Rise And Rule Revisited (epic mod)

But what to do for balancing reasons with the Shaolin Monks for the Asiatic civs ? These civs also would need a unit with horses as a prerequisite. What Asiatic fundamentalist unit would suit for such a setting ?
Mercenary mongol cavalry?

Haddu and jlvfr thank you both very much for your interesting input. :)

Samurai Dajō Tennō: According to the Wikipedia "Dajō tenno" is a title customarily applied to a retired emperor. Until now I cannot see here anything religious combined with a mounted warrior in that term. Edit: When looking at your link, the abdicted emperors frequently were in monasteries - so there is a religious component. But is Samurai Dajō Tennō really an existing unit ?

Mongol Mercenary Cavalry: Allmighty gold in my eyes is not enough for a religious fundamentalist unit. Is a banker a religious fundamentalist warrior ?

The Uighur horseman: :think: At least not so prominent as a Shaolin warrior monk.

Mounted Shaolin warrior monk: I have never heard about it.

To give the Shaolin warrior monk a different resource prerequisite than horses is also unbalancing the game.

Last edited:
Samurai Dajō Tennō: According to the Wikipedia "Dajō tenno" is a title customarily applied to a retired emperor. Until now I cannot see here anything religious combined with a mounted warrior in that term. Edit: When looking at your link, the abdicted emperors frequently were in monasteries - so there is a religious component. But is Samurai Dajō Tennō really an existing unit ?
Dajō tenno - The Emperor is a monk.
There were samurai in his army.
There may not have been a special name.
That's my expression.

:think: A "Dharma Warrior" would be at the same level as the "Ghost Dancer" and was mounted on a horse.

Thanks Civinator, I'm glad to join CFC!
I understood and thank you all for the clarifications and guidance!
I know the C3C problem in this matter, but I thought that maybe it can be fixed in RARR...

As for the "special" units of each civilization... it depends, what you want to do about it!
If you want the units to be exactly as in history, I think we can help you by searching and making a list of these units, for example, Rome:
1. Rich soldiers = cavalry
2. Medium soldiers = heavy infantry (hastati, principes and triaris)
- The Hastati were the front-line soldiers, equipped with helmets, oval shields, swords, throwing spears and a brief chest protector.
-Principes, a bit richer, had better equipment, usually chain mail shirts and shin guards.
- The triaries were the veterans and represented the last line of the legion. They were thrown into battle, in desperate situations and had the role of heavily armed lancers.
3. Poor soldiers= The poorest members of the republican legions were velites. They could only afford simple armaments. In particular, it is about spear throwers, archers, slingers. They served as support troops.

And so on...

I personally think that the connection between a resource and a special unit must exist! You can divide the special unit into two stages, one soft (without the resource) and the other heavy (with the resource)!
Perhaps the construction of certain specific units, which only another civilization owns, should be conditioned by a certain resource... For example, the Sherman tank, or the Russian T, or the German Tiger... the Spitfire, etc

One more thing... I don't know if you have this in your plan, but... maybe an imbalance regarding the units of each civilization... in this way there will be few similar units... I think the confrontation would be more challenging!
Sorry, if I went a bit beyond the original topic...

Thank you for your attention!

Last edited:
Something like that?
:yup: This was exactly the most impressing image I had found in the internet that lead me to the name "Dharma Warrior". Of course there must be found a different Civ 3 unit to fill out that roll in the game.

Put a resource - Incense.
For everyone.
We don't need horses.
Yes, this could be done, as incense in RARR is a strategic resource - but all other units of that category in the game are mounted on horses, so the resource horses is fitting very well - with the exception for that asiatic unit.

As for the "special" units of each civilization... it depends, what you want to do about it!
MilsB, RARR in most cases is only an optical update of some of the most prominent traditional Civ 3 mods: DYP, DYP2 and RAR. I respect the work of those ancient master modders, who created these mods and therefore I don´t want to do big cuts in the settings those modders gave this mod long time ago. I made some additions and fixes, but no deep cuts.

In the mod CCM 2.5 I made my own unit lines and settings and this is the place for such thoughts of diversity of units. But this mod still has some thousands of units and there I solved the problem to give more diversity by "heavy units" and "normal units" in a game by autoproducing some heavy units additionally to the units, that can normally been built by a civ. Per example your Tiger I heavy tank in CCM appears autoproducted by the SW Heavy Tank Plant in addition to the normal Pz III and later Panther tanks. Later the Tiger I can be upgraded to Königstiger tanks, when having the proper tech and the proper resources. That SW provides other civs with other additional tanks, too, per example Russia with KV 1 tanks and later IS II and IS III and T 10 tanks, the US with Pershing tanks and later M103 tanks and so on.

Civinator, I understand now, what you want and how you want to do this Game-Mod! Anyway, it's a very, very well made Game!
The first time I played the random map, at warlord level to see how the game is and I really liked the concept, then I tried the world map, which gave me a headache! :)
If it helps you, as a simple player, I can report the bugs, if there will be any!

Thank you for your patience and explanations!

Last edited:
I have experienced the following bug several times. If you capture the last enemy’s town, but he has a settler sailing in a boat, the game might get frozen. I think, this happens, when the enemy without any town but with a boat and a settler runs out of money to support his units. I have come to this conclusion by going back in time trying to prevent the game crush. Once I destroyed the boat and the settler first, another time I made peace and let the enemy keep 1 town. In both cases the game didn’t crush.

Yes, that's the "houseboat bug", which is not only a problem with RARR: it can also occur in the base-game.

However, if you have installed Civ3Complete from GOG.com (or Steam), this bug (and most/all of the other known bugs in C3C) can be fixed using @Flintlock's patch-system, detailed in the following thread:

:yup: Yes, as tjs282 posted, it is the houseboat bug and yes it can be fixed by playing Civ 3 Complete with the Flintlock mod.

I think, this happens, when the enemy without any town but with a boat and a settler runs out of money to support his units
This is an interesting thought - and this is the reason why I made this post, so tjs282 answered all perfectly. :)

Top Bottom