RFRE - mod: Roma Victrix!

An imitator ? No worries, you have shown bold tactics and have done several good moves, like the quick strike against Illyria. You're already outpacing me conquest wise. Keep up the Roman Eagles high and proud !

Thank you! I think i'll stick to aggressive and risky expansion. In my other games i've been more cautious, but i think with enough resolve rome can handle a lot of pressure.

Yes, i know, i keep telling i have no time and yet i keep posting. I have to go to the anonymous civaholics, for i just play way to much :(

Chapter VI:

Year: 196 BC

I'm dividing my hispanic forces to conduct one campaign against Carthago in Africa and one campaign against the iberian tribes at the same time.
My vanguard lands on the roaded tile southwest of Cartenna:

Year: 195 BC

Roma completes the Portus Ostiae:

The Portus Ostiae causes Roma to produce an additional commerce in every tile which already produces one, puts a granary in every city on the continent and acts as a great port.

Although the poeni deliver heavy resistance, Cartenna is not able to hold on.

Year: 194 BC

Year: 193 BC

The Pantheon makes one citizen in every city happy.

In the meantime the remaining forces in Hispania took position near Hispalis, in order to start another war against the iberian barbarians.

Beeing near to the border makes Pax Iulia easy prey:

Year: 192 BC

The Portus Migrare will spawn a Navis Actuaria every 40 turns ad serves as a great port. For this i thought Massilia would be another good position, because it will be at the base of an eventual conquest of Gaul. However, i have invested money in the city to speed up its development.

Year: 191 BC

In Africa i take Utica and meet Xanthippos, a spartan mercenary who reformed the carthaginian military a long while ago and is probably dead for some time *cough*(You probably are supposed to meet him earlier in a first punic war, but i'm not sure if i can recommend raiding africa just to fight Xanthippos in a historical time).

Year: 189 BC

While Romans march through the streets of Scallabis, Publius Cornelius Scipio the younger prepares for an attack on Carthago itself. It is defended by the sacred band, the finest soldiers the Poeni can field and Hannibal, returned from defeat, commands the defence.
Scipio is ready to start a bombardment with sixteen ballistae and to order attack after attack until resistance is broken.

Year: 188 BC

The defenders take heavy casualties, but they fight on.

Year: 187 BC

After the conquest of Olisipo Roma signs a ceasefire with the Iberians. Now it is time to build roads and plan new supply lines.

Hispania in 187 BC:

I later changed production in most of the cities which are producing Praesidium at the moment of the screenshot, because they don't need a new defender right now and can build something more useful for their production.

[On the minimap you can see one thing that worries me: The Ptolemies are having a really bad time against the Seleucids. Maybe i have messed it up with "most aggressive" setting. I'm curious, if the Persians have been active, yet.]

The attacks on Carthago are continued with success.

The last line of defence:

Year: 186 BC

Hannibal and Scipio just before the end:

Year: 185 BC

Carthago and Libya have fallen, an era comes to an end.

Africa in 185 BC:

The guys in the south are Ptolemies, don't ask me what they are doing there instead of defending their homes...

WOOOOOO!! Nice job Stazro! Achieving everything you've done by 190 B.C. Congratulations!

I can't believe Seleukos are actually kicking Egypt's butt ! I've never seen anything like this. In all my games, the most Seleukos actually achieved was to retain all their cities and not lose anything to Persia. I'm very eager to see what will happen between these two as the game progresses.

WOOOOOO!! Nice job Stazro! Achieving everything you've done by 190 B.C. Congratulations!

Thank you very much!

I can't believe Seleukos are actually kicking Egypt's butt ! I've never seen anything like this. In all my games, the most Seleukos actually achieved was to retain all their cities and not lose anything to Persia. I'm very eager to see what will happen between these two as the game progresses.

Me too.

wow! - you are really kickin up some dust! - if you go on like this you will have the largest empire around 1 AD instead of 115 AD.....

keep up the steam - it is a joy to read about and behold - your empire that hopefully will carry europe past the dark ages!

ave!

wow! - you are really kickin up some dust! - if you go on like this you will have the largest empire around 1 AD instead of 115 AD.....

keep up the steam - it is a joy to read about and behold - your empire that hopefully will carry europe past the dark ages!

ave!

Thank you, my joy is even greater than yours when i see people do like it :) When i had more time, i'd try to write more like a story teller and edit pics (which i'm a noob at, i'm just cutting the screenshots to focus on the interesting things), but it's nice that people like this way, too.

I know i'm fast right now, but there are still many factors which can significantly slow down: Some civs need really long time to be beaten considering how long it took in reality (especially Ptolemies [well, perhaps not in this game], Seleucids), for the germanics i'll probably need full force, gaul is a large country without roads, turns will take more than one year and so on.
I'm not sure, but i think i have never finished my conquests in historical time.

Edit: Update at the weekend...

Chapter VII: Downfall of the Greeks

The next years are a period of peace. Legionaries are building roads in the most remote regions of the republic, legions are being refilled and shipped to other coasts.

I decided not to wage war against the Numidians. There is little to gain - only a few cities can be taken - but much to lose as they have tons of Equites Numidici. Now i rather retain "good" relations and direct my eye on other lands. But beware of the Eques Praedabundus! It is a hidden nationality unit and will sometimes attack you, when it is spawned in the desert. Hadrumetum is a likely target. You should have at least a handful of Velites around. And better don't give them right of passage, as long as you have unprotected servi moving around and until your cities in africa have a decent number of defenders.

Year: 179 BC

Shall this be an omen?
Hm, yes, it shall. My thoughts are the following:
Soon i will research Marius' Reforms. This will enable me to upgrade my Legiones to Legio Marius, which is better in attack and defence. The only place where i can upgrade units is actually Roma, which means i need to bring all my legions there in order to upgrade them. If my Legions are on campaign it will take much time, if they are not, i waste time, too. So i'll concentrate all my forces in one campaign, trying to finish it before i research the Reform. Macedonia and Greece seem to be a good target. They have strong armies which have to be dealt with, but once these are crushed it will be a short campaign, as they have only a small number of cities. After this, i'll bring the legions and allies to Roma, where i will upgrade them and have the opportunity to organise them new.
First i have to bring my forces to the balcans. For my african troops i use something like a "shuttle service": Cumbae are going from Carthago to Agrigentum and from Tarentum to Apollonia, while my Navis Actuaria moves back and forth between Messina and Tarentum (this works because i've build the Pharus and my ships get an additional movement point). The armies, which take much place in a ship, use the great port in Carthago to Roma, where they can heal faster due to a building similar to the barracks (i think the palace works this way as well as the Triumphus, which needs full citizenship, which in turn is only available in Rome at the beginning).

In Iberia i will have to build some roads before moving by foot. Perhaps not all of these legions will reach the east in time.

With this tech i can build the Castra Hoplitarum, too. It regularly spawns a Hoplitae Alarius, which does not cost support and can be used as a decent, movable defender which can garrison newly conquered cities until they can build their own praesidii. This castra can be build in any city which has greek goods in its city radius, so at this moment it will be three cities in southern Italia, but soon i'll attack greece and have a larger base to recruit allied hoplites.
A similar building is the Castra Celtica, which i can build in some spanish and later gallic cities. This spawns celtic foot soldiers, which are weak, but don't cost support and be upgraded to celtic auxiliary cavalry (and later beyond) which is a valuable force. It has to be noted, though, that once you upgrade your celtic soldiers they will cost support, so you should do this only in times of need.
The Castra Numidica is a small wonder which spawns numidian cavalry. It can be build in mauretania.

Year: 178 BC

And here it is:

Year: 176 BC

The Praetor finally is finished and places a praetorium in every city which will help to reduce corruption.

After almost ten years of peace the time has come, when the doors to the temple of Ianus are to be opened again, as a sign that the republic is at war. I have assembled nearly all of my offencive forces close to the border. Only seven Legions who had to finish roads in Iberia and one funditor who has been spawned last turn are still on their way and will arrive in about three turns, early enough to take part in the war.

I infuriate the macedons by making extortionate demands and then tell them to leave my territory:

In the next two years i destroy a good number of attacking units. The AI seems to like attacking Apollonia, so i have to defend it well.

Year: 174 BC

My main army in the north of Macedonia has broken the resistance in the antigonid capital:

Year: 172 BC

When attacking Delphi you have to be aware that it's on a tile which gives a high bonus to defensive values. Better you take it when it's Aetolian, because the Antigonids have better defenders.

The ai made the typical mistake to move units from the city (see the ships in the east, one of them will be sunk by pirates next turn, btw) just before my attack, so there were only two defenders left.

Year: 171 BC

Macedonia becomes a new roman province, the ambition of Antigonos' family to produce a new Alexander has ended. Four turns left until research of Marius' Reform will be completed.

Year: 169 BC

It is time to complete the conquest of mainland greece.

Year: 168 BC

Fighting defenders with four or five hitpoints is like holidays after the Antigonids!

Year: 167 BC

The last war of pre-marian Legions (except those in armies):

When this is over, my legions are quite near to rome and i shouldn't lose to much time for upgrading them to Legio Marius, who have one additional attack and defence point.

Year: 166 BC

Roman valour has been victorious over the decadent greeks!

Chapter VIII: Some new business and some unfinished

Year: 161 BC

I now have upgraded my legions and can direct my eyes to the east again. As operational base and bridgehead will serve Pergamum, which i made to join me by propaganda. Rhodus will serve as a naval base.

Another people which choses to join the republic are the Thracians:

Year: 160 BC

Oh, surprise, surprise!

Well, in some way it has really been surprising, because he declared war by attacking a city with two armies and seventeen legio marius (all completely healed) in it. Ah, luckily i'm kind of prepared :)

Year: 157 BC

After my artillery has arrived and several (seeminly despaired and hopeless) attacks have been fought back, the Legiones Romanorum will march again.

Year: 156 BC

Year: 155 BC

Historically, in 88 BC all people living south of the Po River (Fluvius Padus) were granted citizenship. This is represented in RFRE by the Lex Agraria Wonder.
First, you have to enter Civil War (this replaces the Vanilla Revolution, the civil war gouvernment is not as devastating as anarchy, though). When in Civil War you can build the Lex Agraria in Roma. This wonder places a Municipium, a partial citizenship, in all of your cities but will stop to work when you are leaving the civil war, so you have to be fast to take full benefit from the Lex Agraria: As long as it works and Municipii are granted for your cities you can build a Civitas, full citizenship in one turn. Full citizenship allows your cities several buildings which a non citizen settlement cannot build. When you leave the civil war, you can still grant your cities citizenship, but then you will have to build the Municipium manually which takes a long time.
So, make sure all your cities get civitas as soon as you are in civil war!

You can of course wait some time until you have more cities which would benefit from the Lex Agraria (deadline would be Sulla's Rule tech, as Lex Agraria will go obsolete then), but i personally prefer having the civil war done as soon as possible.

I enter civil war and start building the Lex Agraria in Roma.

As you probably noticed, i like opening new theatres:

They have lived in peace for long enough! By the way, i think this is the 100th picture in this story.

Year: 154 BC

Now i can start granting citizenship to cities all over the republic.

Year: 153 BC

The Senate decides to award Legio XIX with the honorific cognomen Rapax for extraordinary courage in the battle of Flaviobriga while sweeping the elite of the Cantabri before them.

Year: 152 BC

Now i have a second Navis Actuaria, spawned by the Portus Migrare in Massilia.

Year: 150 BC

The civil war ends. I chose again roman republic. Roman monarchy is only in the game to enable going into civil war.

Year: 148 BC (now 1 turn two years i think)

Hispania is finally pacified. Legio XXV is awarded the honorific cognomen Hispana for outstanding prowess throughout the campaign.

Year: 146 BC

If you have any questions, suggestions or criticism, please write!

Still a magnificent pace !

Could you tell us what happened, as far as you know between Egypt and Syria. Was Tyrus the only city who changed hands ? Did Syria still had the "normal" number of units to fight you with ? Also, has there been, as long as you can know, a war between Persia and Syria ? Thanks,

Still a magnificent pace !

Could you tell us what happened, as far as you know between Egypt and Syria. Was Tyrus the only city who changed hands ? Did Syria still had the "normal" number of units to fight you with ? Also, has there been, as long as you can know, a war between Persia and Syria ? Thanks,

The Ptolemies hold Cyprus, Alexandria, Siwah and the Cyrenaica. All the rest has gone to the seleucids. The unit numbers are greatly reduced (or maybe in Egypt), after some waves at the beginning i didn't have to deal with any great stacks. I don't know if there was a war between Persia and Syria. The Persians hold Seleuceia, but i'm not sure, if they own it initially or maybe took it by cultural conversion.
Situation between Egypt and Syria is later mostly the same (i've played up to 108 BC yesterday, a short update about the rest of my first Syrian War will come soon).

Chapter IX: Conquest of Syria

Year: 144 BC

The war against the seleucids, who seem to be seriously weakened by their war against the ptolemies, continues:

Year: 142 BC

Year: 140 BC

Syria now is mine and i have gained access to oriental goods, so i agree to make peace with the seleucids:

They retain Babylon and the greater part of egypt.

I'll close this small chapter with this map of the roman republic in 140 BC or 614 AUC:

If you want more description, please tell me! I appreciate feedback, because otherwise i wouldn't know how to make it better and i'm not writing this just for me (that would be pointless, wouldn't it?) ;)

Chapter X: The Mithridatic War and gallic invasion of northern Italia

The next war i'm seeking in the east will be against pontus, as they are the only power to challenge my hegemony over minor asia. Between them and my holdings are three states: Bithynia, Galatia and Armenia. The later two are possible partners for military alliances and Bithynia can be acquired by propaganda and shall be used as operational base.
Armenia is not to be underestimated in their power and can prove as a useful ally in a war against persia, which may come, so i try to have good relations with them and sign a right of passage and gift them Greek Goods, which i have in abundance. The Persians get Celts from me and hopefully will be less motivated to touch my borders.

New subjects:

Year: 136 BC

I notice some gallic activities near the border. If this becomes an attack, i'm not as prepared as i'd like to be, but my legions from hispania will be ready soon.

Year: 134 BC

Imperium Extraordinarium Pompeianum will generate a Quinquiremis Summa every five turns and adds two movement points for naval units.

Imperium Pompeianum spawns a legio marius every three turns, but makes two citizens unhappy in the city in which it is build and one in every other city. It can only be build in Pergamum.

Honestly, this does look like an attack, doesn't it?

Year: 132 BC

Sure it does.

This gives me the opportunity to destroy their unique champion unit (when you are doing an invasion in gaul and suddenly Vercingetorix pops up and hacks your armies in pieces, you'll learn to appreciate when he gives a nice target for a dozen funditores on open terrain):

Legio XXXIV is awarded the honorific Cognomen Gallica for defeating the gallic invasion force and capturing the enemy warlord.

Year: 128 BC

The Servi Defecti wonder greatly increases slave unrest but spawns a Eques every two turns under a republican gouvernment.

The Legions from Hispania succeed in defeating the Volcae, who threatened the cities of Narbo and Massilia:

However, a war in the west does not bind our legions in the east.

As it is now, i will probably not meet an Exercitus Mithridatis, as it is spawned by a wonder which can be build after 100 BC. This is a pity, but it's just to much waiting for me.
The backbone of the pontic army is the bellator armenius, who has an attack of 8 and moves fast even through hills, very annoying. To eat up some of their power i involve the armenians and galatians in the war.
They both don't even want money for the military alliance.

Year: 126 BC

The Gauls come in huge armies over the alps. At the moment i'm mostly using Miles Alarius Celticus, Velites, Funditores and one Eques Numidicus to hold them off. One Navis Actuaria moves units along the coast to where they are needed.

Year: 124 BC

The gallic invasion seems nearly stopped, but my forces have suffered, too.

Another front sees more progress:

Year: 122 BC

Year: 120 BC

Year: 118 BC

Year: 116 BC

Year: 112 BC

Now i have to go to civil war again, in order to change to triumvirate republic, and will start the Imperium Caesaris, which will spawn a Legio Caesaris every ten turns until Dictator tech is discovered (i enter Narbo, where i build it, via the Advisor window, so the 0 shield costing building is completed in the same turn as the discovery and i don't even lose production shields because i synchronized the previous building with the tech).

The Imperium Caesaris can only be build in a city with gallic goods in city radius. As the spanish cities are remote and undeveloped this reduces the choice to Narbo, whis has the Great Port in Massilia in reach (and is intended to be the home base for Caesars' conquest of gaul).

Year: 110 BC

The east in 110 BC:

The pontians had taken Tigranocerta from Armenia, so i had to free it.

Histograph:

Phew, exactly 20 pictures.

You can always return Tigranocerta to the Armenians :p Dioscurias should be theirs too ;) Honestly, you are progressing (seemingly, I don't know about your reload frequency!) just too well. You might have a very long and boring Pax Romana period!

Your story is excellent. I wonder how much reloads you've needed for this powerful show. ;) :worship:

I'm not counting :lol: and i'm not trying to hide something (from opening post):

I'll even save and reload the game and advice to so, when playing RFRE.

On the other hand, there are whole chapters without any reloads and i'm reloading only saves from the same turn, so i think i'm not distorting much. :)

Edit:

You can always return Tigranocerta to the Armenians :p Dioscurias should be theirs too ;) Honestly, you are progressing (seemingly, I don't know about your reload frequency!) just too well. You might have a very long and boring Pax Romana period!

I'm thinking about returning it, it won't hurt me.
About my progress: In this game i'm trying to go to the limit of possible expansion and i think it helps that i have played it for - urm, don't know - six or seven (?) times. Another thing is the aggression: I believe it's making the conquest more easy. Especially the seleucids were a shadow of their performance in other campaigns i played. Making the ai to be the aggressor does help a lot with war weariness. I have never experienced ww until now (which is really notable, but reasonable when you think about how many times i have been attacked)!

Edit 2:

A lot of time is spend with moving units from one theatre to the other. So, before i start a war i think about where my ships should be to make progress as fast as possible and to pick up the troops when they have done what they are intended to do, which war is to be fought next and so on. And i'm always fighting on two fronts, which increases the burden but greatly reduces the time spend on logistics. I'm sometimes starting to move units away before the war is really finished. On the picture of pontus after the conquest you can see some legions moving south in the lower left corner.

Reminds me a lot of my current game that I've put on hold for awhile and I hope that this story is seen through all the way to the end. I've yet to actually finish the game and usually stop playing around the Fall of Rome tech.

Been playing almost the whole day... This is only the first part. I'm tired, so please excuse me if i'm repeating myself.

Chapter XI: The conquest of central Gallia and the defeat of the Ptolemies

Year: 106 BC

Roman Legions are advancing in Gaul to punish the pathetic celts:

As proposed by Pinktilapia, i give Dioscurias and Tigranocerta to Armenia, who are now gracious towards me, a seldom occurrence these days *cough*.

Year: 104 BC

The Ptolemies declare war on the Numidians... One moment i thought i'd have to hurry to get Cyrenaica before the Numids can do, but the Eques Numidicus is not able to enter desert and so hopefully the forces of Numidia won't be enough.

Why do i conquer Chersonesus? Well, it likely will be a pushover once the goths or scythians have a war in mind, but it has barbarian goods, another luxury which i can expect to gain earliest when attacking Germania, if not here (assumed i get a Portus Mercatorius here soon enough...).

Year: 102 BC

Year: 100 BC

The eastern Legions are rolling again, two turns after Pontus has been defeated and - of course! - we are not the aggressor:

Year: 98 BC

Salamis, where i landed with ten ballistae, one Legio Consularis and seven legions, has a lot of toxotis and still holds out. However, i now know there was only one hoplite, so i can thin out my defence along the coast.

As long as i'm in civil war it takes long to complete roads, so i continue my war until i'm able to road Gallia in a reasonable amount of turns.

Year: 96 BC

The agreement of three powerful patricians to form a triumvirate ends the civil war:

The Triumvirate Republic has lower war weariness and unit support costs than the Republic. Note that though the civilopedia states that hurrying would not be possible in fact you can hurry by paying.

It also enables me to build the Dictator Perpetuus wonder which gives me two advances, which should be Dictator and Age of Augustus, which are very expencive. But before i research Dictator and build the Dictator Perpetuus, i'll research Drama Theory and secure that it will not be build before turn 174 of the game. Why? In 112 BC which is turn 144 i completed Imperium Caesaris, so it will spawn a Legio Caesaris in turn 154, 164 and 174, so i'll get three armies from Imperium Caesaris, before it becomes obsolete with Dictator tech.

After having fought alongside roman legions in the war against pontus king Deiotarus decides to put his people under roman protection (in civil war i wasn't able to conduct espionage missions). The galatian soldiers, who are integrated in the roman army form three legions which will be known by the cognomen Deiotariana (i have to admit i have lost count of my losses and recruitments in the last wars, so i didn't know which numbers i had to fill, but i think i'll recount my legions when the Principate is introduced).

A futile attempt of the ptolemies to land troops in Libya has been stopped by the roman navy. There shall be no doubt who rules the Mare Mediterraneum.

Year: 94 BC

Year: 92 BC

My first Legio Caesaris is spawned. My wars are progressing well and i feel little pressure so i'll wait before loading legions in. As long as i'm not getting under heavy pressure i'll wait until i get Legio Imperatoria.

I almost forgot that i planned to make peace with Gallia once i leave the civil war, but no it's time. I definitely need roads.

Year: 90 BC

Year: 88 BC

In less than a hundred years it will be time for crucification and bible and it can't be to my disadvantage to have time for some preparations (delubrum, templum...) in Jerusalem, so i use some propaganda and purchase it:

Year: 86 BC

I have resisted the charm of Cleopatra and forced the last Ptolemies to retreat to Siwah, deep in the desert.

Year: 82 BC

The ptolemies have been destroyed, the temple of Ianus can close its gates.

Year: 80 BC

The republic in 80 BC:

Until now i have researched every tech in twelve turns. Drama Theory will be the first which takes longer, because i need some more turns until the third Legio Caesaris will be spawned and so don't want to build the Dictator Perpetuus and thus researching Dictator to early (like i already wrote).

Chapter XII: From Republic to Principate and the Conquest of Egyptus

Year: 74 BC

Now i have a third Navis Actuaria.

Year: 72 BC

Now i have a second Legio Caesaris.

Year: 62 BC

I chose Dictator but have 0 research for some turns until it is time to complete the Dictator Perpetuus.

Year: 60 BC

After a long time of peace we go to war again.

Year: 58 BC

I start building Dictator Perpetuus, which will be completed in four turns.

Year: 56 BC

Year: 54 BC

I forgot to take a shot of Thebae, so you have it here at the left corner.
It took some time before i started the war, but the war itself became a real blitzkrieg due to so little numbers of defenders that i had enough fast troops to bridge the distances.
The Seleucids still have Babylon and i think they shall retain it. maybe it will be good for something to have them there and i'm not really interested in going in that position.

Year: 52 BC

I now have a third Legio Caesaris.

In eight years (= four turns) of war have the Seleucids lost Egyptus and may sit in Babylon and dream of ruling the world like Alexander did.
My advisor just told me, we know that the Seleucids betrayed our friends, the Persians. I think that means they must have had a war before.

Year: 50 BC

Now i'll research Jul.-Claud. and Flavian Dynasties and raise the science rate to 12 turns.

This will bring me into minus because of the coming civil war, but i have some money in the treasury...

Some people say, it is better to stick with triumvirate, because the pricipate would give no incentive for a change, but i'm going to pick principate just because it's the time for it now.

Roma starts construction of Lex Papia Poppaea, which doubles growth of all cities.

Year: 48 BC

I have counted and numbered my legions now :) Rome commands a total of 50 Legions and 38 of them are upgraded to Legio Imperatoria yet.

Pfuiiiii... who is going to stop you!? It is time the Parthian get some (many) SOD! Good luck Germania ;)
EDIT: thanks for creating great Armenia, at least they have now a home, here in your game! Post a SS of it in your next update plz

Top Bottom