RNG is alive and well

dalgo

Emperor
Dalgo's Dragoon (Free Colonist) (4.40) vs King of England's Soldier (Regular) (2.30)
Combat Odds 98.9%
King of England's Soldier (Regular) has defeated Dalgo's Dragoon (Free Colonist) :)

I experienced this several times during WoI, too ... units with 90% success-rate loosing to the kings regulars and dragoons. There is a rumour that certain defensive-modifiers (e.g. for mountains) are not used for the precast but used for calculating the combat ... so it probably is rather a bug in combat-solving than in RNG ...

Did you properly :worship: the RNG before battle? If not, you should not be surprised if the all powerful RNG turns against you ...

Well, they include the source code of the RNG (and the whole combat algorithm) so you can see for yourself what it does.

Dalgo's Dragoon (Free Colonist) (4.40) vs King of England's Soldier (Regular) (2.30)
Combat Odds 98.9%
King of England's Soldier (Regular) has defeated Dalgo's Dragoon (Free Colonist) :)
You don't play Civ4 on a regular basis, do you? Otherwise, you'd be used to losing your elite troops while having 99.9% chances of winning. ;)

Look. O.K. If it bugs you that much. "New random seed on reload" + "Autosave = 1". There ! Job done !
;)

It doesn't bug me at all actually, I was just amused. Maybe I'll win some at 01.1% to make up for it. :)

Well, if you play long enough, you'll typically win 1.1% of them... ;)

I think that it should not be to difficult to mod combat in a way that the attacker always wins if odds are better than 50% for him while the defender will win the rest. Combat would still be computed in rounds to determine the damage the surviving unit would take ...

What do you think? Will removing the RNG-effect from Combat-Results improve the Fun-to-Play or will the game become boring? If you know the outcome of the next battle, it is more like chess than throwing dices ... but you can still loose your winning unit the next turn to a counterattack ...

I experienced this several times during WoI, too ... units with 90% success-rate loosing to the kings regulars and dragoons. There is a rumour that certain defensive-modifiers (e.g. for mountains) are not used for the precast but used for calculating the combat ... so it probably is rather a bug in combat-solving than in RNG ...
Please remember:
90% win = lose 1 of 10 combats
95% win = lose 1 of 20 combats
98% win = lose 1 of 50 combats
...so it just happens that you lose combats from time to time, especially when using stacks of 20+ units ... the RNG is working correctly.

PS: No, I am not a member of the "I've just lost a 99,9% combat" club (but a friend of mine is)

Top Bottom