Rhye's Catapult

Rhye said:
when I give you v0.2

WHEN shall that be? :)

EDIT:
What I plan to do with testing is to calculate performance of the civs, the new debug lets me do that...
I think of the F9 numbers, so I can compare economic potentials at a given point, say AD 1000.
I have done that with v011 - I will post it as an example.
I even wrote a short analyses for all ancient civs - as if I were some expert on economics...
which I am not ;)

OK, I decided not to make it long with written reports,
so only the data charts, see below:
test of v011 at AD 1000...

Attachments

• rhye v011 - test2 - 1000 - data.JPG
    rhye v011 - test2 - 1000 - data.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 118
I hope tomorrow.

If you want a 0.12 i can give you it now, but in my opinion it's not very different from 0.11 (AI tweaked for just 3 civs, some more barbarian cities, some bugfixes including the correct spawn of units after flips and of sea units)

V. Soma said:
Perhaps my English is not up the level needed, but, Gunner,
is now the "close cities" a positive change or not, for you? :)
Oh sorry about that, haha. I think it is a very positive change. I guess that statement wasn't very clear when its read online. I'm always amazed at how good you and others are at english when its not your primary language.

Rhye said:
that spawn is no longer needed:
I've succeeded in driving the AI where I want!!!
This is great news. That map that you posted looks pretty good. I'm very interested in seeing what a late game map looks like (or be able to play it myself :D) How exactly did you manage to do this. Speak in general terms, I don't really know python yet. You make a comment about coordinates for civ, does that mean that you set a list of coordinates in an area which the civ should settle in or actually choose which exact tiles to always build a city on?
As I said before, it would be really amazing if this got working well. It would once and for all end the evil Siberia colonization which plagued RoX so much. Good ridance :p

About the fall of civs, I agree that just having them disappear is pretty weird and ultimately not the best implementation. I do, however, think that there is significant merit in the overall idea and I think it would be a shame if it was completely removed permanently. I think that something along the lines of a toned down version in which maybe half of a civ's cities are randomly chosen to turn barbarian would be better. If you did something like that I think it would be also good to guarantee that a civ wouldn't lose its capital.

I think that a very simple solution to the problem of France settling in Spain (I know that it already has been solved somewhat by the new city settling guidelines) would be to just have France and Spain appear at the same time. Both of them essentially started at the same time as barbarian kingdoms who took over part of the declining Western Roman Empire. The Visigoths are generally recongnized as having taken over the administration of Spain by about 415 AD.

There are two other big advantages I see to having the two civs show up at the same time. By having them both suddenly show up near eachother the fall of the Roman Empire can be somewhat easily simulated without being forced to turn any of their cities barbarian. Another advantage to having them show up together is that they will essentially be able to keep eachother company as they are weak and starting up. A powerful AI or player won't be able to simply focus all of its efforts on the one weak player who just started up.

Thats all for now, keep up the great work Rhye! :king:

it's not python, it's c++.

First (v0.11) I had changed the range value from 6 to 1. A settler examines an area (a square actually) around it of 21 plots if range is 6, and 6 plots if range is 1, where to found a city. If it doens't find anything it looks further but this condition is disabled in 0.11

I replaced this kind of search with a customized search for each civ, where only the coordinates of a region are considered and the unit location is ignored.
Unfortunately I cannot be sure that the shorter distance will be again respected with this new method (which doesn't use a range).

And unfortunately, with this DLL sometimes I see things not working as they should. As in 0.11 as well...
But anyway you'll try it soon.

I played a game last night using Rome.

I was thrilled to see founding of new civs along the way. Some things I noticed (up to 700 or so AD):

-Mongolia was founded taking 2 Chinese cities right off the bat.

-India expanded west initially with its first 2 founded cities after the capital. It captured one of the fertile crescent cities (Ur)

-Egypt expanded into the fertile crescent and Arabia, only to have one city flip to become the Arabian Capital upon its founding.

-Greece expanded into the north with 2 cities (until I conquered them with Praets)

-Germany was founded and built Berlin and in place and its second city in southern France.

-France was founded taking the barb city of Lutetia as its capital, and then founding Paris in NW France (Britony). The French were founded vastly superior to everyone else technologically. I was the tech leader, yet they were founded with Longbows :eek:

Britain and Spain have yet to be founded, but I am stopping the AI from expanding into Iberia :lol:

One result of only 4 civs at the start (the three ancients and the human) is that early religions and wonders are easy for the human to get. Was this intended?

I have also noticed that while there are many barbs wandering the steppes of Russia, there has been no settlement in Scandinavia.

I agree with Gunner about France and Spain starting together. Perhaps England as well?

what hour ?

What's the features of 0.20 ???

Continuing my gaem as rome I noticed something. When England was founded, the culture of France caused the English to spawn in Ireland, and since they have no boats, they are stuck with London on the Emerald Isle with their settlers having nowhere to settle.

It also seemed that the Spanish spawned to close to France rather than near the center of Iberia.

I can't wait to be impressed! ;)
Unfortunately, there is a thing called workplace, where there is no Civ,
but then comes the evening...

What's the changes ?

- AI tweaked for all the civs: each one has its region and won't spam other territories. After some techs (like Astronomy) the regions will change. be sure that especially Euro civs get those techs
- some more barbarian cities
- some bugfixes including the correct spawn of units after flips and of sea units

Top Bottom