Rise of the Daimyo

I think randomizing the iron and the starting locations would be good way to go.

I want to respond but while out here over-the-road 90% of the posts I type I must copy because the connection is so crappy and it takes several times to get it to post. Anyway, thank

Thank You El Justo for responding. As you can see this is a tough topic, a give and take with either randomizing resources and/or Clans. I see that the strategic resources are placed in such a way that causes the 2 closes clans to race/fight over its location and I really like that. Random clan selection gives everyone a chance of being the luck closer clan but doesn't change the fact now the other neighbor still knows where it is.

I don't believe giving everyone everything will work, there would be no reason to fight and it is essential that these strategic resources are covered by barb camps so they are earned, in this case the neighbor could pounce after the others units are thinned out after fighting the barbs so placing them an equal distance between the 4 pairs would work.

On the luxuries side I am too puzzled why they are placed as they are. My guess would be suppress unhappiness of the player who would need to sustain attacks trying to win the iron for instance and the opposite a few just compete if the previous prevails.

I think randomizing the start positions may turn out very difficult, if you want to keep them at equal distances from each other while at the same time ensuring they provide even chances and have comparable "strength" (in terms of f/s/c).

But if you think that can be done, I vote for it.

Lanzelot

I believe I understand how you feel about randomizing the starting positions. But I think we my be putting too much thought into this. Today, everyone involved knows the layout of the game. They know who starts where in relation to them, what direction the iron is in, which resources need to be hooked up first. All the basic info needed to get their game off to a great start. But isn't that what we want to change? True, the game was originlly laid out in a logical manner that worked out well for most. Some tribes were blessed with more secure location, some with a better Settler factory, but all with a comfortable begining.

The island is only so big. The mechnics of the game can probably be set up on a defult setting where all the cities are separated by a certain amount of tiles (I could be wrong). If it can be done that way, I think we may want to look at a test map. If not, oh well. We gave it shot. But I think giving everyone a brand new game is worth a try.

If randomizing starting locations is not an option, then using some method of randomly assigning tribes may be an alternate path. If no one knows who they are going to play, at least there will be that. Even if a player winds up playing the same tribe as before, at least there was that moment of anticipation, waiting to see if the dice rolled in your favor.

I guess I'm just trying to throw some spice into an already great game. :dunno:

They know who starts where in relation to them, what direction the iron is in, which resources need to be hooked up first. All the basic info needed to get their game off to a great start. But isn't that what we want to change?

Yes, all that can (should) be changed, so that in the beginning everyone is completely "in the dark" about where the others and the resources are. That's fine with me. Let me explain better, what I'm trying to achieve: the start positions should all be of "equal strength". To give an extreme example: I want to prevent that one start position has let's say lot's of rivers, cows and wheats, while another one has only crappy jungle and forest... The original map more or less guarantees this.

Other than that everything can be complete random.

So if we asked El Justo:please: to to remove the strategic resources and place them in locations protected by the barb camps that would provide competition but have that same strategic resource available to the losing party but farther away(example pic attached) iron being the main focus. The horses are less important but could be a game changer:whipped: as well and should also be covered by barb camps.

Although Saltpeter is a late game Strategic resource there is only 2 sources available which is well and fine if the game goes from 8 to 4 and then 4 to 2 players.:spank: but my guess is that won't be the case. Lets assume of the 8 players 4 of them dominate the map, this assumes they are fairly equal in most factors and now the Saltpeter becomes the turning point.:trouble: I don't believe 4 is needed maybe just 3 or if only 2 they should be opposite of each other if the map is divided equally from SW to NE.:ninja:

I like the map and where the starting locations are maybe the luxury resources can be played with a bit, it probably doesn't need to much attention.:eekdance:

Now for randomizing clans, this is not an option in the scenario:badcomp: BUT someone like El Justo can decide based on what he thinks at the time who will be located where. this is the only way I can think of, other than some kind of drawling system.:help:

Please add your opinion and/or anything I didn't cover.
Ray

Hmmm.Your right Eclipse. The starting positions are probably as good as they're going to get. Takeda seems to be favored too much, but such is life. Let's leave the Luxs where they are too. At this point, I'm not sure re-arranging the locations of Iron will really do us any good. So let's just leave the map alone and work on players/clans.

If all 8 players (you might want to add Hawklord's name to the post #1 list) will post a number from 1-100, and El Justo has a number pre-selected (between 1-100) all he'll have to do is take the player who is closest to his chosen number and make him Date (#1), second closest is Mori (#2), and so on.

Calis can't play for a couple of weeks, so we're not in any rush. And I know this was your game, and I want it to remain that way, so whatever you think is best.

just put the names in a hat and draw them out. I don't know this scenario that well so I don't know where all the resources are but hey that's part of the fun. Just had a go a few days ago and one thing I discovered is don't put your big boss in an army cos you can't upgrade him after that. Doh.

AMAZING!!!
and going to be undesribable!

I was sent a few invitation to Google Wave. At first I thought it was just another networking site I would have to add to the collection I already have that I can't keep up with now.

Well I watched the video and learned at some point very soon I'll will be managing everyone of those Groups, Forums, facebook, MySpace accounts, email etc. from just one place!

I'm very excited about it because along with the games we play here I like to add a bit of flavor to them by adding RPG or story elements to them and challenging others to do so as well. I'm willing to bet even this Forum will have connectivity to it. With that said I have created an account with my gmail address which most of you know and already getting out of it things I wished I could do using other means.

Watch the 8 minute video and judge for yourself, I think it will take my gaming to a new level

I'd like to join this one again. But I cannot play for the next approx. two weeks. So if you guys are willing to wait, I'd be in.

Calis, for 1, Blaze. This post is dated 12/06/09. And we still haven't decided on the map. Or are we just going to leave it as it is? That works for me. But I think we need to communicate with El Justo about randomizing the player/tribe listing. I still think getting him to choose a number between 1 - 100 is the best way to go. If all payers then posted their choice of number 1 - 100 in this thread, it would be a very transparent way of doing things.

What did you have in mind?

I believe El Justo would help us with anything we need.

I for one think the only thing really needed is the iron to be moved a bit BUT it is very insignificant when just simply randomizing player's start location is possible

45 would be my chioce between 1~100, so that says I like this method of determining player slots

I'll take 100.

I am so sorry guys but we must scrap the numbers we have just posted.

I have just asked El Justo in a PM to make the position numbers up so it is best he does that before we post a number

Ok, can he post here when he's done?

Advertisement

Have you ever played a "Succession Game"? Currently we are trying to decide whether setting up a new edition of the SGOTM series is worth the effort, as the number of participants has been declining. I participated in last year's SGOTM 14 and can confirm: it's a lot of fun, and especially PBEM players might enjoy it a lot. You play in a team of like 4-6 players, each one playing 10 turns and then passing on to the next in the roster. Strategy and tactics are discussed and decided by all team members. Each team usually consists of 1-2 world class players, a couple of experienced players and 1-2 beginners. This is a great opportunity to "peek over the shoulder of a master at work" and get first-hand insight into his thought-process and the reasons why he favors this or that decision.
If interested, check out these threads:
Future Civ3 SGOTMs
Ideas for SGOTM 15

Lanzelot

Top Bottom