Rhye's of Europe Organized Development Thread

onedreamer

Dragon
I really don't get what's the problem you guys are having with the social or military revolutions that happened in the 19th and 20th centuries. It seems that you are discussing about Europa Universalis, but this is Civlization, specifically RFC, and RFC ALREADY COVERS this period so I really can't understand how can you consider a problem including it, if you don't consider it a problem when playing RFC (I'm fully with Umarth in saying that the best end date for a european scenario would be WWI or WWII). If this is a scenario then the tech tree can't differ much from the mod, the most I would do is add some dead ends and change wonders/religions. If you do anything more than this then it's going to be a different mod and you should think of another name and post in another forum IMO, to be correct towards Rhye's work and RFC's popularity.

On another note, starting the mod in the merovingian period is a risk because what we know of this period is mostly a myth, also playing Clovis I means you would be playing the Frankish civ, not the French civ.

Civ List

I think you guys are forgetting the nature of RFC, specifically of the rise and fall of civs. It would be better to start thinking of how many civs at once we want to be playable (especially important for the multiplayer), once we know this we can determine which are playable, which are minor, and when should they spawn etc.

mitsho

Deity
- We do not have place for both Irish and Scottish, thus I'd rather have one civ and not *piss off* the Irish, same with the Scandies.
- Moscovy and Kiev, why not? but let's keep short on civs. If we can simulate them with independents I'd be fine. I would gladly kick out the independents if we wouldn't need them for collapsing civs (Or Barbs?)
- I added the "Arabs" again!
- The HRE starts with or is very prone to vassalize the Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, Lombard League depending on start date.

Timeline: So, is 870 to 1800 fine? (not 1789 as this isn't mean to be exact) Then I would be very fine with the lower civs:

Map idea:
See map page before with added Egyptian coast, Jerusalem, Damascus and Cyprus.

With your ideas:
Western Europe
France
England
Celts -> Scotland-Ireland
Netherlands
Burgundy

Iberian Peninsula
Castille -> Spain
Portugal
Andalusia/Cordoba/Almoravids

North & Central Europe
Norse (Danes -> Calmar -> Sweden)
Holy Roman Empire (with vassalised other states to begin...)
Poland-Lithuania
Austria/House of Habsburg
Switzerland

Eastern Europe
Eastern Roman Empire
Moscovy -> Russia
Hungary
Ottoman Empire
Abbasids -> Fatimids -> Mamluckes

Italy
Papal States
Venetia
Lombard League

Independents
Independents (Kiev, Italian cities, Valencia, "balcan cities")

Makes 22 civs if I counted rightly, A "Ukrainian" based civ might be feasible, I'm no expert if place is there. What do you think. Can we get a decision of the dictator (Lead Manager of the Project ;-)).

tommybabs

Chieftain
- We do not have place for both Irish and Scottish, thus I'd rather have one civ and not *piss off* the Irish, same with the Scandies.
- Moscovy and Kiev, why not? but let's keep short on civs. If we can simulate them with independents I'd be fine. I would gladly kick out the independents if we wouldn't need them for collapsing civs (Or Barbs?)
- I added the "Arabs" again!
- The HRE starts with or is very prone to vassalize the Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, Lombard League depending on start date.

Timeline: So, is 870 to 1800 fine? (not 1789 as this isn't mean to be exact) Then I would be very fine with the lower civs:

Map idea:
See map page before with added Egyptian coast, Jerusalem, Damascus and Cyprus.

With your ideas:
Western Europe
France
England
Celts -> Scotland-Ireland
Netherlands
Burgundy

Iberian Peninsula
Castille -> Spain
Portugal
Andalusia/Cordoba/Almoravids

North & Central Europe
Norse (Danes -> Calmar -> Sweden)
Holy Roman Empire (with vassalised other states to begin...)
Poland-Lithuania
Austria/House of Habsburg
Switzerland

Eastern Europe
Eastern Roman Empire
Moscovy -> Russia
Hungary
Ottoman Empire
Abbasids -> Fatimids -> Mamluckes

Italy
Papal States
Venetia
Lombard League

Independents
Independents (Kiev, Italian cities, Valencia, "balcan cities")

Makes 22 civs if I counted rightly, A "Ukrainian" based civ might be feasible, I'm no expert if place is there. What do you think. Can we get a decision of the dictator (Lead Manager of the Project ;-)).

What about Wales? Or is it to be part of England? You might "piss off" a lot of Welsh people then! (Trust me, I know, as an Englishman living in Wales.)

Personally I'd like to see them put with the Scots and Irish (then thrown into space)... only joking!

mitsho

Deity
What about Wales? Or is it to be part of England? You might "piss off" a lot of Welsh people then! (Trust me, I know, as an Englishman living in Wales.)

Personally I'd like to see them put with the Scots and Irish (then thrown into space)... only joking!

I actually meant that, I just not wrote it down...

Squirrelloid

Warlord
OK, I must make something clear. This is a Modcomp and not a Modpack. Whilst it'd be wonderful to have a modpack for this, we're sticking to the RFC mod as closely as possible, meaning some of the ideas here can't really be implemented. This is Rhye's of Europe and not the Big Europe Scenario (or anything along those lines).

The fact remains that its going to cover ~1/2 the timespan of the tech tree in the same number of turns as we usually go through the entire tech tree. This is a problem if substantial new content isn't added.

As far as I'm concerned, RFC is about sticking close to history, and adding certain features (notably UHVs, UPs as distinct from leader traits, and plagues/stability). Anything which makes it stick closer to history is a bonus, not a problem, so long as we can manage to implement it.

Again, we're dealing very much with the question of how many major civs we can reasonably have without the game gumming up (RFC isn't well-known for rapidity in the late game anyway). Also, Squirrelloid, your civ list leaves out most of Germany, but otherwise seems to be the same as the one I've drafted.

On the one hand, HRE == Austria/Hapsburg. On the other hand, HRE is a title, not a civilization. I really liked the suggestion in the earlier thread that HRE be a title catholic civs can compete for.

Further, there isn't really much *in* germany. The Teutonic Order is the closest to a German power in the relevant time period as we're going to get. (That and Austria). It would be great if every barony in Germany could be a non-playable civ players could talk to, but that's a logistical impossibility.

I hate to sound like a spoilsport but we have to think about ease of implementation and ease of play, as well as the fact that this is made essentially for RFC, and that RFC was not made for this.

I don't think i've suggested anything that would make play harder. It might take longer to implement, but reworking the tech tree could be accomplished over time - it doesn't need to be accomplished instantaneously. It should just be done eventually.

And this is made to be like RFC but for europe, not to mimic everything RFC does when its focus is clearly very different. No one is objecting to changing UHVs because we have to. As will probably become apparent during development, in order to make it play/feel right adding to and modifying the tech tree is also going to be necessary to make it play/feel right. (I'd like to see a medieval period that predominantly features heavy cavalry for a change, thank you).

OneDreamer said:
If you do anything more than this then it's going to be a different mod and you should think of another name and post in another forum IMO, to be correct towards Rhye's work and RFC's popularity.

As long as it has UHVs, plague/stability, and dynamic civ spawn, it'll feel like Rhye's, regardless of what else we add on to it. I can understand the arguments from simplicity solely for getting the thing going, but the nature of, for example, the tech tree, has no bearing on whether it'll feel like Rhye's or not. I mean, changing around the tech tree couldn't possibly make it feel any stranger than Rhye's reworking of the wonders. (Which was really bizarre when I first started playing RFC).

On another note, starting the mod in the merovingian period is a risk because what we know of this period is mostly a myth, also playing Clovis I means you would be playing the Frankish civ, not the French civ.

... The Merovingian Dynasty is generally regarded as the first dynasty of france and ruled over an area that was definitively within france as it exists today. Whether you want to count Charlemagne as a french king or not is your perogative, but he does start the Carolignian dynasty of France, which notably runs all the way to Louis XVI. If you want to count his rule as being something different, fine, but to disqualify Clovis as "french" because of it is like saying we can't have a Polish civ because they spent much of the 19th century conquered by someone else. The franks just became the french. (Heck, we even refer to the language they spoke as old french).

Civ List

I think you guys are forgetting the nature of RFC, specifically of the rise and fall of civs. It would be better to start thinking of how many civs at once we want to be playable (especially important for the multiplayer), once we know this we can determine which are playable, which are minor, and when should they spawn etc.

So where are the problems in my civ list? Would you like me to list spawn dates for all of them too? (I might have some trouble in Eastern Europe and Italy, but the rest? no problem). And all of them would be playable simultaneously if it came to that.

@Other Civ Lists:
I really don't think Ireland/Scotland deserve to be a playable civ. They're really ultimately most significant as part of an English -> British civ; heck, GB was ruled by a Scottish king for awhile. Some dynamic civ names (England -> Great Britain) would cover them just fine. I suppose I'd entertain arguments why they deserve to be their own civ, cause i'm not seeing it. (I do see England having a lot of problems with Independent city-states until they conquer the British Isles, and that's probably the best way to handle them).

I also really object to HRE as a civ. Its not. Its a title (see above). And having HRE and Austria at the same time will be really confusing. Teutonic Knights really are the unified Germanic power of this period outside of the House of Hapsburg/Austria.

No objections to Switzerland or Serbia (though it looks like Serbia got the whack in the last cutting).

I'm a little confused as to why Genoa gets so much hate. They were one of the most significant Italian city-states, and Venetia's major rival for control of commerce in the Med. Though I suppose I don't really care one way or the other if its Genoa or Lombard League.

And what's wrong with Occitania as an independent? It was more culturally developed than France until France convinced the Pope to call a crusade down on them. The only reason it doesn't suggest a playable civ is the same problem as Germany - lack of unification means it really needs to be a bunch of city-states.

So, ignoring independents for the moment, that gives me my initial civ list with mitsho's dynamic name progressions + switzerland, or Mitsho's list without the Celts and using Teutonic instead of HRE. (Ie, Mitsho and my list differ by Switzerland, Teutonic vs. HRE, Celts, and Lombard vs. Genoa). Which gives us 20 civs and 2 independent slots - easily room for Serbia or Ukraine or something else someone wants to make a case for.

Should be discussed:
Celts - yea or nay? If yea, why should they be included? What makes them worthy of being a playable civ and not just independents.

HRE vs. Teutonic vs. other - What's wrong with Teutonic Order as the Germanic civ? Isn't HRE already represented? (Austria/Hapsburg). Wouldn't HRE make a better title that can be awarded by the AP (or some other way), as it was historically? I suppose instead of Teutonic, we could do a Germanic States and have their UP be the Power of the Electorate, and toss this 'needs to be unified' criteria out the window. The leader should be Frederick Barbarossa. (and i probably spelled that wrong). It deserves mentioning that there is no good way to cause the 30 years war to happen since we simply can't make that many German civs, so accepting that they weren't really unified and letting them be a civ anyway may be the best policy. Thoughts?

I think we're actually really close to a civ list. Now I just need to go peruse how many of those UHVs have proposals from the previous incarnation of this project.

Vince-G

Chieftain
We don't need to be historically accurate completely, we must remember that gameplay is more important. "Ease of play", by the way, was directed at Disenfranchised and actually referred to the computer's ability to process it and so on.

The tech tree will probably be added to, and the modern and ancient eras taken off. (Probably a few civ type-specific techs too, like techs only available to Eastern Europe, or to the Ottomans and Mameluks.) However it won't be reworked totally and neither shall the game's features.

HRE should not be a title supplied in the Apostolic Palace, because Catholic civs like Spain and France should not be able to gain control of the HRE. The HRE should be a civ stationed in Germany, eliminating the need for an independent for each barony. I'm suspicious about the Teutonic Order because the actual nation of the Teutonic Order was rather small comparatively and was almost proto-Prussia. The HRE can then fragment as the game progresses.

I would like to remove the Celts to allow for either Prussia or Serbia. I'm sticking to my comments that Scotland and Ireland were not that important to be honest in the course of European history: not so much as to mean they should be played civs at any rate.

mitsho

Deity
Should be discussed:
Celts - yea or nay? If yea, why should they be included? What makes them worthy of being a playable civ and not just independents.

If you make them the Celts and unplayable, you might as well make them independents (saves one slot!). That's why I proposed them together. But we can scrap it, although I think some would love to play them?

HRE vs. Teutonic vs. other - What's wrong with Teutonic Order as the Germanic civ? Isn't HRE already represented? (Austria/Hapsburg). Wouldn't HRE make a better title that can be awarded by the AP (or some other way), as it was historically? I suppose instead of Teutonic, we could do a Germanic States and have their UP be the Power of the Electorate, and toss this 'needs to be unified' criteria out the window. The leader should be Frederick Barbarossa. (and i probably spelled that wrong). It deserves mentioning that there is no good way to cause the 30 years war to happen since we simply can't make that many German civs, so accepting that they weren't really unified and letting them be a civ anyway may be the best policy. Thoughts?

Friedrich Babarossa is correctly spelt. ;) The Teutonic Order is for me just too minor (it didn't last nor ressurect as it had no 'population' basis in its region) and much more important, it is too far East. I'd like to have *something* in Germany, although I am not quite sure what... I thus like your Germanic States option. The Thirty years War can be made by a Austria/Habsburg versus Germanic States then... ;) What do you think of assembling the civs of Northern Italy, NEtherlands, CH, Austria and Germanic states together losely somehow (HOW?)

And what's wrong with Occitania as an independent? It was more culturally developed than France until France convinced the Pope to call a crusade down on them. The only reason it doesn't suggest a playable civ is the same problem as Germany - lack of unification means it really needs to be a bunch of city-states.

Well, I just thought that they could be grouped together with the "normal" independents... ;-) and as you guessed I didn't think so far that OCcitania existed as a Civilization...

Serbia seems to have been taken out
Serbia (& Bulgaria) "quickly" succumbed to the Ottoman Empire and were quite weak regarding the Byzantines. If we look at the scope of the scenario, we see that they don't ressurect or only late (even if we go towards 1918!). This might of course be too much of historical determinism (as Greece is allowed to rise and not Serbia/Bulgaria?). Depending on the map however, the power base of the Ottomans will be the Balcans, so there are more things against Serbia than in favour of it.

I rather keep the place for "Kiev".

Genoa versus Lombards
Simply, Genoa is less famous than Venezia and there is probably the feeling there needs to be something land-based in Northern ITaly (HRE!). Both work imho and offer good possibilities.

So, m

Disenfrancised

Beep Beep
@mitsho: You'll insult them more by lumping them together ;). But Scotland was a unified political state that had influence on the european stage, something ireland, due to to its disunity never had (dispite its cultural influence).

Kiev is in the Ukraine :confused:? And the Kieven Rus were quite influential.

@Squirrelloid, re: Genoa: its also a question of interest - Genua would be sea-orientated civ in italy conceptual space taken by Venice which was more powerful and well known - easier to encorperate it into a Northern Italian overarching thing like the Lombards to give a different playing experience from Venice.
re; The Tuetonic order for a north german civ, why not instead have a north german civ that goes:
Northern March (Nordmark)->Brandenberg->Prussia

If we are listing independents at this stage I would like to put up:
-Novgorod
-Aragon
-Danzig
-Bohemia:prague
-Cymru:Carmarthen
-Brittany:Brest
-Ireland:Galway & Dungannon

onedreamer

Dragon
Italian Civs:

the Lombard League can't be a serious candidate for a Civ... and I think the Papal States should not be playable, nor should any civ attack them unless special events.
The only possible italian "civs" I can think of are:

- Venice
- Reign of Naples & Sicily
- House of Savoy

But I would probably leave out the third unless there's some gap that really needs to be filled.

edit: remember that Lombardy was practically never an indipendent entity, you don't need to feel obliged to invent a civ just to cover a one/two-cities territory. It can be under the control of the HRE, Habsburg, Papal States or even Venice.

onedreamer

Dragon
The Merovingian Dynasty is generally regarded as the first dynasty of france and ruled over an area that was definitively within france as it exists today. Whether you want to count Charlemagne as a french king or not is your perogative, but he does start the Carolignian dynasty of France, which notably runs all the way to Louis XVI.

I was talking of the Merovingian dinasty and not the Carolingian one. Btw the Merovingi originate from the Germanic Area. And their capital was in the Germanic Area. And Clovis was a FRANK. The fact that they started conquering part of France and that Charlemagne completed this conquest shouldn't suggest that the Franks are the same thing as the French.

Vince-G

Chieftain
I know I'm skipping a bit, but my friend gave me an interesting idea:

How about an Apostolic Palace resolution to call for an Inquisition? This would give a certain chance for each Catholic city to have other religions erased, but +1 unhappiness in all these city.

Squirrelloid

Warlord
I was talking of the Merovingian dinasty and not the Carolingian one. Btw the Merovingi originate from the Germanic Area. And their capital was in the Germanic Area. And Clovis was a FRANK. The fact that they started conquering part of France and that Charlemagne completed this conquest shouldn't suggest that the Franks are the same thing as the French.

Having just refreshed my memory on that period of history, i'll note that the capitol of the frankish realm (when it was united), as established by Clovis I, was Paris.

The Frankish realm was "centered" on Neustria and Austrasia. Neustria is entirely contained within modern France. Austrasia does contain some of what is definitively Germany now, but also contains land which has historically been contested (eg, Alsaace). The other major component of the Frankish realm was Aquitaine, which is also notably french (although that nationality is a renaissance era development). (With dynamic civ names, we could even start them as the Kingdom of Neustria).

As a people, their cultural history is best remembered and celebrated in France (in part because of how tied up they are in the history of Paris). France claims them culturally. That suggests they deserve to belong to a French Civ in this context.

Also, saying Franks can't be thought of as part of the french civ is like saying Anglo-saxons can't be considered English. (Or possibly Normans can't be considered English - take your pick). And my point with Charlemagne was that he's the only ruler who's clearly not 'just' a "french frank" (ruled "France") of what could otherwise be construed as a politically continuous "french" realm. (The Merovingian -> Carolignian transition not actually representing a real political break). Ok, one of two rulers; his son Louis the Pious is arguably not 'just' french either. But after him the empire fractures and we have a "french" political entity.

onedreamer

Dragon
Aha, you are right about saying that Clovis chose Paris as a capital. But the Franks originated from the Germanic Area (I'm including modern day Netherlands), from there they expanded into Gallia, modern day France. The argument that their reign included modern day France is a bit weak, the Roman Empire also did it. I'm not saying that French can't be considered part of the Frankish history and culture, I'm saying that the opposite can't be true, so you can't call Clovis king of the French because he wasn't, the French would arise as a sovereign kingdom only later, due to the succession law that Clovis himself invented (the Salic Law).

Squirrelloid

Warlord
If you make them the Celts and unplayable, you might as well make them independents (saves one slot!). That's why I proposed them together. But we can scrap it, although I think some would love to play them?

I suppose lumping all the independents together is fine. (See also: Occitania).

Friedrich Babarossa is correctly spelt. ;) The Teutonic Order is for me just too minor (it didn't last nor ressurect as it had no 'population' basis in its region) and much more important, it is too far East. I'd like to have *something* in Germany, although I am not quite sure what... I thus like your Germanic States option. The Thirty years War can be made by a Austria/Habsburg versus Germanic States then... ;) What do you think of assembling the civs of Northern Italy, NEtherlands, CH, Austria and Germanic states together losely somehow (HOW?)

The more I think about it, the more I like a Germanic States option. Its what RFC seems to do basically (though its painting so broadly that its the obvious solultion at that scale), and seems to be the most manageable solution without being silly. (Prussia in a game ending ~1800? snicker).

I'm not sure what you mean by "assembling".

Actually, having military alliances (a la civ III) would be very useful. I don't know why they removed those.

Also, we need to make the computer more willing to make deals with the human player. Part of what will make RoE feel like Europe is plenty of shifting alliances and multi-nation wars. But in RFC this is really hard to achieve since the computer just generally hates you and can be impossible to get to declare war on someone, even a typical enemy (germany on france - i've been trying to as Spain in a current game to no effect). Having the computer forget that you declared war on them in a more timely basis would really help, and would definitely improve the historicity of changing alliances of convenience and necessity that mark european history. (Civ III seemed much better for Machiavellian-style political play, whereas CivIV has a very idealized modern approach to political relations which I find rather annoying much of the time, especially when trying to simulate historical events).

Serbia (& Bulgaria) "quickly" succumbed to the Ottoman Empire and were quite weak regarding the Byzantines. If we look at the scope of the scenario, we see that they don't ressurect or only late (even if we go towards 1918!). This might of course be too much of historical determinism (as Greece is allowed to rise and not Serbia/Bulgaria?). Depending on the map however, the power base of the Ottomans will be the Balcans, so there are more things against Serbia than in favour of it.

I rather keep the place for "Kiev".

I just remember seeing it in your original list (i think it was yours), and my knowledge of the balkans being somewhat scant in the early stages of this period, i thought you knew something i didn't. No objections from me, honestly. I'm at least as happy with Kiev as I would be with Serbia.

Simply, Genoa is less famous than Venezia and there is probably the feeling there needs to be something land-based in Northern ITaly (HRE!). Both work imho and offer good possibilities.

The problem with Northern Italy is I'm having a hard time thinking of any serious political powers that were land-based. Much of the time they were dominated by someone else. After Venetia, Genoa really is the obvious Italian power. And for the sake of game balance Genoa + Venetia serves the same purpose as having both Portugal and Netherlands in RFC. (Ultimately, Portugal and Netherlands are tiny countries which did really well during the colonial period and thus exhibit similar but competitive gameplay. Similarly, Genoa and Venetia had similar goals, and competed in a similar arena, and will have to outdo the other to ultimately succeed).

In order to get other countries interested in Northern Italy, it should possibly be within the "historic territory" of a number of nations, and the AI weighted towards conquering it (or at least willing to consider the option). Actually... conquering Northern Italy could get you awarded the HRE title if you're catholic and friendly to the Papal States, which *would* mimic history very nicely. (If you're not friendly to the Papal States, they should award the title to their most powerful friend instead, who should then be highly likely to attack you in Northern Italy).

New business on the Germanic States: Should they start at the collapse of Charlemagne's empire (ie, 840ish), or earlier, possibly as the Kingdom of Austrasia. (With the French starting as the Kingdom of Neustria). The second option would give us another starting civ. In addition to Frederick Barbarossa, an early start as the kingdom of Austrasia means we could stick in someone like Charles Martel as a ruler as well. (Charlemagne needs to not belong to any one civ... I have some ideas on how to "simulate" his empire in game, but that can wait until later). Early French-German (I mean Neustrian-Austrasian) fighting could make for entertaining gameplay, and would mimic the Merovingian period rather well, actually.

Squirrelloid

Warlord
Aha, you are right about saying that Clovis chose Paris as a capital. But the Franks originated from the Germanic Area (I'm including modern day Netherlands), from there they expanded into Gallia, modern day France. The argument that their reign included modern day France is a bit weak, the Roman Empire also did it. I'm not saying that French can't be considered part of the Frankish history and culture, I'm saying that the opposite can't be true, so you can't call Clovis king of the French because he wasn't, the French would arise as a sovereign kingdom only later, due to the succession law that Clovis himself invented (the Salic Law).

Yes, they came from the east somewhere, who knows where originally. Guess what, so did the Spanish. The people who were Franks in Neustria under Clovis I would be the ancestors of the people who would be French in the same area. This is more than sufficient to consider them unified for a civ. You'll also note France takes its name from the Franks. Clovis also chose to be buried in Paris as opposed to Tournai (where his father and other previous merovingian kings were buried), a notable shift. Tournai, while in modern Belgium, was part of France when "France" was first used to designate a political entity (in 987 AD), and is barely inside Belgium today (in a region that is french speaking). Arguably, Clovis and his forefathers are from lands that are as french as anything. (It wouldn't become belgian until conquered by Charles V of Spain, and would become french again from 1668 to 1713).

Tournai was also part of West Francia, which is generally considered a direct precursor to France. (Notably, Charles II as numbered by France was the first king of West Francia).

Also, from Wikipaedia:
"Austrasia formed the north-eastern portion of the Kingdom of the Merovingian Franks, comprising parts of the territory of present-day eastern France, western Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands"

"The territory of Neustria or Neustrasia, meaning "new [western] land", originated in 511, made up of the regions from Aquitaine to the English Channel, approximating most of the north of present-day France, with Paris and Soissons as its main cities."

(Note, this means the Frankish kingdom was predominantly composed of french lands, even before we count Aquitaine).

Squirrelloid

Warlord
Yeah yeah, i know i'm posting a lot, i just thought i'd throw up some start dates for the likely civs on the proposed list.

Note, I'm assuming a start date of 500 AD. Start dates are in parentheses, with multiple dates given for multiple names marking the approximate date of transition. (In some cases it might be better to do name transitions based on cities held, especially ones like England -> Great Britain).

By region:
Western Europe
Kingdom of Neustria (500 AD) -> West Francia (840 AD) -> France (990 AD)
England (500 AD) -> Great Britain (1700 AD or by cities held?) -> United Kingdom (1800 AD or by cities held?)
Netherlands (uh... 1580 AD?)
Burgundy (500 AD)

Iberian Peninsula
Kingdom of Asturias (720 AD) -> Leon (920 AD) -> Crown of Castile (1230 AD) -> Empire of Spain (1520 AD)
Portugal (1100 AD)
Al-Andalus (700 AD)

North & Central Europe
Norse: Danes (500 AD) -> Calmar -> Sweden)
Kingdom of Austrasia (500 AD) -> East Francia (840 AD) -> Kingdom of Germany (920 AD) -> Germanic States (1260 AD)
Lechia (970 AD) -> Poland (???) -> Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (1570 AD)
Austria/House of Habsburg (1160 AD or 1280 AD)
Old Swiss Confederacy (1290 AD) -> Switzerland (1650 AD?)

Eastern Europe
Eastern Roman Empire (500 AD)
Kiev (860 AD?) -> Ukraine? (???)
Republic of Novgorod (860 AD) -> Grand Duchy of Moscow (1150 AD?) -> Russia (1500 AD)
Magyars (900 AD) -> Kingdom of Hungary (1000 AD)
Ottoman Empire (1300 AD)
Umayyad Caliphate (660 AD) -> Abbasid Caliphate (750 AD) -> Fatimid Caliphate (970 AD) -> Ayyubid Dynasty (1170 AD) -> Mamluk Sultanate (1250 AD)

Italy
Papal States (500 AD)
Republic of Venetia (800 AD)
XXX (Lombard League? Republic of Genoa (1000AD)? Something orange?)

Independents

By date:
500 AD (7 starting, 8 total)
-Kingdom of Neustria (500 AD) -> West Francia (840 AD) -> France (990 AD)
-England (500 AD) -> Great Britain (1700 AD or by cities held?)
-Burgundy (500 AD)
-Norse: Danes (500 AD) -> Calmar -> Sweden)
-Kingdom of Austrasia (500 AD) -> East Francia (840 AD) -> Kingdom of Germany (920 AD) -> Germanic States (1260 AD)
-Eastern Roman Empire (500 AD)
-Papal States (500 AD)
-Umayyad Caliphate (660 AD) -> Abbasid Caliphate (750 AD) -> Fatimid Caliphate (970 AD) -> Ayyubid Dynasty (1170 AD) -> Mamluk Sultanate (1250 AD)

700 AD (5 total)
-Al-Andalus (700 AD)
-Kingdom of Asturias (720 AD) -> Leon (920 AD) -> Crown of Castile (1230 AD) -> Empire of Spain (1520 AD)
-Republic of Venetia (800 AD)
-Kiev (860 AD?) -> Ukraine? (???)
-Republic of Novgorod (860 AD) -> Grand Duchy of Moscow (1150 AD?) -> Russia (1500 AD)

900 AD (2 total)
-Magyars (900 AD) -> Kingdom of Hungary (1000 AD)
-Lechia (970 AD) -> Poland (???) -> Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (1570 AD)

1100 AD+ (5 total)
-Portugal (1100 AD)
-Austria/House of Habsburg (1160 AD or 1280 AD)
-Old Swiss Confederacy (1290 AD) -> Switzerland (1650 AD?)
-Ottoman Empire (1300 AD)
-Netherlands (uh... 1580 AD?)

+1 Unspecified Italian City-State

Notes:
England should start with the Saxon invasion of Briton held England (Independent cities), and thus 500 AD is a great time for them to start. (In 495 AD the Britons repulsed Saxon invaders, who would soon make further attempts. Unfortunately, its impossible to nail down an exact timescale, but the Saxon invasion is clearly (re)starting in the 6th century).

I honestly don't know when to start the Netherlands as a civ. One reasonable approach is to start them at 1580 when they declared independence from Phillip II of Spain. Prior to that they were either possessions of the Holy Roman Empire or Burgundy. I really don't know why RFC starts them ~980 - knowing why Rhye chose then would be immensely helpful.

Burgundy has remarkable consistency of name over its history. It could be briefly transformed into Middle Francia, but it would be so brief and sandwiched between Burgundy on both sides that it doesn't seem worthwhile. (Note the ownership of Northern Italy is tied up in that possible name transition - an ownership which is rather complicated in the relevant historical period).

Finding the right name for "Spain" is remarkably hard. I chose to start with the Kingdom of Asturias as the first christian entity in Iberia, and proceeded to its most important successor Leon. (Imagine the accent marks, please). The eventual union of Castile and Leon led to the creation of the Crown of Castile, which is the actual name of that political entity. Finally, I date "Spain" as a name to the reign of Charles I (of Spain) aka Charles V HRE, because he's the first person to actually rule both Castile and Aragon.

I chose 1100 AD for Portugal as that is approximately when it declared independence from Leon.

Al-Andalus is conveniently a name used by the Islamic world in period to refer to the Iberian peninsula. Rather than try to track all the various Islamic political entities which ruled or vaguely ruled the area, its probably best to use just the one name.

I need help on Russia. In particular, if we're going to include Kiev (and i'm mildly inclined to), I really need help lining up appropriate transitions. Moscow doesn't become important until after the Mongol hordes have pounded Kiev into the dust, and Kiev seems to have been culturally distinct from more northern Rus settlements, which is why I'm considering Moscow a successor of the Novgorod Republic. This might be horribly wrong, and Wikipaedia isn't being especially useful. Someone who knows something?

Similarly, the Wikipaedia Poland history isn't especially useful in helping me identify contemporary names for the region currently known as Poland. This is not the area of Europe i'm especially familiar with, which means what i've listed is just a vague outline.

We have a choice on Austria. The first date I give is its elevation to Duchy status. The second date I give is approximately when the Habsburgs become the ruling dynasty. Clearly if we go with the name House of Habsburgs, we should use the second date.

I'm dating the name Switzerland to their gaining legal independence from the HRE. Someone with better knowledge could correct me.

Hungary *could* start as the Kingdom of the Avars in 600 AD, but probably not especially appropriate since those are a totally different people. I date the name Hungary to the coronation of Stephen I. Note the capitol should be Esztergom.

Muslim dynasties in the middle east are complicated by the fact that the Fatimids didn't actually replace the Abbasids, they competed with them. However, the Abbasids do get pushed completely off any map of Europe we're likely to use. Also note that I date the start of the Fatimid Caliphate from the founding of Cairo (which becomes their capitol), they actually start 60 years earlier in Tunisia. Also note that we may want to prune this list of names, but that does represent the relevant islamic power on our map during the relevant periods. (The Mamluk Sultanate was ended by the Ottomans in 1517, something that may get repeated in game)

I'm dating Venetia to its independence from the Eastern Roman Empire (ie, the Pax Nicephori in 803).

I've put a date on Genoa because that was easy.

mitsho

Deity
With assembly I meant making the vassal relationships more easy so that we have one "state" with some states. Another way would be permanent alliances, but we need to be able to break them up again... ;-) The same problem exists if we have Austrasia and Neustria... ;)

A problem with Burgundy: It starts as the "third" part of the Frank Empire, then gets integrated into the HRE and restarts after the Staufer ceased to exist, but a little bit to the North. We can still keep it though ;)

Proposal (for starters, will eventually continue)

~700 AD
Franks (UHV I: control the extent of Charlemagne Empire)
Al-Andalus
(Eastern) Roman Empire
Norse

~870 AD
Germanic State (Why not call it HRE? it breaks up Franks)
Venezia
Castille

~

st.lucifer

King
i'm going to second the inclusion of kiev/kievan rus/golden horde over serbia, as well. while that area (essentially a smaller version of modern ukraine) changed hands regularly through our historical period, it maintained a fairly consistent population and cluster of cities throughout. additionally, the ruler of that area wielded some serious economic power - both through the east while the silk road was disrupted by the crusades, and through the north, with most russian furs, timber, and rampaging vikings going south down the don and volga. you can make the argument that it was the largest buffer state between major powers, but the major cities at least had some tradition of independence. i'd prefer to see it united as one civ rather than as an independent, but it would make sense for them to have to contend with frequent and serious barbarian invasions.

if we're doing the maghreb, don't we have to have someone controlling it? do we use a generic caliphate, or make them tied to the muslim state of andalusia/cordoba? do they get jerusalem and damascus?

Top Bottom