• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

RFCE Historical Timeline

3Miro

Deity
A number of people have mentioned the introduction of "provinces" in the game. While this would brings nice "flavor" into the mod, it is way too much work at this point. Large portions of the code will have to be redone, AI maps changed and so on. However, it is true that our mod could use some flavoring. Here is something that we can do quite easily:

European Historic Timeline

Right now, spawn dates and barbarian invasions overall correctly follow the dates of different event, however, the UHV conditions are ridiculous. Do this by 1000AD! Do that by 1300AD! Other than being round numbers, there is no reason to pick 1000AD vs 990AD vs 1010AD. We should do something else instead.

We should establish a historic timeline of major events in European history and associate EVERY date in the game with one such event or another.

Every event has to be a major battle, treaty, crowning of a king, death of a king, and so on. The event has to be representative as a culmination of success or failure (for one or for another), or so other turning point in history. Good examples that we already have:

- France, control western Europe by 840AD (start of the Carolingian Civil War).
- Venetian UHV-1, conquer Constantinople by 1204AD (fourth Crusade captures Constantinople).

We should do more of those. I have started a list, but I will need help filling it up. Research takes quite some time.

I have attached a .zip file with the dates. The forum only allows for uploads of .zip files. Extract the file and open it with your browser. The gameplay part of the table that is in italic is suggestions. As you can see, this is still very incomplete, I will keep working on it, but I would appreciate suggestions and comments (preferably with links to wikipedia).

Edit: File has been Updated as of Feb 08, 2011.

Attachments

• TimelineOfEurope.zip
    7.8 KB · Views: 108
732 Battle of Tours, Franks turn back Arabs
752 Donation of Pepin, start of the Church's temporal power
1104 Lunds become Metropolitan See of Scandinavia

732 Battle of Tours, Franks turn back Arabs

Fairly important. Maybe we should spawn some Barb Units in France at that time.

752 Donation of Pepin, start of the Church's temporal power

Make it the starting date for the Pope to star gifting gold.

1104 Lunds become Metropolitan See of Scandinavia

Do you mean the foundation of the first archbishopric church in Scandinavia?

Can you provide a wiki reference, I haven't heard of this and this isn't enough for a Google search.

Don't focus too much on the Battle of Tours, it certainly wasn't something that decided the future of Europe like later historians made it out to be.

Fairly important. Maybe we should spawn some Barb Units in France at that time.

Make it the starting date for the Pope to star gifting gold.

Do you mean the foundation of the first archbishopric church in Scandinavia?

Can you provide a wiki reference, I haven't heard of this and this isn't enough for a Google search.
Yes, basically the founding of the archbishopric of Scandinavia
The Catholic Encyclopedia article on Lund is the source

878 Conquest of Sicily by Saracens completed
1091 Normans finish liberating Sicily
1337 Hundred Year's War
1543 Counter-Reformation begins
1616 Thirty Years War
1751 Battle of Lepanto, clash of western civilization and the Ottomans

Maybe we could cover the Northern Crusades too?

Yes, basically the founding of the archbishopric of Scandinavia
The Catholic Encyclopedia article on Lund is the source

878 Conquest of Sicily by Saracens completed
1091 Normans finish liberating Sicily
1337 Hundred Year's War
1543 Counter-Reformation begins
1616 Thirty Years War
1751 Battle of Lepanto, clash of western civilization and the Ottomans

Maybe we could cover the Northern Crusades too?

Important dates, now how would you include them in the mod? I don't want to script wars (like the start of the Hundred years war), maybe boost the odds for a war. Same goes for the 30-year war.

I was thinking about adding counter-reformation for some time, simple event for Catholics: Join Counter-reformation and gain Faith + Prosecutors + Diplo Penalty with Protestants; or refuse CR and gain huge diplomatic boost.

Battle of Lepanto is somewhat late, how do you think we can add it?

Northern Crusades are included as "defensive crusades". You get units helping you if you are fighting with Protestants.

How would you add conquest of Sicily and the archbishopric of Lund?

I really like this idea, incorporating things into gameplay and UHVs but I wouldn't focus too much on territory changes, invasions, troop movements or things like that. Remember some crusades only took a couple years but a couple years in the game is 1 turn...

I agree Tours won't work, there's no way you can make Cordoba expand that much and then contract several dozen turns later

I think the conquest of Grenada is good. How about: get rid of all independents and Cordobans and rid the peninsula of Islam. Uniting under one faith and control isn't exactly reasonable (portugal was often independent of spain) for what historically was the date of 1492. I think the 1600 date should be bumped back to 1492 with the new goals

Also some of the Carolingian things should be avoided. In the mod there's no way to gain the massive empire Charlemagne had.

What if we made a French UHV to unify France? (Piedmont, Alsace-Lorraine) because many monarchs wanted unite France under one rule: Louis XIII, Louis XIV, etc., perhaps this would replace the settlement UHV that seems a little too early for a long spanning country like France

They would have to retake Normandy and conquer Burgundy (push the boundaries of Alps, Rhine, Pyranees, ardennes forest, and the sea)

Also some of the Carolingian things should be avoided. In the mod there's no way to gain the massive empire Charlemagne had.

What if we made a French UHV to unify France? (Piedmont, Alsace-Lorraine) because many monarchs wanted unite France under one rule: Louis XIII, Louis XIV, etc., perhaps this would replace the settlement UHV that seems a little too early for a long spanning country like France

You should try a game with France. There is no "settlement" condition, it is all conquest of independents and barbs. This is representative of the Charlemagne's conquest, we basically give the rise and fall of the Carolingian dynasty with the French UHV-1 and spawn of Burgundy.

Unifying France is more or less a must. If you are going to play with France, there is no way you would allow Burgundy and England to hang around, so I consider this an implicit UHV (besides war with England is inevitable).

I will change the Spanish UHV: Convert Iberia to Catholicism and Purge Islam out by 1492AD. Basically, conquer and prosecute every city with Islam. We can also word it as "unite under Catholic faith".

lol civ king its not a big deal

yeah you're right about charlemagne conquering toulouse and such. The german places you have to settle though, which annoys me a bit. Also, it says capture Jerusalem in 1300. Does that mean capture it by then, capture it on that turn, or control it then.

If its a human sure, conquering Burgundy is a must. But the French AI never conquers them, which is totally ahistoric. Burgundy hangs around as a backwards vassal of another country and never really does any of note.

1066 Norman Invasion of Britain --> Already implemented with the spawn of England

Yeah, I forgot to add that one initially. I will update the file soon.

You have to capture Jerusalem AND keep it until 1300AD. Crusaders got the city on many occasions, the point is that they never managed to keep it for long.

Yes, I just saw that. We can make it an UHV for Genoa maybe, something like conquest of the East Mediterranean Island from the Ottomans.

Or maybe for the Venetians, since their Galleases pretty much won the battle for the christians. It could be like the norse uhv in regular rfc: sink 25 ottoman ships plus no ottoman cities in greece, dalmatia, or the mediterranean by 1571. have a bunch of ottoman war galleys and gun galleys spawn circa 1500. It can be expected that the human will amass a large armada to combat this. Another option is if you can do a kill to death ratio in naval combat vs ottomans for venice.

Or maybe for the Venetians, since their Galleases pretty much won the battle for the christians. It could be like the norse uhv in regular rfc: sink 25 ottoman ships plus no ottoman cities in greece, dalmatia, or the mediterranean by 1571. have a bunch of ottoman war galleys and gun galleys spawn circa 1500. It can be expected that the human will amass a large armada to combat this. Another option is if you can do a kill to death ratio in naval combat vs ottomans for venice.

im all for the taking ottoman islands, but isn't that a bit late for Venezia? In this Venezia is much more of an early game civ (I dont think it fits genoa either though)

Also 25 ships??? I would say 10 would be difficult (the AI doesnt really mass a navy)

This was a great idea, 3Miro!
We should have as many UHVs connected to historical events as possible

Found one mistake though: "The Ottoman Sultan Murad II defeats the combined Polish-Hungarian army lead by Wladyslaw III and John Hunyadi in the battle of Varna"
Murad II was defeated by Hunyadi, and that's why the hungarian UHV is to allow no Ottomans in Europe

Top Bottom