RoM 2.71 Full Maybe the Best RoM ever!

JosEPh_II

TBS WarLord
No Mod will ever be Balance perfect. It's too subjective and all dependent upon play style and player perception.

Stable, yes relatively so as far as BtS in general and Mods go. Even REVDCM has had bugs in each of it's versions. So if you use the REV Option you may encounter an old bug or 2. Without REVDCM turned on RoM 2.71 was very playable

It was probably the last Full version that Zappara was really excited over. Even though I like 2.81 almost as much, it was getting harder for zappara to devote the time needed. A New Dawn was taking over the fan base at about that time too.

Afforess and Zappara collaborated on many things. But Zappara also stated he was not a SDK/Python modder while Afforess was learning at a prodigious rate in those areas. Even Afforess has stated that of the base RoM versions 2.71 was his favorite too.

I guess you would've had to be there from RoM 0.80 to 2.92 to fully understand or even try to explain even briefly like I'm trying now, (and failing badly).

Even when REVDCM was 1st introduced to RoM1.0 by kalimachus as an addon I begged zappara to keep it always as an Option. And he did that too. All the RoM versions from 1.0 up can be played without or with REV. And each way has it's own attractions.

Sorry for the disjointed post. But trying to condense so many memories and good times to a concise statement of why 2.71 may be the best is alluding me. So Much was put into it.

JosEPh :)

I guess you would've had to be there from RoM 0.80 to 2.92 to fully understand or even try to explain even briefly like I'm trying now, (and failing badly).

That is exactly why I am asking. I am in the search of a good mod to play. AND looks very buggy now and I am not sure on what to jump. I could possibly do modding myself in the future so I am very interested about the history of all these developments. Thank you for the post.

does this one makes the turns faster than zappara's one

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something-Plato

iNaFLatLanD, a hill thinks herself as a mountain....

does this one makes the turns faster than zappara's one

2.71 is a Zappara one. It's an earlier version of Rise of Mankind (RoM) than say RoM 2.92, which was the last one Zappara put out.

Turn speeds are dependent upon your computer for the most part. 2.71 has less content than 2.81, 2.91 or 2.92 so it Should have shorter turn times.

2.71 was the 1st RoM to use the then new Official patch 3.19. Earlier versions require 3.17 and 3.13 Official patches to play the further you go back. Except RoM1.03 which will play with All the Official BtS patch versions.

RoM1.03 is extremely stable since it doesn't require a custom game .dll nor does it contain REVDCM. Once upon a time I had All the versions of RoM, RoM 0.80 thru RoM 2.92. But a HD crash cost me most of them.

All versions after 1.03, 2.0 and up, have gamecore.dlls and REVDCM. All versions from 2.0 and up, Because of incorporating REVDCM mod into RoM, will have Bugs IF you play with REV turned On. Almost all of them are Stable if you Turn REV Off. Many players won't play without REV and that Is their choice. But it also means there will be Bugs and/or CTDs. REVDCM was being developed and refined the same time RoM was. So Generally a New REVDCM version helped precipitate a New RoM version. But No REVDCM version has emerged yet (that I am aware of) that doesn't have a bug show up down the road. That's just how it is.

JosEPh

I have added a link to RoM 2.81 lite for anyone that cares to have another version of RoM. See OP (1st post).

JosEPh

Hello,

Following recommendation, I downloaded RoM 2.91 (from Gamefront).
I cannot play it.

I could not unzip the file in the BTS/Mods folder but could do it in a root directory and copied the whole folder in BTS/Mods (2.91 is supposed to be BTS compatible, according to readme). Everything looks OK apparently.
When I load the mod, it starts normally, by restarting. I then see the screen flashing and BTS just shuts down.
Is there something I can do, or another roM version that would give less trouble?

Thanks for helping.

You Must Not unzip the mod to the Main directory. You will need to reinstall BtS if you did so.

Unzip 2.91 into an empty/New Folder some place outside the Civ IV directory. Then inside that folder copy the Rise Of Mankind folder (always check to see if a 2nd RoM folder is inside the 1st, if so copy the 2nd not the 1st) and Paste that folder into c:program Files....\BtS\Mods folder.

To launch load BtS then select the Advanced Button then select Load Mod and Pick Rise of Mankind.

JosEPh

Thanks Joseph, but it is IMO what I did.

I may add that I may not be patched. I acquired a 2010 compilation of the complete Civ4, so with probably patches.
However, once, I downloaded and patched the game (on another computer of mine). IIRC, it annoyed me because tanks/modern armors had lost the collateral damage option.
Maybe I should patch?

Yes the game must be patched to 3.19 Official patch to play RoM2.91. If you need to patch the in game patcher is screwy. D/L the patch for CFC and manually install it.

JosEPh

Your Welcome! :)

JosEPh

My HD went bust so I use another laptop, an identical one of mine, where the bare Civ4 was installed.
I installed ROM but I get an error message like "error version 302. Expected version 301 or lower".
Otherwise Civ4 itself runs fine and I can load any of the preinstalled Mods.

Looking for a fix, I discovered ROM-AND (Oh?), downloaded and installed.
When I load the Mod, I see a lot of HD work, the screen flashing twice, then nothing (CIV4 has shut down).

I ran the 3.19 patch but how come I can be sure that the game is patched: when I run 3.19, I see the programme starting but no message of any kind?
I hesitate reinstalling the full Civ4 as my DVD has scratches. And I live in Central Africa, where getting a new one is hectic.

Thanks for advice, like in the posts before when you sorted me out.

Otherwise Civ4 itself runs fine and I can load any of the preinstalled Mods.

Do you actually mean Civ IV or BtS (Beyond the Sword)?

I installed ROM but I get an error message like "error version 302. Expected version 301 or lower".

This usually indicates a Patch Problem. If you installed RoM 2.71 then BtS only needs the 3.13 Official patch.

If you Installed RoM-AND (what version?) then BtS must be patched to 3.19. Which means that RoM2.71 will probably not work as it is based off the 3.13 official Patch.

The 1st Time RoM-AND starts it takes a few minutes to load up. Even longer if you have less than 3GB of ram on your laptop. Also your video card specs in the laptop need to have Pixel shader 2.0 or better and at least 512MB of DDR2 ram. 1 GB or better is recommended. So give it more time next time. After the 1st time loading and you can then play the next time won't take as long as it builds a cache file to hold settings, etc..

Thanks Joseph for the quick answer.

I had ROM 2.91 and patch 3.19.

I got back my computer with a blank new HD. So tried to install Civ 4 BTS with my scratched DVD and it worked (/end sweat).

I got back my old HD as an external drive, with it crashing every now and then. So what I did was to overwrite on my new computer with BTS the whole Sid meier's director(ies) from my old computer.
I can load ROM. But I cannot load my lastest game (I was getting a score of 1.5M at Emperor in 1600 A.D. and still getting 15k points per turn, pretty frustrating). The game crashes saying "unable to uncompress data".
Then I also copy all the MyGame directories (from MyDocuments).
The game crashes again, but I have no time to read the error message.

On the other hand I could start a new game of ROM-AND.
Then I stop because I am exhausted.

Good night. Or good morning I assume (Tryhard from HeavenGames).

The game crashes saying "unable to uncompress data".
Yes this is a save game incompatibility message. Probably will need to start a new game, sorry.

JosEPh

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for the help.

For some reason CIV4 could not run on the new computer, a problem with DivX.
Installing ROM-AND solved the problem at once.

Wait. I can play without the DVD? I just did it for hours.
That would be fine. I got two laptops stolen, in 2010 and 11. Each time with the DVD in it.

Yes the Official BtS patch 3.19 allows you to play BtS without the CD/DVD being in the drive of the computer. Very helpful of Firaxis for that! We can all safely store away our disks until we get a new computer or need to re-install for whatever reason. :)

JosEPh :D

Top Bottom