Roads and Rails

damnrunner

Deity
I have never really understood the reason why railroads give such ubiquitous advantages in all of the civ games. I don know about you but if my hometown had its roads replaced with railroads I would not get an econ or production bonus. Also it just looks sort of odd to see a map completely covered with traintracks.

My suggestion is that roads keep the same benefits. With the invention of automobile you can upgrade them to paved roads which have an increased movement rate. From 3-5 squares. They could also have increased commerce or production rate.

The real modification though would come with rail roads. They should provide and increase in movement rate (10 squares) but should also come with a disadvantage. This could be decreased food production and possibly commerce and hammer production as well. Another possibility is that they could cause unhappiness in nearby cities. Later in the game a technology should allow for maglev trains which have infinite movement but even worse (or perhaps just different) disadvantages.

This addition to the game would add an entire new dimension of strategy as one tries to optimize troop transport as well as tile improvement. It would also create interesting military situations where you could disrupt strategically important supply lines. Although changing the benefits and values of roads / rails would be fairly easy to implement getting workers and the AI to adapt to these new rules would be difficult. Since workers on auto already seem to be fairly inept I doubt they would make good decisions on railroad placement.

I was aware of that roads no longer have the same benefits as they did in previous civ games. However even though there is no longer a production benefit to roads and rails it is still the optimum strategy to build a road and later rail on every single square. Right now the only reason not to build a road / rail is to build something else instead and by the mid game you have already built everything anyway.

One thing I like about Civ IV is that you actually have to make some choices with your workers when building improvements (farm vs town etc) and I think the player should also be forced to make choices when it comes to road / rail construction.

Personally I think the road econ bonus should come back.

Top Bottom