Rock Band Behaviour

Playing on Deity, use of rock bands is a must for a cultural victory (I think I've only ever won once cultuarally without them).

They do, however, exhibit some odd features.

First, It seems to me that there are only three promotions worth having, in order Glam Rock, Roadies, Arena Rock. What is the point having a weaker promotion (for, eg, campuses or wonders) rather than the stronger ones for theatres and entertainment centres.

And in terms of tourism earned, they seem to grow nicely, to quite a high level, then drop back down before growing again. I don't see from the explanations of the unit why this should happen.

For my part, I would like to see (a) unlimited promotions, so you're not just limited to two district types, and (b) gradually but consistently increasing tourinm earned for longstanding bands.

Any thoughts?

Rock Bands are somehow boring for me. Playing the Age of Abundance challenge by Standard Rules without them (and without Ski Resorts, which are not as interesting as Seaside Resorts and National Parks, as they require no planning) was kind of enjoyable.

Playing on Deity, use of rock bands is a must for a cultural victory (I think I've only ever won once cultuarally without them).
I honestly don't use them too much, because I tend to go extremely hard on national parks. With proper planning and making sure to secure modifiers (open borders, great merchants etc.), a huge amount of national parks early just tends to create a juggernaut of tourism that mows down AI civs. At that point, I just use rock bands to cross the finish line a bit faster, but not as my main source of tourism.

It's all about getting enormous tourism as soon as early as possible, otherwise AI culture starts to buffer your tourism and at that point you might need to rely excessively on rock bands and even declare war (to reduce population).

I always think think of the Space Rock promotion as the better one in terms of survivability of said Rock band. The whole rock band disbanding seems more like dice throwing, so I guess performing one level above in the most available district is a good thing, right? At least it will ensure that the rock band lasts long enough to get other promotions.

I always think think of the Space Rock promotion as the better one in terms of survivability of said Rock band. The whole rock band disbanding seems more like dice throwing, so I guess performing one level above in the most available district is a good thing, right? At least it will ensure that the rock band lasts long enough to get other promotions.
Yes that's generally the way to go. The risk of rock bands disbanding is very high unless they get promoted, so increased tourism on a concert is often more useless than it sounds compared to increased chance to level up on a concert.

Top Bottom