Rubrum's GURPS - United Humanity Long Distance Exploration

As Fraser looked at Nozomi, she reasured him that she was alright. "I knew my martial arts training would come to use". Nozomi then notices the dark corridor and took note to remind the others to bring a flashlight once things are brought back to normal. "We should head to the control room and not take any side tours".

"Well the sick bay is the closest emergency access to the control room and is on the right anyway but yes we need to get the others back out of stasis asap."

[Alex heads towards the door to the sick bay, looking ahead for any signs of damage or anything unusual. He will inspect the control panel for the door for options on how to open it, hoping to not have such an explosive shock again.]

GM UPDATE POST

The two started pacing slowly in the corridor, curving with it slightly towards the left. They were passing by the crew cabins section's door in that strange vacuum environment when Nozomi noticed something... Alexander Fraser was too curious about where the light was coming from and was rushing forward, but Nozomi's vision had rapidly adapted to the darkness and her acute vision sensed something different from her memories of the ship...

She looked up and noticed some... masses. A thick power transmission set of cords was running along the corner between the briefing room wall and the ceiling, and along this cord, several masses were visible, stuck on the cables, at various intervals. They were hard to really describe as more than this... Two-feet wide balls of... Something not regular and not smooth. Dark in colour, maybe a bit brownish.

Alex was now almost at the level of the sick bay and could see where the light that peaked his interest came from. It shone rather brightly now through the far door of the labs section. That door was opened. It was a little distance away, while he stood next to the sick bay door.

Spoiler :
Vision rolls were made, results obvious

Nozomi becomes suspicious of the brown lumps. "I have a hunch that something must have gotten onto this ship while we were enroute to this location". Nozomi then primes her energy weapon, ready, just incase something goes bump in the corridors. Nozomi then proceeds to follow Alex into the labs. She walks in backwards, covering the rear. Nozomi then proceeds to tell him that there is something unusual that has happened during the time they were in stasis. She then tells Alex that she noticed there were power transsmition cables strone across the briefing room with brownish limps on it. "I don't remember seeing the briefing room looking like a bull moose just had a party in there" Nozomi said as calmly she could.

GM UPDATE POST

[Note: you don't see inside the briefing room. The power cords are built-in on the ship and transfer energy around the ship, what's weird are the masses that you described. The cords are in the corridor, in that corner created by the ceiling and the briefing room wall]

Nothing seemed to move as they walked pass the sick bay up to the open door of the laboratory. Alex peeked inside quickly... and behold... Stuff was thrown around a bit, and there was a gaping crack in the hull. The light was coming in from frickin' wide open space. Alex was staring at the Gliese star and could jump out of the ship through the wall crack if he wanted to get lost in space. The hole was about 3 yards in radius and irregularly shaped, the hull was torn inward inside the Odyssey 2169.

Alex surveys the damage to the laboratory and gaping hole in the wall with shock "Hey, Nozomi, I found the problem. Something blew right through the hull into the laboratory, but whatever it is it didn't go through the wall to the hallway."

Realizing he had nothing to plug up the hole Alex does the next best thing. "I'm going to shut this door, hopefully we can refill the atmosphere in the hallway, we can't do anything about the hull breach yet".

[goes to shut door after Nozomi has had a chance to look at the damage]

Spoiler :
*jumps out gap* I'm in SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

While in the laboratory, Alex closes the door. Nozomi then turns around and notices the gaping hole. "Well, that explains the vacuum in the ship. But how did it happen in the first place?". Nozomi takes a moment to scan the laboratory. "This hull breach better be the only breach on this ship". Nozomi proceeds to scan the room for any other open doors.

Spoiler :
Can't resist a Portal 2 joke, can't ya? :p

GM UPDATE POST

The quick inspection didn't yield much. The damage and hole was mostly closer to the geology equipment but it didn't look like a lot of equipment was lost. A computer terminal was obviously missing but that was that. Nozomi looked to find more of the masses but found none. Alex closed the door, it zipped closed, vacuum silence style.

GM UPDATE POST

The two walked back towards the sick bay door, this time both of them took notice of the masses on the power cords... One every 5 yards or so, but not very regular.

The command panel for the door was exactly the same as the other one. Alex pressed the open button and, as he had guessed, the door refused to open and gave a code signal that was the reverse of the one he had previously encountered; this time the door refused to open to protect the room on the other side since it had atmosphere. Alex punched in the override code but this time took his time to confirm. He saw that there were two ways to open the door. The first one was as quickly as possible, which would be sure to send them flying into the briefing room wall again. The second mode opened tiny septums into the door to let the vaccuum invade the sick bay in a non-violent manner. This procedure would take a few minutes.

GM UPDATE POST

The door seemed to vibrate a bit for a long time... Both were patient. Eventually, it slid open and revealed the small sick bay, home of Dr. Laszlo Martin's future office... Stuff seemed to have been stirred. There were empty wrappers for various medical equipment on the floor and a trash bin full of them. A diagnostic bed was in full sight. A cool blue light bathed the area. It was a smooth comforting light, but also felt a bit claustrophobic for now. At the end of the room was the emergency pod to go upstairs. Basically a ladder inside a small tube barely large enough for one person at a time. Its functioning was simple, a person entered the tube with the ladder. Atmosphere was pumped in, and the hatch to the upper level would open once that was done. It also worked in reverse, a person could come from an atmosphere section, close the hatch, then a vacuum was created inside and the door would open into the vacuum environment.

EDIT: Of course this emergency ladder goes upstairs in the control room.

Alex enters the room as he looks around "These wrappers don't bode well, I really hope those brown things aren't the cause of our crew mates' injuries." He makes his way to the emergency pod and stops in front of it. "Nozomi I think you should go first in case there is any trouble waiting for us above, you're more prepared for combat than I am."

Nozomi simply nods and arms herself and cautiously climbs the emergency ladder.

Top Bottom