RR15 - Mills for D. Quixote

r_rolo1

King of myself
After yet another slugfest to win the last SG, now due to a couple of world wars in the modern eras, i decided to make a far more lenient variant to get a more relaxing game:
Code:
- No farms, cottages or mines except in resources that need them to get the resource in the trade network ( that is: mines only in metals + gems tiles and farms only in cereal tiles . no cottages whatsoever )

- All of the above improvments that come with captured land have to be pillaged or bulldozed ASAP . If that is not possible ATM they can't be worked.
Simple isn't it ? Well, atleast it will make the early game far more interesting :D

Anyway the game is a simple Monarch Standart Normal Fractal map ;) I got a random leader ...
Spoiler :

... and had to regen a couple of time to get a non forest spam no cow glitch start :(
Spoiler :

I don't see any reason to not settle in place. Too bad about the hut :/

Roster

r_rolo1
nocho
lymond
LKendter
IdiotsOpposite
timmy827

Alternates
-----------
-----------

(?) means pending confirmation

I happened to be on. And I get email notifications whenever I get a private message or topic reply. Sooooo useful in conjunction with Messenger.

Looks like Currency and Machinery are target techs. Maybe go for a Machinery bulb (no Fishing) Possibly Oracle > MC.

We might want to go AG>AH>Writing straight up to get up libraries asap.

Looks like Currency and Machinery are target techs. Maybe go for a Machinery bulb (no Fishing) Possibly Oracle > MC.

We might want to go AG>AH>Writing straight up to get up libraries asap.

Lurker:

nice catch... windmills, watermills, workshops... state property will be godly with this rules ;-)

Ok, lymond, you're in :D

Definitely we need Machinery earlier than in a normal game. Not sure if we can make a Oracle gambit on this ( no marble nearby as far we can see and not much of chops available ). Anyway Ag as first tech is IMHO indiscussible. Not sure if BW or AH after than though ...

Personally, I'd prefer AH. It gets us Horses and allows us to work Cows, and food can't be underestimated when you're unable to build farms. Also, we might want to avoid Slavery this game, although that's just a thought. We won't have the massive farm spams that help whip people out after all!

I think that is the dilemma. Whipping will be a big source of production early for us with lack of mines, so there is a case for early BW. However, fastracking an early Creative Library will help in many ways. For one, it will allow us to fund expansion early with little commerce to be had. I like the Writing beeline via AH since libs are cheap with limited production. AH is a natural progression with the bonuses regardless of no AH resources - but there usually are plenty and seeing horsies is always nice. Of course, path could change if early rush ops are present.

No way can Slavery be avoided with this variant.

Oracling MC and bulbing Machinery seems viable if we can avoid Fishing early. Oracle>Machinery will be tough though since we will likely have to self tech MC which is a big one and our research will be limited.

We will probably make use of Caste a lot at some point as well for scientists and merchants, probably mainly merchants.

Hopefully, we will see stone as well so we can get up the Mids since SE is the way to go here.

Possible quick early settler with corns and soggy banana to grab key resources if present. Plus, start another GS running in another city. Thinking GS bulb of Machinery here

Yup, GS to machinery surely looks like the way to go here. The issue is Oracle->MC ,especially without some chops or whip overflows. And OFC as we want to put our hands in the Mids if possible ... This is quite tight in a variant with very little prod expected :p

In

Heading to bed, so comments later.

Lurker: Harsh restrictions. I so hope that you find some commerce sources close soon otherwise this is going to be tough :p but that is what I like.

First quick comment - I agree we *have* to get to watermills quickly.

The issue is exactly how ;) I like lymond's idea of bulbing machinery, but that is critically dependent of needing fishing or not ( note that we can use seafood in this variant :D ) ... and anyway we will most likely need to go atleast writing before that .

I'll waive my spot. I'm going to move to a new flat most likely in the next couple of weeks and don't know yet how long it will take to get a new PC/Inet. Have fun guys!

If we go agri-AH and straight writing, with worker first I think we'll end up with lots of turn with the worker idle. Those techs will take what, some 35 turns? Worker in 15, 2 corn farms 10 turns and some walking, that's only 28 turns give or take and then worker can go and sleep. Then after writing still lots of turns to go before something to do (wheel or BW).
So I'd go BW first after agri and probably even squeeze in wheel. We might chop out an early settler at size 2 or 3. Early game we won't need too many workers it seems...

Share nocho's idle worker concern, although I think pausing the set soon after AH would make sense anyways for a tech decision.

I'm not convinced that early machinery is absolutely essential. Windmills and watermills are 1C better than working grass forest.

Top Bottom