Resource icon

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

For the wonder that spawns special transport, maybe it would be easier to let it be built anywhere, have a lower spawning rate (20-40 turns) but you would need 3 cities (Cartago, Appolonia and Crete) to show that you control the sea and that you have pretty much dealt with the pirates.

Also, I agree with Gelion : Rome shouldn't be a coastal city.

I, at least, generally use all of my captured servi in giant slave stacks to build roads in the conquered territories, chop down trees in a couple turns to speed production in conquered cities etc. This ends up having first Italy and later other regions, full of pollution, since my workers are by now off in Gaul, Asia Minor, etc.

I realize this is a strategic choice on my part, but if the Firaxis folks are to be believed (and I do agree), pollution is generally considered one of the least "fun" elements of the game.

To counter this could the Latifunda generate a Servus every 20 turns or so? This would balance the massive slave unrests/nuclear meltdowns. this would at least give a regular means of clearing slave unrest. It could be easily explained as growth in slave population, etc.

i like that edboltz, i think it is a good idea. its not a big stretch on the imagination either so i say thats good!

rome should not be a coastal city, since its not lol. about ostia, i think (although this is the wonder that would make sense for producing transports) i think we need a wonder that requires several cities such as carthago, cnossos, and something else. like you guys said. its a good idea, but i think it should be able to be built somewhere in italy only, though im not sure where. for that its as simple as adding an anchor for the desired city.

I just had a completely improbable thing happen - It is 85 BC and Hispalis in Spain defected to the Iberians. Might need to do some culture adjusting there that barbarian Spaniards have a higher culture than Rome.

Other small problem in 0.9; Funditores no longer upgrade to archers.
Also lost my only ore resource after only three turns, had to restart for that one! I thought random resources and volcanoes had been turned off?

loki1232 said:
What if the conquest of Britain was required for Caesar's legions?
It would be nice if there was some incentive for invading Britannia other than just recreating history but the Legio Caesaris is "needed" to conquer Gaul not Britannia. Caesar's short campaign's in Britannia in 55 BC had little lasting effect, the Legions were withdrawn and the Britons were merely forced to pay tribute.
It wasn't until Claudius almost 90 years later that Rome annexed Brittania with four legions and auxilia in AD 43.

I also agree. Caesar wasn't the victor over Britannia. He defeated Gaul and wrote a book about it. But isn't it so that you need Gaul to build Caesar's legions?

Erster.Heiler said:
I also agree. Caesar wasn't the victor over Britannia. He defeated Gaul and wrote a book about it. But isn't it so that you need Gaul to build Caesar's legions?
Yes, that is right, you do need Gaulish goods (resource). However, this is normally obtained by defeating the Greek colonies along the "French" coast. There is a Gaul resource near Massilia.

I thought Gaul is only near the city north of the Alpes - near the border to Germania. Are you sure that in v0.9 is a Gaul ressource near Massilia?

Erster.Heiler said:
I thought Gaul is only near the city north of the Alpes - near the border to Germania. Are you sure that in v0.9 is a Gaul ressource near Massilia?
Yup... tile 22,58 two tiles south of Vienna (Vienne). :)

Oh thanks. I thought I must start a attack against Gallien with ca. 12 legions - 2/3 of all my legions... With this info I can plan my new attack against my enemies. (I wasn't sure what to attack next: Greek, Carthage or the whole West with Spain and Wetern Greeks...)

Thanks.

EDIT: Rome had Ostia as harbor but I also agree that to make Rome a coastal city is not the solution. Think about it, if it is a coastal city it will be much harder to defend the city because of the possibility that the enemies start maritime attacks and conquer or destroy the heart of your empire easyly.

EDIT2: To the "transportproblem" I can't agree. If you spend enough time and build the Mare Nostrum you will get enough transports to attack even Cartahge. The problem is only to spend enought time in building transports...

I like Ebolts idea of slave being spawned by the latifundia and such but I doubt I would build them anyways : -2 culture + unhappiness by the latifundia way offset the advantages. Didnt Pink said he'd correct it some posts ago?

@Asclepius
It would be nice if there was some incentive for invading Britannia other than just recreating history

We could put a new luxury ressource (Britannia goods) near the last city that we can conquer on the island. It certanly would help to balance unhappiness caused by the different crisis and by the slavery building and I would try to hold on to those cities if there was something like that.

@Hrafnkell
I just had a completely improbable thing happen - It is 85 BC and Hispalis in Spain defected to the Iberians. Might need to do some culture adjusting there that barbarian Spaniards have a higher culture than Rome.

It happenned many times in my game that a city would defect to one of the barbarian nations. In 1 game, I lost all of cartaginian spain to cultural defect (not at the same time but over a 100 year or so).

Re: luxury resources for Britannia. Caesar was supposedly enchanted by fine pearls which were naturally available only in Britannia. Some experts regard it as a part of his reason for going there!

Almost forgot... Recent excavations in north county Dublin have hinted at the presence of a roman outpost there. work on the site was then closed down with no apparent reason given!
but the point is moot.(no ireland on our map!)

I look forward to trying it, but 146 Mb means a lot of time waiting in my slow slow internet connection... :(

Is this still the Beta version? Do you expect to release something like V1.0 soon?
I'd hate to wait all that time for a version to be improved soon.

Luthor_Saxburg said:
I look forward to trying it, but 146 Mb means a lot of time waiting in my slow slow internet connection... :(

Is this still the Beta version? Do you expect to release something like V1.0 soon?
I'd hate to wait all that time for a version to be improved soon.
Yes, this is still a beta version but it is fully functional though. I don't think Pinktilapia will be releasing a definitive version 1.0 for at least a month.

A few thoughts on version 0.9;

I've now played up to "the soldier emperors" and it's AD 225. The Germans have been extremely aggressive and have declared war twice in the last 70 years. However, I have managed to build a continuous limes fort from the Northern Rhine all the way along the Danube to the Black Sea. An essential defence line. I have all of the Barbarian Goods and they're not getting their hands on any of them!

I no longer think it necessary to increase slaves road-building speed or fort-building speed. By AD 1 a reasonable player should have a massive stack of workers and slaves, which makes construction of anything possible in only a few turns.

Increasing the efficiency of Latifunda and producing free slaves is not necessary, the game will become too easy!

The only problem I still have with road building is in the early game when early conquest is held up by slow advances. I suggest increasing the worker rate of the early Legio, but leave the Marian and Imperial Legions as they are.

A great side effect of propaganda after Antonine's Golden Age is a free Cohortes Imperatoriae in any city that defects! :goodjob:

The Scythian hordes are now massing on my borders, I think this is going to be bloody....!

Top Bottom