D

I'll update later today! :D

...Just not right now. :p

Top Bottom