RoM AND Guild and Corporation guides

phantomwolf13

Chieftain
Being new to this amazing but very complex mod, I found the guilds and corporations pretty confusing. So, I decided to create two guides to help me choose which guilds and corporations to build.

In addition to providing a summary of the information in the sevopedia, the guides can also help to choose which guilds/corps to build based on your resources -- Excel formulas calculate the actual yield in each incorporated city. You only need to input the number of each resource you control. It also tells you the total number of resources consumed by the guild/corporation, which can help give you an idea of the amount of maintenance required, since the maintenance scales with the number of resources consumed and the population of the city (I don't know the formula or anything, this is just from memory).

If you don't have Excel or can't open the spreadsheets, I'm also attaching screenshots--but you won't get the full benefit of the guide (i.e. the actual yield calculation), just the summary section.

In the corporation guide, I also included some loose categories of corporations. These are just my observations based on which corporations compete. It doesn't give a great picture about the complexity of the competing corporations, so please chime in if you have other observations / recommendations.

I hope other people get some use out of these. Please let me know if you spot any errors. And since I tend to go on year-long breaks from Civ from time to time, please feel free to modify these if they need to be changed for some reason.

Attachments

• CivIV RoM-AND Corporation Guide.zip
    119.3 KB · Views: 344
  • CivIV RoM-AND Corporation summary.jpg
    CivIV RoM-AND Corporation summary.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 1,009
  • CivIV RoM-AND Guild Guide.zip
    15.3 KB · Views: 354
  • CivIV RoM-AND Guild summary.jpg
    CivIV RoM-AND Guild summary.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 887
Nice work!

It would be ideal to have this "calculator" integrated in game of course, but this is a good start - i'm certainly gonna use it :)

One thing I've been wondering that I've never had a long enough game to determine is: Do guilds compete with corporations where the same resources are used by both?

I was about to make something like this for myself, but decided to search first -- wow thanks, these are superb!

I've been playing this game for a good time now. I'm doing good on Emperor with Raging Barbarians so far (monarch if playing with revolutions).

But corporations and guilds always seemed pretty random for me!

I usually build 2 or 3 Guilds and 3-4 corps but i never knew how did they showed up...

I appreciate the charts as well. Good info. I was confused when I got the message in-game last night that I could now form the Artists' Guild with a great artist, but when I finally got one, couldn't find the command to make it happen. I have realistic corporations on, so that side of things makes sense... I shouldn't be able to manually start corps/guilds. But does that mean that I still need a great artist to have the guild spontaneously start, ie. should I keep him standing around in one of my cities? Or is that a deprecated game message that just needs to be removed given the realistic corporations option? Does anyone know precisely what conditions must be met for the Artists' Guild to form?

I appreciate the charts as well. Good info. I was confused when I got the message in-game last night that I could now form the Artists' Guild with a great artist, but when I finally got one, couldn't find the command to make it happen. I have realistic corporations on, so that side of things makes sense... I shouldn't be able to manually start corps/guilds. But does that mean that I still need a great artist to have the guild spontaneously start, ie. should I keep him standing around in one of my cities? Or is that a deprecated game message that just needs to be removed given the realistic corporations option? Does anyone know precisely what conditions must be met for the Artists' Guild to form?

Ok I think I have the answer because a while ago I was looking for the same information, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

If autofounding is disabled, great people can be used to found corporations but not guilds. If autofounding is not disabled (default) great people have no impact on either guilds or corporations so there's no reason to keep them hanging around on that account

With both realistic corporations and guilds turned on at game start there is no way for guilds to be founded by the player whatsoever, even if autofounding is disabled...
...which means, disabling auto-founding from the ctrl-alt menu in-game allows corporations to be founded by normal meas but not guilds but will still prevent guilds from forming anywhere on the map by their own accord.

I tend not to use realistic corporations as an option these days in part because of this very reason as well as the fact that anytime my civ is the HQ for corporation/guild that boosts production (I find this the most useful variety follow by food producers then research producers) it can be frustrating to see it fail to expand to major cities in a timely fashion while less significant settlements receive its benefits much more quickly. My favorite map is my own edition of the Europe/Far East gigantic (the original, the XG map versions are simply too large for my system) playing as the HRE (not a starting civ in the original, that's my own edit) so I tend to organize urban centers according to history and make them into capitals of district administration- so after some expansion Aachen, Amsterdam, Paris, Berlin, Vienna, and Rome end up as my most important cities. However, making a city into an effective administrative capital has the central prerequisite of a high production yield and ultimately a large population so implementing this policy means if my civ has production/food boosting corporations they need to be present in those cities and it can take a very long time for them to spread there on their own even operating with a handful of pro-corporate civics to enhance their expansion rates.

Personally, even though I appreciate the gameplay element introduced by using realistic corporations greatly, the lack of control in both their establishment (guilds) and their growth (guilds and corporations) makes me favor the traditional system.

Speaking of corporations, does anyone here favor a non-corporate economic development process in their personal game style? Because it seems to me that planned economic policy would be a superior option only for civs that has limited total resources in a game where rival civs do not share this disadvantage.

With both realistic corporations and guilds turned on at game start there is no way for guilds to be founded by the player whatsoever, even if autofounding is disabled...
...which means, disabling auto-founding from the ctrl-alt menu in-game allows corporations to be founded by normal meas but not guilds but will still prevent guilds from forming anywhere on the map by their own accord.

Do you mean that guilds will be founded with auto-founding [on] and realistic-corps [on] ? Or do you mean that just the player has no direct control over it ?

And another thing: in one game I was running coinage instead of guilds for civic but a guild still spread from another nation into my cities. I got strong bonuses because of it, like a +8:hammers:. But when I switched my civic to guilds everything became disabled, because I was missing the guilds hall in those cities (and couldn't build it due to the lack of gold).

Is this normal behaviour ? Seems strange that the bonuses where much more prominent and switching to the guilds civic was actually a huge disadvantage for the guilds in my cities.

Top Bottom